Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Women's Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Mason Sports' started by Pablo, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Mason WBB‏@MasonWBB
    Patriots (No. 10 seed) will play Duquesne (No. 7 seed) in the first round of the A-10 Tournament at 2 p.m. Saturday in Pittsburgh.
  2. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

3. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

4. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

5. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

Looking purely at the record, that looks pretty stagnant to me. I liked what I saw when I used to go to the games in previous years, but not convinced her results are making the case. Is anyone more familiar with the team? Do they look like they are about to turn the corner?

Is this the make or break year for her?
  6. tarvis614

tarvis614 Walk-On

one year left on her contract.

they definitely have some young talent. started off looking improved, but relied heavily on 3 of the freshmen and kind of hit a wall the 2nd half of the A10 schedule. took some of the top teams in the conference down to the wire but couldn't finish, but also got worked over by 20-30 a couple times. another 4 freshmen coming in next season with 2 transfers becoming eligible. there's potential but definitely have to start realizing it. need stability too. roster turnover has been a big issue - none of the 2017 senior class were at mason for all 4 years and only 1 senior coming up next year.
    InterVarsity likes this.
  7. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

Yeah, I figured it was likely her 5th year. I am guessing, with no facts, that maybe women's coaching doesn't have the same issues as men's that you can't let them coach in their last year of a contract because it would impact recruiting. Or am I wrong, and her entering the 5th year without an extension is likely saying she is likely to be gone after next year?

Thanks for the insight. A good friend that has been to a lot of women's games once said they always look like that (good in the beginning but once we hit conference play, reality sets in). Is the turnover on the team a result of the coach trying to build a better team for the future, or are players leaving the program early?
  8. tarvis614

tarvis614 Walk-On

probably a little bit of not as much pressure/interest on the women's side in general, but also in a unique situation at mason where we are trying to scrape every penny together to fund a practice facility. plus she has them involved on campus and in a lot of community service so there's good pub. no idea what it would take for her to get a new contract after next year, but assuming it would have to be better than 6-10 in conference again.

mostly kids not sticking around. don't have any insight into whether it's just a stretch of bad luck with kids being kids & getting homesick or if there were other issues.
  9. Washingtonian

Washingtonian All-American

10. Washingtonian

11. Washingtonian

12. Washingtonian