2024-2025 preseason previews

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
With the Bahamas news dominating, thought I’d make a thread where we can aggregate all the preseason previews/rankings for Mason and the A10. Here is one I saw today from CBB Review. Has Mason at 4th in the conference (would be a first!) and 86th in the nation.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Give me a double bye, give me a semifinal Saturday appearance. Give me a championship Sunday appearance and net cutting ceremony.

If this group can't achieve at least 2 of these things with Tony as coach, I'm not sure anyone can as coach of George Mason Men's basketball. Period. Time is now.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Give me a double bye, give me a semifinal Saturday appearance. Give me a championship Sunday appearance and net cutting ceremony.

If this group can't achieve at least 2 of these things with Tony as coach, I'm not sure anyone can as coach of George Mason Men's basketball. Period. Time is now.
Especially since most of our rotation will be gone after the 2024-25 season. It’s now or never.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

And with all the extra playing time we got in the Bahamas...Oh wait, wrong thread.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Especially since most of our rotation will be gone after the 2024-25 season. It’s now or never.

Hopefully Skinn can retain most of those who have eligibility still. Should be a decent core to build around:

Quigley/Begg
Ball/Cokley/O’Connor
Haynes/Emejuru/Sivka

Would need a 4 and a good wing, but there’s some potential to be had depending on how the above players develop and if they stick around or not.

Anyway, yes, if this years’ team can gel I don’t see why we can’t think winning the conference this year is a possibility.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Don't forget to factor in the new logo bad juju in your predictions.

I predict we forget to book buses and hotels to Brooklyn and forfeit the PIG.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Don't forget to factor in the new logo bad juju in your predictions.

I predict we forget to book buses and hotels to Brooklyn and forfeit the PIG.
Worse yet, someone DOES book buses and hotels to Brooklyn. You may want to cancel your reservations now, Walter.

The 2025 Atlantic 10 Tournament returns to the Nation's Capital March 12-16 at the Capital One Arena. We can Uber to the games!

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It would be really funny if the logo was the equivalent of Mikey the Chimp and helped get Men's basketball back to where we all want it to be...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully Skinn can retain most of those who have eligibility still. Should be a decent core to build around:

Quigley/Begg
Ball/Cokley/O’Connor
Haynes/Emejuru/Sivka

Would need a 4 and a good wing, but there’s some potential to be had depending on how the above players develop and if they stick around or not.

Anyway, yes, if this years’ team can gel I don’t see why we can’t think winning the conference this year is a possibility.
I wouldn’t even worry about retaining decent core etc. if we do well this year it’s a 2 year build at most with the portal and turnover etc.

We’ll see how my post ages, but of the 8 you mentioned I’d be happy if we retained half of them for the next year.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We’ll see how my post ages, but of the 8 you mentioned I’d be happy if we retained half of them for the next year.

I still think continuity will be important, especially at our level. This is true even in professional sports.

I also don’t doubt we will have a few players transfer because that’s just the way it is now. But hopefully we aren’t trying to recruit 10 brand new players again.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I still think continuity will be important, especially at our level. This is true even in professional sports.

I also don’t doubt we will have a few players transfer because that’s just the way it is now. But hopefully we aren’t trying to recruit 10 brand new players again.
I hope we have some continuity, but I just don't bank on it anymore. I expect 5-7 new players every year, minimum.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hope we have some continuity, but I just don't bank on it anymore. I expect 5-7 new players every year, minimum.

5 players is one thing, but if we lose 4 players to transfer on top of the 5 exhausting eligibility you are essentially recruiting an entirely new team again.