Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Welcome Justin Kier

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by G M U, Oct 14, 2015.

1. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

If they think they are getting a true long range threat, they will be sorely disappointed. That being said, I want nothing but the best for Justin.
    tblack33 and DJ3 like this.
  2. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://www.dnronline.com/sports/fi...cle_47ed87c1-f5c6-5c4f-a0c6-151b7d300352.html:

“'From a talent standpoint, he’s the only Division I player I have coached,' Spotswood coach Chad Edwards said. 'His ability stood out at an early age, but what makes him special is just a genuine love of basketball. There’s no place he would rather be than in a gym. He’s just a kid who loves seeing how good he can be. That’s the reason he’s improved so much.'

Edwards said that following Kier’s breakout junior season his coaches began to hear from agents and scouts about his pro possibilities. The 2019-20 season was a setback in that regard with the injury, but now he has an opportunity to re-establish himself, which could mean a dream come true.

'He was really trending up with NBA and professional opportunities after his junior season,' Edwards said. 'I was blown away. When he injured his foot that really affected his stock. A chance to get healthy and to perform in front of all those folks again to improve his stock, I think that is priceless.'”
    DJ3 likes this.
  3. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

"Kier gives Georgia a perimeter shooting threat "???
  4. Walter

Walter Hall of Famer

I think I might show up with a Mason shirt on. And cheer for the Vols to kill the Bulldogs. Hate Georgia!
    Patriot8 likes this.
  5. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

6. ephoops

ephoops Sixth Man

My post from April 14th:

When I first saw Georgia on the list, I thought he would go there.

Good for him. I wish him all the best. From everything I have read and heard, he’s a great young man who has overcome a lot of personal adversity.
  7. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I have a feeling Kier is going to make you eat these words if there is a season next year.
  8. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

I hope so. But he's averaged .6 3PM/G over his career (69 total), and I can't forget about his sophomore season when he shot 17%.

His career percentage (34%) isn't bad, but he hasn't ever shot a high volume. Opposing A-10 teams weren't really respecting his 3 either. If he can take that small sample size from last season and expand on it, I'd be thrilled.
  9. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

By comparison, Corey Edwards career numbers are shockingly similar:
    0.6 3PM/G
    74 Total
    36% 3P%

I wouldn't call him a dangerous shooter, despite his career percentage. Similarly, the volume just wasn't there and he actually shot much more per minute played (3.6 per 40 minutes for Edward's compared to 2.4 per 40 for Kier).
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  10. p8triotfan4life

p8triotfan4life Starter

good fit for Kier. He will slot right into Anthony Edwards' vacated slot and will be a Day 1 starter.

If his goal was to play for a BCS team, he got his wish. I'm not so sure the kid will ever reach the big dance though.
  11. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Is Paul Hewitt coaching Georgia? How did they go 5-13 in the SEC with Anthony Edwards.
  12. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

Horrible choice for Kier when Michigan, and Nc State were options. I'm guessing Crean promised him a starting job. But we all know Crean is an idiot. Theres a reason Howard and Keatts wouldnt promise him a starting job. A damn good reason.
  13. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-American

Stop the over analyzing.

The kid got a bonus year of college hoops after spending 4 years in a "blah" program and almost losing his senior season to injury.

You dont always get that back.

If a big school says "come here...you can start"....you freaking go there. Going to a Michigan or NC State for name value to play 10 minutes a game is meaningless.

Players want to play.
    Pikapppatri8, DJ3, Jack Strop and 4 others like this.
  14. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

I'm happy for him getting another year.

I guess playing in the ncaa tourney wasnt a big deal.
  15. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels Hall of Famer

Ever been to UGA or Athens, GA? It's a fun little town.

Not sure I'd ever call getting to spend a free year as an athlete in a premier sport among all those Georgia Peaches a mistake, no matter who else had offered.
  16. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

If you need tickets I can probably help you with th
    Athens is very nice. This was not a mistake at all.
  17. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

Must be why Georgia is always in the Dance and atop their conf.
  18. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

2 NCAA tournaments and 3 NITS in the past 10 years while being second fiddle at a great school... wonder why he chose that over your guarantee at Mason. You not only guaranteed he returned but tripled down on it.
    Not acting like it’s a great basketball program but I think he’s better off at making a tourney there then here.
    Minnesota also just signed a scrub transfer from Rice today so they were obviously holding out for Kier
    DJ3 and PoorManProfit like this.
  19. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

So this decision was only supposed to be about basketball?
    sleeperpick likes this.
  20. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/justin-kier-commits-to-georgia:

"While Kier played the 2-guard spot at George Mason, his role in that offense wasn't a traditional one. From time to time, Kier often cut back and forth at the top of the key, which didn't always allow for him to get the cleanest look. He'll get an opportunity to play on the wing more often than not at Georgia, which should allow for higher percentage shots, and in turn, a higher three point percentage.

On the offensive side, Kier shows a lot of potential in his ability to move without the ball, finish at the rim in traffic, and shoot consistently in catch-and-shoot situations. At 6'4 200 pounds, Kier has the perfect frame for a 2-guard in Tom Crean's system. In his 2018-2019 campaign, the last full season of basketball he's played, Kier averaged 14.5 PPG on 47.1% shooting and 6.5 RPG.

As for defense, Kier also does a solid job of making ball handlers pay for loose handles. In his career, he's averaging just above 1 steal per outing.

Expect Kier to be in great position to have a starting spot from Day 1 given his shooting ability and experience. This allows the Bulldogs to develop K.D. Johnson without having to put too much pressure on him in his freshman year."
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020