Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Where Are They Now?

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Pablo, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

No, thank you. Completely fresh start is preferred by me.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  2. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

The fact that he hasn’t won enough yet doesn’t mean he can’t or won’t. But yes ultimately that’s all that matters.
  3. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Yup like Simpkins as a man but they need to wipe slate completely clean. Retire the 90 year old secretary and her curmudgeon husband as well, the training staff can’t be that great since we seem to have more injuries than the rest of the planet so say goodbye to them too.
    tblack33 likes this.
  4. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

If we can get Castro, I’ll bake him cookies myself
    gmutom, tblack33 and sleeperpick like this.
  5. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

You’re not a dumb man Jim so please follow along when our KenPom is 250 and we are 12-2 and I tell you to “wait on it” you call me a “hater that should go root for another team” and then we get massacred against A10 teams again. You’re not an idiot like p8triotdN4life, swimom and most of the geriatrics who don’t even bring their glasses to see at games.[/QUOTE]
    gmujim92 likes this.
  6. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

there’s swim dad?
  7. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

he lurks on the internet but you will never catch him in person. It is like he doesn't exist. Swim Dad isn't Jim but Jim might be Swim Dad
  8. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

That’s the mother of all backhanded compliments LOL
    sleeperpick likes this.
  9. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

I’m actually Keyser Soze
    gmutom and sleeperpick like this.
  10. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

Woahhh.. Carolyn stays as long as Carolyn wants. You know Swim Mom would literally kill for that job.
  11. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Don’t give her any ideas.

Swim mom drinks the blood of walk on freshman to stay young. Then we watch their highlight tapes and ponder if they can develop into all A10.
  12. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Starter

Im willing to bet that starting next year the 1 time transfer rule will be official, we will see the transfer numbers go up even higher because kids won’t have to sit a year. This will also have a major effect on when schools get a new coach.

A lot of times the upperclassmen stick around because what’s the point of sitting a full year to play a year? With the new rule not having to sit I’d imagine we could see full rosters flip. Unless the team is full of players that previously transferred, something DP doesn’t do.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    tblack33 likes this.
  13. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

To point #3 - it is a pretty impossible thing to research.

"Working out for the long term" could just mean not extending the wrong coach. So does that mean you'd have to just look for coaches that finished out their final year of a contract with a bad record? I'm sure you'd argue that the coach should've just been fired the season before in that case. But thats the point, the school didn't feel like they could fire or extend that coach earlier (whether due to finances, mediocrity, or whatever). Does that mean you'd have to find an example where the next coach did better? At what point is that a failure of the next hire that isn't attributed to lame ducking the previous coach?

Western Michigan just did it to Steve Hawkins. Was it the right call? I have no idea. But it didn't hurt them that bad in recruiting - they got Josiah Freeman over us.

Georgia Southern did it to Mark Byington (now at JMU, I'm sure they wanted to extend so this is not exactly a Paulsen situation). GS still got Cam Bryant though, once linked to Mason (never offered though as far as I know).

FSU did it to Leonard Hamilton. Not apples to apples here, for sure. They won the ACC, and FSU would love to have him locked up long term as well. Point is, lame duck seasons can happen without destroying recruiting.

Still, all of that is totally irrelevant in these unprecedented times. The only reason I'm predicting a lame duck year is because I am assuming there won't be a season. Or if there is a season, it will be significantly affected by the pandemic and will not be useful in changing the evaluation on Paulsen.

Again, if there is a normal season and Paulsen does his average (16-16, 8-10) then move on.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    tblack33 likes this.
  14. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Normally, severance pay is paid out incrementally throughout the duration of the contract as if the coach is still employed. Oftentimes, there is an offset provision in the contract so if the terminated coach gets a similar job during this period, the severance pay is reduced accordingly.

In Hewitt's case at GT, he had a 6-year automatic "rollover" provision in his contract. This is why GT paid out his severance pay over so many years.
  15. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://gomason.com/news/2020/9/8/m...orrison-signs-with-turkeys-yalova-basket.aspx:

"FAIRFAX, Va. – Former George Mason University men's basketball forward Mike Morrison will compete with Yalova Basket in Turkey this coming season.

Entering his ninth professional campaign, Morrison most recently played with Mono Vampire in Thailand, where he averaged 14.5 points, 11.1 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.9 blocks and 1.5 steals in 2019-20."