Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Welcome AJ WIlson

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Patriot8, Aug 9, 2016.

1. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Assuming AJ comes back next season, where does he fall in terms of best defensive big men in Mason history? Top 3-4? Does anyone know where he falls in rebounding numbers all time?
  2. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-Conference

AJ has 396 career rebounds. Not even close to the top 10. Herb Estes and Rob Rose share 10th place with 734. Jim Nowers is the all time leader with 1048.
  3. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

I wonder if all the blocks take him out of position for rebounds. Not in any way a bad thing or a knock on him, maybe just an explanation for why his rebounds aren’t higher. From the eye test he’s def a solid rebounder.

Also Jesus Christ 1048? That’ll stand for a while.
    gmujim92 and Patriotsince81 like this.
  4. Patriotsince81

He also didn't play that much his freshman and sophomore years. His 7.4 boards per game this year was solid on all counts.
    gmujim92 and tblack33 like this.
  5. Patriotsince81

Nowers played from 72-76 and averaged 9.4 per game for his career.
    tblack33 likes this.
  6. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

AJs whole Twitter feed right now is anxiety inducing for anyone worried he may transfer.
  7. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

With one year of immediate eligibility remaining and the personal growth of his game, I’d expect a P5 to be interested in him filling a key role next season. He’d be nuts not to go and have a chance to play in a real postseason tournament.
    DJ3 likes this.
  8. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Agreed, AJ transferring will be the biggest loss we have had as a program in the Paulsen era, but I won’t blame him for going if he does. It will just really suck. Hoping that there is a lot of dialogue going on between our coaching staff and AJ and his family about what he can accomplish if he stays at mason for his last year of eligibility.
    jessej likes this.
  9. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

The poster you replied to isn’t a Mason fan and desperately wants AJ to leave so he can troll the rest of us.

Just saying...
  10. PoorManProfit

I have a degree from G Mas and a fan. Just not a knee pad wearin’ homer puss like you.
  11. PoorManProfit

If he has P5s in his ear, then I’m not sure what Frumpy Dave can say. Will be a huge loss if comes to fruition.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

His twitter feed could either be about basketball or about coronavirus, hard to tell.
  13. Patriotsince81

We were 5-13 with AJ. Anyone/everyone leaving this program really isn't that good. If they were we'd be better than 5-13. If AJ goes, I wish him the best. If he stays is he really going to make us A10 champs? I think not. We suck. It's time people realized that as long as DP is in charge we will remain.....irrelevant.
    DJ3 and PoorManProfit like this.
  14. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

I think losing our far and away best player on a crappy team makes us terrible next year. I hope he stays but power 5 assistants been following him on Twitter last couple months which doesn’t make me feel great
    PoorManProfit and DJ3 like this.
  15. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

P5 coaches have been in Polite’s ear for months too and he never wavered. Some kids are loyal. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.
    GMUgemini likes this.
  16. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

You must be a blast at parties. :angel:
    Jack Strop likes this.
  17. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

So it took AJ 4 years to iron out and really, he isn't all the way there yet. But a P5 thinks he can contribute then have at it. Short sighted to think he can do very well at another program. He should stay b/c its what got him to where he currently is. He has come a long way from being a project. Athletic, but a basketball project indeed.
    Jack Strop likes this.
  18. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Which power five offered Polite? Schools can still offer before LOI signed
  19. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Preach
  20. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

He wasn’t on anyone’s radar before blowing up as a senior, so his offer list was thin.

From what I’ve heard there have been several coaches trying to get him to back out of his LOI.