Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Welcome Jordan Miller

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by p8triotfan4life, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Masonfan3

Masonfan3 Sixth Man

While you have a point and I am always scared of the sophomore slump..Miller’s ceiling is so much higher than Mar’s. He is already built like a college 3, handles it a lot better, is a 100% better athlete, and shoots it well. I like Mar but his ceiling is nowhere near Millers. I would be surprised if Miller isn’t at least 2nd team all league next season. He is too smart of a player, plays too hard, and possesses too much athleticism not to be.
  2. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

I don’t see any way that Greene or Kier wouldn’t be on the floor. I am highly interested in the Mar/Miller setup because it will directly affect the Greene/Kier equation. Assuming Hartwell is running the point, Mar and Miller are the 3/4, and either Calixte/AJ at the 5, are you starting Greene or Kier?
  3. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Starting probably Kier.

I don't see a problem with pushing Greene to coming off the bench if that's what it comes down to. He'll have plenty of floor time coming in for Hartwell, Kier, and Miller.

Or, alternatively, we have to wait two years to see Miller and Mar starting together.

Second alternative is to have Hartwell coming off the bench and have Kier, Greene, Miller, Mar, and Calixte all starting together. That's a much bigger lineup and probably our best rebounding/defensive team. The problem with this lineup is Kier's looseness with the ball and decision making (he did have 9 assists against GW, though). We wouldn't have a secondary ballhandler on the floor, like a Luke Hancock, to take the pressure off Kier (in the way that Luke did for Cam Long). Greene is OK, but I wouldn't trust him against a high pressure team like VCU.

All of this really depends on Miller and Mar and how good they actually are next year. Their size makes having them on the floor as much as possible really enticing, especially together because they are so interchangeable in so many ways, but if they can't outplay Greene or Hartwell for the last starting spot they can't.
    Patriot8 likes this.
  4. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

It’s early to assume anything. I think Dave will start the 5 best players regardless of position — if Hartwell is one of them, great, but he’s not gonna start just because some people think we have to have a traditional point guard on the floor.

I will say this: if Goanar has a healthy offseason and relocates his outside shot, there’s no way he’s coming off the bench. He’s too smart and too good defensively — the staff will have him on the floor 30 minutes a game.

Calixte, Mar, Miller, Greene and Kier is my prediction for the 2019-20 opener, with the caveat that a lot can (and probably will) change between now and next November.
    GMUgemini likes this.
  5. Leesburg Chankenstank III

Leesburg Chankenstank III All-American

Do you see Reuter starting next season? Not whether he should because I think even you agree he should not. But will Paulsen come to his senses?
  6. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Would be really nice if Mar found his outside shot next weekend, right? Having Hartwell and Mar coming off the bench both hitting their outside shots would really change the dynamics of this team.
    GSII and gmujim92 like this.
  7. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I think it highly depends on what Reuter does in the offseason. His problems (lack of vertical, footwork, stamina, etc.) can all be improved and we could certainly use his basketball IQ on the floor if physically he can compete. At the same time, he's an old school player in a new school world.

If Reuter can consistently look more like the player against Kansas State (and even Dayton) and less like the player against VCU, he probably starts over Calixte. That's a huge question, though.
  8. Leesburg Chankenstank III

Leesburg Chankenstank III All-American

I’ve always beilieved he has a place on this team. He can come in as a change of pace kind of guy and contribute. But he will never be what Paulsen thinks he can be.

Yesterday we saw how much more creative our guards can be when you have athletic big men to dish to.
    smccart5, gmujim92 and sleeperpick like this.
  9. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

I hope he finds it a couple days before next weekend...
    gmujim92, Washingtonian and GMUgemini like this.
  10. gmutom

gmutom Hall of Famer

I would add his lack of ball control and strength to this list as well. We might have wilted against VCU either way, but to me the turning point was back-to-back possessions when he fumbled the ball or had it stripped in the paint. We went from having a decent lead to them converting on both turnovers and grabbing momentum. We also see opposing players rip rebounds right out of his hands despite him having better positioning and size.

I want to see a stronger, lighter Reuter next year that isn't afraid of contact offensively and isn't shy about knocking opponents on their asses defensively. He gives up way too many uncontested layups for a guy his size when he should be sending them a message that he owns that paint. Stop saving your fouls for later when later won't matter if you keeping giving up easy buckets.
  11. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Barring significant improvement, no I don’t see Reuter starting. Calixte isn’t flashy but he’s strong and dependable, understands/accepts his role and plays to his strengths. We are noticeably better with him on the floor. The coaches undoubtedly will see this when they have time to go back through the video from this season.

Honestly, if AJ would really commit in the offseason to learning the defensive rotations, I’d prefer him as the backup 5 if he’s willing to accept such a role. I think he brings a jolt of energy and would provide a big boost as the first big off the bench.

Maybe Reuter has been playing hurt this season and will come back stronger, quicker and more confident, but I don’t see it.
  12. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Miller is always in the right place at the right time. Underrated skill. However, in my opinion, a special player creates his own shot and I have not seen Miller do that yet.

He is just a freshman, with plenty of time to develop.
  13. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

AJ has a high ceiling. AJ is so quick; teams inadvertently foul him. AJ has a nice form when taking FTs. I expect him to improve his FT % next season.

I think he would be better in a more traditional defense. I do not see the need to always double the post. All that said, its head scratching that he doesn’t rotate on defense still. He would get a lot more minutes if he did.
  14. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

That NOVA education!
  15. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

AJ over rotates to go for blocks. He tries for some ridiculous blocks and always seems to have the same result - they miss the shot and his man gets the rebound and scores.
  16. allhailme

allhailme Preferred Walk-On

Jordan quietly shooting 45% from three so far and making big plays when the team needs it. I was skeptical of the move to the wing but he has transitioned quite nicely.
  17. smccart5

smccart5 Starter

That turnaround jumper he hit last night with about 2 minutes to go was HUGE. It was a big time shot.

Of course the announcer didn't notice...
    GMUgemini, gmujim92 and GMU_DCU like this.
  18. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Whether he’s having a good game or not, Jordan is a great closer. He’s got a knack for making plays when it matters most.
    ephoops and GMUgemini like this.
  19. gmutom

gmutom Hall of Famer

20. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer