Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Welcome Jamal Hartwell

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by sleeperpick, Apr 6, 2018.

1. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

You should stop while you’re behind.
  2. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Schmidt also hovered around .500 until year 5 and then didn’t bounce back until 4 years after that. But hey he’s a great coach because he’s not Paulsen.

Anyway, back to appreciating Jamal Hartwell. They need him for the vcu game and the tournament to have any sort of chance.
    GMUSig03, mason89 and gmujim92 like this.
  3. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

I'm still waiting on JIM to change his position and agree Hartwell should be starting PG next year.
  4. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Inbetween the stupid commentary on stadium, They mentioned a few things about Hartwell.

After the loss against vcu he was putting up shots at 11pm.

The next day at practice he was first in the gym two hours before. And today before the game he was putting shots up 2 hours before.
    gmujim92, MASONscott, GSII and 4 others like this.
  5. Leesburg Chankenstank III

Leesburg Chankenstank III All-American

Final regular season 3 point %

22-46 (48%)

Last 4 games: 13-24 (54%)
    mason89, patriot2000 and mkaufman1 like this.
  6. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Starter

Next up... JDS? Think of the potential upside of that for three more seasons. :oface:
  7. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-Conference

I still worry about his lack of size. Encouraged but not ready to declare him all A10.
  8. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 All-Conference

Feeling a lot better about losing Otis with Hartwell’s late season development. He might be *slightly* less than Otis on offense when it’s all said and done, but the defense more than makes up for it. If he can keep up how he’s been shooting and JDS can be coached into better shot selection we could have the shooting back court we’ve been missing. The parts are there to be a better team next year, my only fear is the A10 will be much improved as well.
  9. GMUSig03

GMUSig03 All-Conference

vcu game ended at 9:30pm, hung around to give Otis his due (about 15 minutes or so after game ended) and Jamal was on the court shooting by the time we left. So if he was still out there at 11pm, he was out there for awhile. Can't coach that.
    gmujim92, mason89, JPgmuswim and 2 others like this.
  10. dr. gunnie

dr. gunnie Hall of Famer Staff Member

I know you can’t put the whole team on the all tournament team, but not having Hartwell on the Cayman tournament team just seems wrong. Kid played his ass off and carried us at times in these last two games. He doesn’t seem like the kind of player that even cares about those accolades, but his play deserves some recognition.

Great job Jamal!
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    ephoops, gmujim92, Five Two and 3 others like this.
  11. allhailme

allhailme Preferred Walk-On

Looks like Coach P is 2 for 2 on undersized and under recruited point guards.
    gmujim92 and dr. gunnie like this.
  12. Patriotsince81

I hope Jamal snaps out of his 3 game slump. We're going to need him. Over his last 3 games he is just 10 - 33 from the field, including 3 - 17 from 3. Only 1 assist and 6 turnovers.
  13. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

I hope/think the two week break will be good for Hartwell.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  14. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

He has logged a ton of minutes in the first 11 games. He definitely can use the rest and hopefully the staff will be able to pull back on his workload now that Kier is off minutes restriction.
  15. Patriotsince81

Time for DP and Jamal to realize he'll never be a serviceable A10 player. Jamal needs to transfer and cut his losses. TOO small. Shoots TOO much. Misses TOO much. Turns it over TOO Much. Gets burned defensively TOO much. I've never questioned his heart or desire but DP recruiting a kid like this is why we are in the state we're in. Nice kid, not questioning that. I realize my opinion may be unpopular but I'm tired of us sucking.
  16. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I mean, everyone was getting burned today...

Also, Greene is the most turnover prone on the team. He's averaging 6 per game in the last 5, 3.0 for the season. I mean, yeah, Hartwella had 5 TOs against VCU, but he had 1, 0, 0, 1, and 0 against GW, UMass, SBU, URI, and Davidson.

As for his shooting, I mean, since coming back from his injury, he's been shooting pretty decent. Shot 50% from 3 against VCU and St. Bonaventure, and 40% against UMass (scored 13, 10, and 10 in those games). He scored 7 and 7 against URI and Davidson as w ell.

I mean, for a guy who is coming off the bench, I'd take those stats all day.
    GSII, psyclone and gmutom like this.
  17. Patriotsince81

37.6% for the year on 210 shots. Not counting tonight. Only 30.4% from 3 for the year, not counting tonight.
  18. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

I think Jamal can be a good, effective role player. Kid can fill it up.
  19. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

He certainly had a shooting slump after the Cayman Classic. He played two games sick and shot poorly in those and then he missed a game. But coming into this game he was 10-26 from 3 (38.4%) in the last 5, and that's against some pretty good A-10 competition and defenses (SBU, URI, VCU).
  20. Patriotsince81

XJ is bigger and better as a freshman. Polite is bigger and should be better next year. If Jamal is happy being the 3rd point guard more power to him. We will not win with Jamal playing significant minutes.