Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

The Politics Board Lives (in this thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenLantern, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels All-American

I didn't say you were. I was simply establishing a baseline of property rights and borders.

But yes, there is a difference between your home and a couple thousand in a country of millions. And if that is all it was, I would agree. However, a more full and accurate telling of the situation would be that even the Pew Research Center estimated nearly 4% of the entire population of the US was here illegally as of 2014.
    https://cdn.factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/Census-Bureau-Population-Estimates-2014.pdf

The caravan, which estimates vary, but nearly all agree is several thousands on its own would not be a big deal if evenly diffused across the 330 million as you've suggested. That's not going to happen though, some border town - far from you so you don't have to worry about it and can be sanctimonious about it - will take the brunt of it. Not only that but let's be honest and admit that if the caravan is allowed to be successful, it will open the floodgates across all of South and Central America for copycat caravans.

If given the choice, I suspect a majority of people living in South & Central America, as well as the Carribean, would choose to emigrate to America. That's around 640 million people, so if even just 5% crossed our borders illegally, we're talking about 32 million or about 10% of the current population including the 4% already here illegally.
  2. GreenLantern

GreenLantern All-American

Well, no blue wave unless you only count the House takeover. I did love seeing Kobach and Walker go down. The Senate races underperformed for Dems and key governors races tilted to the GOP. The House did elect it's first muslim woman, first native american women, and women will comprise up to 110 members, by far a record.
  3. Quentin Daniels

That would be Ilhan Omar, who married her own Brother to get him citizenship.

Here's one of Omar's tweets:

Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel
    https://twitter.com/ilhanmn/status/269488770066313216?lang=en

Keith Ellison also won the MN Attorney General race. Not the first time he's beaten somebody.
    Walter likes this.
  4. GreenLantern

I can see that her tweet could be interpreted as anti Semitic. I am no fan of Netanyahu but stoking anti-Israel sentiment is not the way.
  5. Quentin Daniels

I'm unsure how it could be interpreted any other way.
  6. GreenLantern

It could be interpreted as a dig at the Netanyahu government but it's too vague, maybe on purpose.
  7. Quentin Daniels

Yeah...I don't see it. Not a word about Netanyahu in it.

So I was glad to see Dana Rohrbacher lose last night. Also glad that McCaskill in MO and Robert O'Rourke in TX lost. As well as that racist in VA, although that was never in doubt. Glad Abrams lost who shouldn't be setting taxation policy if she can't pay her own taxes.

Disappointed in John James not winning (so much for diversity).

McSally was a nice win.

Kavanaugh vote likely cost the Dems. Indiana, Missouri, maybe Tennessee, and nearly Montana - although it saved them in West Virginia.

Most disgusting political event of the night - the Menendez corruption trial juror who was responsible for his 11-1 acquittal attending Menendez' victory party last night.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. GreenLantern

I don't disagree with anything you say here. I think Sinema or McSally would have represented AZ well. Rohrbacher can now move to Moscow since he loves it so much. It's apparent that Dems overreached on Kavanaugh. Some of those close senate races could have swung the other way had Dems not juiced up the GOP base.

Question for the group. Will Trump get a challenger for the primaries? If so, who do you want that to be. If there are any Dems, who would be best for them?

I think there will be some nominal Republican resistance which some lower tier candidates may emerge. For the Dems, it would be suicide to nominate Warren, Harris or Booker. It's way early but I am looking at Amy Klobuchar who may snare a VP slot if she performs well
  9. GreenLantern

Jeff Sessions ousted as Attorney General. No doubt he'll make the move to shut down the Mueller investigation.
  10. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-Conference

It is nice to see the Dems have two young guys getting voters excited.

Beto Gillum 2020.
  11. Quentin Daniels

If he does, it won't matter. A better hope is that he doesn't want to do it anymore but I don't see his ego allowing that.

I had always assumed he would lose reelection but getting less sure of that. The media and Hollywood (redundant?) will go after him hammer and tongs but I think they'll overplay their hand. Jim Acosta shoving away a young woman's arm yesterday and CNN claiming he did nothing wrong is a good example of this. As was SNL thinking anything was in-bounds as long as it was directed at a Republican, even mocking a Navy Seal who lost an eye fighting terrorism.
  12. GreenLantern

I would like to have at least one of those have much more experience than these two
  13. Quentin Daniels

Can't tell if this is trolling or not.
    Walter likes this.
  14. GreenLantern

Gillum has pulled within the .5 % margin to automatically get a recount. It's not quite over
  15. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-Conference

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  16. Quentin Daniels

So you want someone else under investigation by the FBI and a hit & runner who lost to the least likable guy in the Senate despite a $100 million war chest.

All righty then.
  17. JimP

JimP All-Conference

Good night for Dems and the country as they will provide the oversight that The Party of Trump refused to. Maybe strides in infrastructure are actually made.

Some ickiness on both sides. Trump suck up Chris Collins won his absurdly gerrymandered district in Western NY despite having been recently indicted on insider trading. Did that Duncan Hunter crook win too? I'm guessing he did. Hope not.

I've seen Beto O'Rourkes named bandied about in the media for 2020 GL. Might not be a bad idea, charismatic guy that was competitive in Texas of all places. I agree that Harris, Booker and Warren aren't the right type of candidates to take on Trump in 2020.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  18. GreenLantern

Beto may buck the trend but I still would prefer a boring policy wonk over a charismatic speechmaker. Obama was the latter and I wasn't all that impressed once you stripped away the outer layers
    phoenix-arizona likes this.
  19. Quentin Daniels

20. MasonJar

MasonJar Walk-On

In the long run I think you will find that women can be just as venal as men.