Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Welcome Greg Calixte

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by dr. gunnie, Apr 12, 2017.

1. JimP

JimP All-Conference

I'm very pleased with Calixte. I saw him play in Mt. Vernon's NYS championship game and came away a little concerned. (yeah - I know - it was one lousy game) He has definitely proved me wrong so far. I love the confidence I see out of him.
    gmujim92, FreeGunston12 and gmutom like this.
  2. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

We will be a much better team if he can continue to give us 20 solid minutes like he did tonight.
    gmujim92 and gmutom like this.
  3. Joe Shannon

Joe Shannon All-Conference

I made a comment tonight to a friend along the lines of "for a lightly recruited freshman big, he is showing some pretty solid low post moves/composure" and he is looking better week to week
    gmujim92 and sleeperpick like this.
  4. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Starter

Comment so good I had to like and comment
  5. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Sixth Man

There were a couple plays last night where he set a pick for our guards near the 3-point line and then headed towards the basket where he was wide open. I’d like to see them get him the ball off of that for an easy layup or more realistically dunk.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  6. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Yes the guards need to be quicker with the pass in those situations. Usually by the time they look up, the defense has recovered. Gotta make them pay for overplaying the ball screen.
  7. Cedric Dempsey

Cedric Dempsey Sixth Man

Your redshirt big is a leader and a mentor for Greg. Check the two out during the game. Constant teaching. Practices must be fun to watch.
    MASONscott, AHM, Joe Shannon and 2 others like this.
  8. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Starter

Yes, I noticed that in-play last night as well. Although Calixte was completely open a handful of times, the ball just didn't come his way in time. The best part was that he didn't pout or sulk about it. I think he knows that he will get more passes soon to come his way when he gets that open. The chemistry there simply has to ferment. You have to know that the staff and players are seeing this (or will see this) on film. Look out for the Calixte Express, rolling in to a train station near you!
  9. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Dave said he asked Reuter to serve as a pseudo assistant coach on the floor in practice because the team is so young. Nice that he’s paying dividends already even though he can’t play in games.
  10. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Also encouraging that Calixte is coachable enough to accept advice from a fellow player. Not everyone would be willing to do that.
  11. Five Two

Five Two Starter

Random thought, probably better suited a day in May or June when we speculate about scheduling-
    with Calixte and Douglas-Stanley on the roster, do we end up with a home-and-home with Iona next year so they have a "homecoming" game? I say it happens.
  12. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

Fordham is 10 miles from Iona..
    Five Two and gmujim92 like this.
  13. Five Two

Five Two Starter

I totally forgot about Fordham.
  14. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

That’s not uncommon
  15. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 All-Conference

Assuming they follow the same pattern and only play Fordham once next year, they'd probably play Fordham in Fairfax only.
  16. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

If we're going to play an OOC game in NY for Greg and Jason, let's play St. John's at the Garden. That would be more than worth the trip.
    Washingtonian and mkaufman1 like this.
  17. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 Starter

12 rebounds and some critical blocks against a much bigger man. Well done Greg!
  18. Joe Shannon

Joe Shannon All-Conference

Just made my first trip to MSG last Wednesday and randomly ended up driving by Mt. Vernon HS on Thursday.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  19. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 All-Conference

I hate you came to my neck of the woods and didnt say hello. Whoops wrong thread. :crazytongue:
    Joe Shannon likes this.
  20. Herndon

Herndon Starter

I actually really like how Calixte's career is shaping up. He'll play his sophomore and junior year with a scoring oriented other big while he develops his game and can concentrate on defense and rebounding, and only really be asked to be THE GUY in the post his senior year.

I mean, he's being asked to be THE GUY in the post his freshman year, but nobody expects much from him, and anything he produces is a bonus, so there's not really any pressure this year.

I think he's in a position to have a successful career, if he develops.