Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Welcome Justin Kier

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by G M U, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Dawgs99

Dawgs99 Starter

UVA just received a commitment from a Rice transfer and has no more available scholarships.
  2. smccart5

smccart5 Starter

I appreciate the effort that went into this post
    mkaufman1, gmujim92 and sleeperpick like this.
  3. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

Makes sense. Both tools.
  4. IzzyWikis

IzzyWikis Four-star Recruit

I'm a Butler season ticket holder and completely agree with the Butler transfer option. I'd love to see Kier finish out his career at Hinkle if it's not going to be at Mason. He'd be an instant leader on a young Butler squad.
  5. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

When does Kier need to decide by?
  6. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Start of next season. Realistically next week and a half.
  7. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Kier had virtual meetings with Arkansas and Minnesota today — his first since putting his name in the portal.
  8. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Which raises an interesting point: how is anyone supposed to pick a new school/coach without being able to even visit the campus and meet players and staff?

Unless my current situation was just untenable, I’d have to think long and hard about transferring at this time because you might get to your new destination and realize you made a terrible mistake. By that point it’s too late to do anything about it.
    Bricker likes this.
  9. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Really interesting that those were his first meetings, I had assumed that schools showing interest and him narrowing down indicated that he’d actually met with those schools. What constitutes reaching out to a player if not a virtual meeting right now?
  10. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I assume that you are a Mason alum. I would love to see a game at Hinkle Fieldhouse -
    View: https://youtu.be/DlTBnGQlBvA
  11. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Don’t know for sure, but maybe the dating process goes something like this (thanks to coronavirus): phone call or email from coach expressing interest > player narrows down list of potential destinations > virtual meetings > commitment
    tblack33 likes this.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I would guess a coach could "show" a recruit the facilities during their virtual meetings. I know I can still access the buildings on campus if I needed to, I'm sure coaches can go into the locker rooms/weight rooms/practice facilities/etc. if they need to and "show" a recruit around.
  13. masonjoe

masonjoe Starter

seems to be working for all those who committed
  14. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

It’s too early to know one way or the other. That’s the point. Some of these guys are going to transfer and regret it.
  15. Mason2005

Mason2005 All-Conference

100%, coaches lie like shit. Good luck to all these kids transferring but I'm expecting like a 5% happiness rate at the end of the day.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  16. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jake
    @jakeweingarten

·
    3h

Arkansas and Minnesota completed virtual visits today with George Mason graduate transfer Justin Kier, he told
    @Stockrisers. First of them he’s had.

Called them ‘crazy and exciting’ - - Kier is one of the top-available grad transfers
  17. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

Lets end the suspense. Kier is staying a Patriot. Yall are welcome.
  18. IzzyWikis

IzzyWikis Four-star Recruit

Yep, ‘06 graduate. Former Mason season ticket holder but moved out of the area 5 years ago. Hinkle is a must do for any basketball fan.

BTW, the Butler boards are getting hyped on the possibility of Kier but sounds like he’s a hot commodity in the transfer world and will have his options. Hope he comes back to Mason but seems less likely each day...
    Old Man and gmujim92 like this.
  19. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

I just pray for his sake he stays away from Minnesota and Georgetown. Want the best for the kid
    gmujim92 likes this.
  20. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

I know I’m biased as hell, but I genuinely believe that given the circumstances the best place for him is Mason. Trying to get comfortable at a new school and build chemistry with a new coaching staff and teammates without having summer workouts seems like a daunting proposition.

Doesn’t mean Kier can’t find a good situation elsewhere. Obviously he can, but it’s a gamble versus a known quantity.
    GMUgemini and Petey Buckets like this.