Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Who's your Daddy?!?! - Welcome Bahaide Haidara

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by p8triotfan4life, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Starter

"Grand"-Daddy! :crazyeyes:
  2. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

It appears that he was enrolled in a 2-year pre-university program - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson_College:

"The CEGEP offers two types of programs: pre-university and career/technical. Pre-university programs take two years to complete and cover subject matter that roughly corresponds to the additional year of high school given elsewhere in Canada, as well as university-level introductory courses that prepare students for their chosen field in university."
  3. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Starter

Daddy is listed as a Freshman on the team's roster. Otherwise, wouldn't he have come in as a sophomore?
    FreeGunston12 likes this.
  4. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I'm guessing that it's equivalent to playing for a post-graduate prep school in this country.
    FreeGunston12 likes this.
  5. Herndon

Herndon Starter

...I'm going to be honest, his H.S. tape is maybe less impressive to me right now. It's a little bit different to be kicking a bunch of high schooler's asses when you're 20.

(Then again, given AJ's performances this year, maybe I should just not doubt super athletic players :) )
    DJ3 likes this.
  6. Leesburg Chankenstank III

Leesburg Chankenstank III All-American

You're wrong Herndon. Like Kramer said: "It's not about the age, it's about the skill level:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t8xwpW8gJQ
  7. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

We all weren't sure what we'd see out of Daddy, but I've seen a player who is a barrel of energy who hits the boards hard. He doesn't play that much, but when he comes in, he usually gets a key rebound or a put-back.
  8. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Kid is about as polished as Greg and literally cannot dribble which is surprising for a former PG.... but BOY does this kid hustle which you would think would earn him mins... Hope he plays more than 6 mins today because it is always a benefit to go longer. I hate seeing lineups of Jamal (useless), XJ (seems to have gotten a lot worse or is injured) and Kolek (3point shooter but inexperienced). Maybe Dady can take one of their mins a bit more.
  9. mkaufman1

Yeah I mean I'm not expecting him to be a PG option or even a shooter at this point. He basically is a role player who does the things I've mentioned. It is early in his career but this is what he is through 4 games.
  10. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

Did we ever figure out if he took a redshirt last year or if he’s playing this year as a sophomore?
  11. Petey Buckets

Petey Buckets Starter

We have a roster full of athletic guys that don't shoot very well. Why we don't at least *try* to pressure the ball and play more uptempo is mind boggling. We see it for brief stretches in some games and it's just about the only time where we look like we're any good. Our halfcourt offense is the proverbial doorknob-humping over and over again and anything we can do to see less of it is a good thing.

Wouldn't expect to see us run today either with the short bench, but still #FreeDady
    gmutom, Pablo, mkaufman1 and 4 others like this.
  12. mkaufman1

Agreed. If we are going to have a team of "athletic horses", turn the tempo up and play fast. Get easy buckets as much as possible.

If it's anyone to play this way against, it's against these out of conference teams who aren't as long or athletic. At the very least save the slow tempo for when you can't out run the other team.
    sleeperpick and gmujim92 like this.
  13. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Sophomore.
  14. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

We have to get the kind of stops that allow us to run, and we haven't been good enough rebounding the basketball to get our guards on the break.
  15. Herndon

Herndon Starter

So, it appears we have figured out what we're going to get from Daddy this year, which is 15 blood-and-guts minutes where he fights with tooth and claw for every loose ball, commits 2 turnovers (generally of the head-scratcher variety), and gets 5 boards, 2 steals, 3 personal fouls, and 4 garbage points.

You know, I'll take that. There's a place on my team for a guy who isn't that skilled, but is going to fight you for every inch with maximum effort, and do so with size and athleticism.

I can see him being an undersized 4 for his career that makes up for his lack of size with effort and athleticism, sort of like an A10 version of NBA Jae Crowder
  16. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

Dady is one of my favorite players on this roster. He knows his role and plays it well. You can’t teach what he’s brought this year, hustle and heart. Doesn’t try to do too much offensively which is just fine.
  17. mkaufman1

Agreed with the above. If he adds a little shooting ability that would be great. I could see him being a little bit of a more athletic and polished version of Ian Boyd. Always need a guy like that.
    JimP likes this.
  18. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Starter

This guy is really quick. He has had a couple of flashes for layups that dropped my jaw. I hope Daddy can be more than an attempt to catch lightening in a bottle. Build him up. Capture that bolt.
  19. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

Was his wrist injury on shooting hand? Maybe that's got something to do with him not making a single Free Throw this year.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  20. patriot2000

patriot2000 Starter

Why are you shouting?
    GSII likes this.