2023-24 Basketball Season: Hopes, Dreams, Wishes and Analysis

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Regardless of Haynes’ waiver situation, the trio of Polite, Maddox and Billups will be one of the better backcourts in the A-10.

Maddox is gonna light it up offensively, Billups finally gives us a guy capable of locking down scoring guards, and Polite is poised for a huge year on or off the ball.

It’s a guards league and we’re in great hands in that regard.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
The only thing I'm certain about is that we won't be a 3pt shooting team. Shooting from the bench will also be suspect. Tre Wood or Okojie will get an opportunity to lead the team bc we all know Polite's history.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I really have no clue. We could be surprisingly good, or we could be 13/14 as some pundits have stated. How's that for being non committal? IF Haynes is eligible I like our chances to surprise. IF Maddux and Hall play up to expectations we could be top 4. If they display the lackluster attitude I saw at summer league we're a cluster f&ck. Too many variables with this team. Will they gel and buy into Tony's system? Will we establish an identity that we have lacked these past 12 years? Will we actually press and give opponents 40 minutes of hell? Damn good or inconsistent at best. The 24-25 season I will have different expectations across the board. In any event if we win game one I'll predict a National Championship. After our first loss I'll proclaim that all is lost. ;)
I don’t think anyone who isn’t at practice on a regular basis could offer any more certainty- spot on!

I do think everyone is sleeping on Dinkins - no one is mentioning him. He is going to be a breakout contributor for us - book it!

Purely uninformed commentary from me at this point, but here's what I'd really like to see:
1) A waiver for Haynes
2) A true pressing team - even more than Shaka and Coach L's versions
3) Me to have the patience to watch a true pressing team - there will be nights when we get smoked by it
4) Act like an older team - Cuz we are one
5) Run the big men in and out to keep them fresh, but let them stay in the game when they hammer someone
6) Own the paint - no more opposing PG's driving the lane for layups in the closing seconds
7) Tony to get them ready to play so we don't spot everyone a 10-point lead
8) Make the press (turnovers and fast breaks) make up for the loss of Oduro points in the paint.

I'm usually a glass half empty guy, but this year feels like a big opportunity for Mason. We are bigger, more experienced, and dare I say it "more athletic" than we've been. If we can generate an average offense, we should be over .500 in conference play. I'm going with 20 wins and 5th place.

I hope I don't have people pulling this post up and mocking me next March.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
New coach and mostly new players. I expect a lot of trying to figure things out early.

My expectations are they improve throughout the season, don't quit, and play exciting ball.

And, hopefully, win a game or two in Brooklyn.

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Purely uninformed commentary from me at this point, but here's what I'd really like to see:
1) A waiver for Haynes
2) A true pressing team - even more than Shaka and Coach L's versions
3) Me to have the patience to watch a true pressing team - there will be nights when we get smoked by it
4) Act like an older team - Cuz we are one
5) Run the big men in and out to keep them fresh, but let them stay in the game when they hammer someone
6) Own the paint - no more opposing PG's driving the lane for layups in the closing seconds
7) Tony to get them ready to play so we don't spot everyone a 10-point lead
8) Make the press (turnovers and fast breaks) make up for the loss of Oduro points in the paint.

I'm usually a glass half empty guy, but this year feels like a big opportunity for Mason. We are bigger, more experienced, and dare I say it "more athletic" than we've been. If we can generate an average offense, we should be over .500 in conference play. I'm going with 20 wins and 5th place.

I hope I don't have people pulling this post up and mocking me next March.
Lot's of good points. And YES, those stupid "we don't want to foul so let's let the other guy go end to end in 1.2 seconds for an easy score" drive me crazy!!!

that report is well written, and Top 100 is pretty accurate with the talent we've assembled. If everyone receives a waiver, we might be talking at-large or NIT bids come this March.

I really think everyone is underestimating how good of a player Darius Maddox is. I think he may average 18-20 PPG this year. yes, he's that good.

that report is well written, and Top 100 is pretty accurate with the talent we've assembled. If everyone receives a waiver, we might be talking at-large or NIT bids come this March.

I really think everyone is underestimating how good of a player Darius Maddox is. I think he may average 18-20 PPG this year. yes, he's that good.
Maddox really, truly is the main X-factor for this team. If he can cook, at the very least that is a very very dangerous pairing with Ronny.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maddox really, truly is the main X-factor for this team. If he can cook, at the very least that is a very very dangerous pairing with Ronny.

For me, it’s Keyshawn Hall. Even if Maddox is closer to Bailey than he is to Schwartz next season, if Hall’s per 40 stats are legit and he puts together a sophomore season that trio of Polite, Maddox, and Hall is going to give the A10 fits.

By the way, the only thing that preview missed on is called Malik Henry a small forward. And he’s definitely going to push Kelly for the starting spot if Haynes doesn’t get the waiver.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I can't wait to get my first look at this squad! The potential is there. Last year there was an open practice on September 17 at EBA. Any word on if we'll have something similar this season?

GMU79

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow! The kid has done his homework!
And I agree, this roster is better than either of Kim's.
Sure hope he's right on his prediction. And finishing higher than vcu would be so cool!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow! The kid has done his homework!
And I agree, this roster is better than either of Kim's.
Sure hope he's right on his prediction. And finishing higher than vcu would be so cool!
I hope he is wrong about Haynes and Woody. Kinda need them to finish top 4 or 5.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Updated to reflect Haynes and Newton not currently being eligible, outlook much less rosy without Haynes' proven production, but I'm down with watching a team that is defense first

Attachments

• Mason Box Score.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 221