Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Welcome AJ WIlson

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Patriot8, Aug 9, 2016.

1. G M U

G M U Sixth Man

I agree, in the long run, AJ red-shirting will pay off handsomely down the road. As for that year of epic results, should we assume that the '18-'19 season being that year (Otis' senior year)?
  2. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 All-Conference

Maybe. We'll see how everyone develops. A lot will still come down to the front court. We'll either need Troy to really kick it up or have someone from outside the program transfer in. Mar and Wilson should be able to protect the rim and jump out to the perimeter, but I'm not sold on the idea of them having to straight up guard another teams big man in man coverage. I don't think they're tall enough if some team just dumps it inside and lets the big man work on them Mo Allie-Cox style. Maybe I'm wrong. From what I've heard Wilson has the vertical to defend bigs but jumping in the paint is a recipe to always be in foul trouble.
  3. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Troy is going to be a VERY good player for us in time. We just have to be patient and give the staff a couple summers to polish up the rough edges of his game.

His older brother Shane is a junior at North Texas and has emerged as one of their top players over the second half of the season. He's a terrific athlete at 6-8 who can play inside and step out to hit the 3. He also had two years of JUCO ball before going D-I.

Shane's success offers us a blueprint of what Troy can become because from everything I've heard and read, Troy is a better pure athlete and has a higher ceiling.

Young bigs, even the elite ones, almost always need time to adjust to the speed and physicality of big-time college basketball.

But I'm willing to bet we are going to be very happy to have Troy during his last 2 years at Mason. He has all the tools to become a monster and coaches to help him get there. It's up to how hard he is willing to work.
    Mason2005 and GMUSig03 like this.
  4. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Both are around 6'6 with long wingspans, so I don't think we're going to have a problem with length, it's going to be mostly lower body strength we need to worry about next year with both of them.

Mo Allie-Cox isn't a particularly tall player, he's more in the mold of a Jalen Jenkins: solid.
  5. Bricker

Bricker Starter

Kiss of death
  6. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 All-Conference

I meant in the context of how he plays. I think Mar and Wilson will be fantastic help defense in the paint. But if someone lobs it in there and just lets their big go to work 1 v 1 on either of them I'm not sure they'll quite be up to it because like you said, they aren't the biggest of guys muscle wise.
  7. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 All-Conference

I'm not worried about Troy. He's just in his own head. Or not in it all, however you want to look at it. He'll develop. It's a shame he couldn't redshirt as well.

Relvao on the other hand makes me want to take bleach to my own eyes to get the images out of him trying to catch the ball.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  8. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

9. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

10. The Great PATSby

The Great PATSby Starter

Seeing Red Shirt players would be definitely fun to watch but no way the NCAA would allow that as it offers an unfair advantage.

I can't wait to see him lace up too and bring out some monstrous dunks and blocks. Since DeAndre has been benched, there really hasn't been any exciting dunks on a regular basis.
  11. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels Hall of Famer

Can you also touch rim?

What is your knowledge regarding the native American heritage of Miley Cyrus?
  12. Quentin Daniels

We had 2 Seniors and no Juniors.
    We were coming off a 11-21 (5-13) season.
    We finished 8th in the conference.

You were wrong and you are wrong.
  13. Quentin Daniels

Hellz No! F You!

I want to make snap decisions and declare players definitively busts or the next George Evans.

And no matter how stupid a comment it is, if you dare quote me I'm going to dig in my heels and say I stick by every word.

Cuz I'm a real fan!
    BandWagon18, mason89 and gmujim92 like this.
  14. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

Why are you trolling?
    Vurbel likes this.
  15. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Can you say troll...
    Vurbel likes this.
  16. gmu05

gmu05 Starter

Change it up by freeing Abram for alley-oop dunks all game long!
  17. Harry

Harry Starter

Relvao played surprisingly well in the A-10 Tournament, especially against VCU. When he caught the ball in the low post, he seemed to know what to do and even scored. He also provided some valuable relief minutes bodying up Alie-Cox. There may yet be hope for him and his large body.
  18. Herndon

Herndon Starter

19. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 All-Conference

Yeah he looked better. My problem is if our bar for the 5 is "he even scored" we may have issues going forward.
  20. Quentin Daniels

That's sarcasm, not trolling.

This is trolling:
    I hope Coach Jones doesn't go with Dormandy or Guarantano. I prefer Sherrion Jones instead.
    Also, we should have changed up the office to better suit Jalen Hurd.