Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

USMNT exploits

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GMUgemini, Jun 11, 2015.

1. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I thought it worth mentioning two pretty incredible feats by the U.S. Men's National Team this past week. The first, was a 1-3 come from behind victory against The Netherlands in Amsterdam that ended 4-3.

Highlights here:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TmWLlxukY

The second, yet another come from behind victory today against Germany in Cologne coming back from an early 0-1 deficit to win 2-1. You can see the goals here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-goals-that-helped-the-u-s-men-shock-germany/

Third, the U-20 men's team beat Colombia 1-0 to reach the quarterfinals of the U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. Highlights here:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DuwkhhACtE

The future looks pretty bright.
    phoenix-arizona likes this.
  2. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

I wish they were playing in Copa America
  3. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I suppose we should mention the 2015 Gold Cup. U.S. wins their group and advances to the knock out round (not surprising given the other teams in their group). Klinsmann makes three changes on the 23-man roster: OUT: Altidore, Greg Garza, Alfredo Morales; IN: DeMarcus Beasley , Joe Corona, Jeff Gordon.

The U.S. went 2-0-1 in group play, but didn't look particularly impressive against Haiti or Panama, although Brad Guzan has made a strong case to replace Tim Howard as USA's number one goalkeeper.

On the line this year is an automatic berth in the 2017 Confederation's Cup, a tune-up tournament for the 2018 World Cup. The U.S. last competed in the Confed Cup in 2009 ahead of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa where they lost in the finals against Brazil 3-2 after beating Spain 2-0 in the semifinals.
  4. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

United States 6-0. They get Jamaica Haiti winner ?
  5. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Looks like it's Jamaica.

The U.S. really lucked out with a lot of the surprises in the other groups.
  6. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Indeed. It's been a good tournament so far. That TT-Mexico game last Wednesday was amazing. Today's slate of games is good. I can see Costa Rica knocking off El Tri. I'm going with Panama in the early game.
  7. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Final four almost set. Panama knocks off T&T in a muggy slog fest.

Way to pull it out at the very last moment Mexico !

Good looking final four Wednesday. We will probably get another Mexico-United States finale.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  8. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Looked like a pretty clear dive in the box to me. If you're going to decide it on a PK, might as well be a shootout at that point.
    phoenix-arizona likes this.
  9. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

10. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Mexico has no business being in this final. This is a gift, oddly enough, by American MLS referees. This final really should have been Panama-Jamaica (or even Costa Rica-Jamaica, who knows what would have happened in a shootout).

I will certainly be rooting for Jamaica (not least of which because they will be easier to beat in the playoff for who represents CONCACAF in the 2017 Confed Cup ).
  11. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

October 10 can't get here soon enough....
  12. GMU92

GMU92 Starter

Mexico scores in the 118th minute to win 3-2. Made me sick, darn near chucked something at the TV, but I like my Samsung HD too much.
  13. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit Starter

[QUOTE="GMU92, post: 45659, member: 977]darn near chucked something at the TV[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you would have regret that. I bet u don't even think about this game today.
  14. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

The defense has not been playing well of late, it doesn't bode well for World Cup qualifying.
  15. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Great article today in The Post about Christian Pulisic, the 17 year old son of two former George Mason soccer players, doing big things over in Germany for Borussia Dortmund (currently second in Bundisliga 1 -- Germany's top division). If he continues the way he's going, he's going to be everything Landon Donovan was and more for the USMNT.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...no-one-has-with-u-s-soccer-and-in-bundesliga/
  16. Herndon

Herndon Starter

Supposedly he's the golden boy of US soccer, along with Morris and Miazga.
  17. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Getting first team minutes with a top flight club at 17 is pretty impressive. He's fearless and he runs at defenders like no one we've ever had before.

Miazga has gotten minutes already with Chelsea.

Jordan Morris I'm a little more skeptical of, reminds me of Wondolowski a little bit.

There's also DeAndre Yedlin who is 22 and playing for Sunderland (on loan from Tottenham, another pretty big club in Europe).

And there's a whole host of American keepers who will be vying to be the next in the pipeline (Hamid (25), Yarbrough (27), Horvath (20)).
  18. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

19. Herndon

Herndon Starter

Yedlin has supposedly settled in nicely as a right back (although Klinsman keeps trying to play him on the wing), and lord knows we could use some solid defenders.

Also, call me a drunk driver, but all the germans rub me the wrong way. Like, the fact that you had an american GI dad who was stationed in germany long enough to knock up your mom doesn't make you American. Kiesewetter, Brooks, Johnson, I get that they're good players, but if you were born in Germany, play club ball in germany, came up through the german system, and live in germany in the offseason...you're german. I'd almost rather lose with ours than win with theirs.
  20. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I don't have a problem with it. It's a tradition that goes back pretty far (and we wouldn't have that one 1-0 win against Brazil without foreign-born Preki).

I do reserve the right, still, to call players like Guiseppi Rossi a traitor to his nation for choosing Italy over us :).