Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

The Politics Board Lives (in this thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenLantern, Mar 31, 2016.

1. GreenLantern

GreenLantern All-American

Little known fact that Jesus was a hedge fund manager who kept his miracles in an account on the Cayman Islands.
  2. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels All-American

I think the reason liberals hate Christ and Christianity so much is he promotes individual giving and personal responsibility rather than the liberal mantra of government seizure and political distribution of resources.
  3. Quentin Daniels

Oh crap! You mean they're going to start refusing to take our money??

Yikes - another excellent point.
  4. Quentin Daniels

FIFY
  5. jmckend1

jmckend1 Starter

FTFY
  6. jmckend1

jmckend1 Starter

Pretty sure the Conservative 1% is the most charitable group of people on the face of the earth
  7. JimP

JimP All-Conference

Is the UN supposed to run like The Mob now with Trump and Hailey in charge? We give the most money, so do whatever we want. UN has it's faults - just glad it's not The Mob w/ Trump as Godfather.
  8. Quentin Daniels

I love the Conservative 1%.
    I’m not sure how else you’d describe an organization that puts Libya and Cuba on the Human Rights Committee.
  9. JimP

JimP All-Conference

Well yeah - that's f*cked up - but so is expecting it to go along with idiotic decisions because you're the most powerful member of the group.
  10. JimP

JimP All-Conference

So true. Jesus would hate Social Security and Medicare. Didn't Pat Robertson say that's why we've had so many floods and hurricanes lately? That and gay people? Now there is a conservative Christian 1%er who really knows what he is talking about.
  11. Quentin Daniels

It's amazing how liberals who hate Christianity are always the experts and what Christ would want.

I guess it's like childless couples being the experts on how children should be raised.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Depends on how many of them just say they donate tons of money like Trump or if 90% of their contributions go to their church like Romney. But I kid.

There actually is no correlation between ideological inclination and giving levels (according to a 2013 study by MIT): https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1100129/who-gives.pdf
  13. jmckend1

jmckend1 Starter

Well, no. It says there isn't much difference after you adjust for faith-based giving, which accounts for a good amount of conservative giving. That's like saying that if you adjust the definition of "absolute zero" I own more beach houses than everyone on this message board
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/opinion/21kristof.html?referer=https://www.google.com/
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Walter likes this.
  14. Quentin Daniels

JM beat me to it. In the very first paragraph of Gemini's posted article.

Finally, we show that any remaining differences in giving are an artifact of Republicans’ greater propensity to give to religious causes, particularly their own church.

So my tithe to my Church somehow doesn't count despite it supporting an orphanage in the Dominican Republic, homeless outreach in my local community, and countless other works.

Here's from the philanthropy roundtable.
    http://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/almanac/who_gives_most_to_charity/

• This is different from the patterns in any other country. Per capita, Americans voluntarily donate about seven times as much as continental Europeans. Even our cousins the Canadians give to charity at substantially lower rates, and at half the total volume of an American household.
    • A strong pattern that makes some commentators uneasy is the fact that, as Brooks put it, “the electoral map and the charity map are remarkably similar.” Or to quote the Chronicle of Philanthropy’s 2012 summary of its giving research, “the eight states that ranked highest voted for John McCain in the last presidential contest…while the seven lowest-ranking states supported Barack Obama.”
    • Finer-grain numbers from the PSID show that the faithful don’t just give to religious causes; they are also much more likely to give to secular causes than the non-religious. Among Americans who report that they “never” attend religious services, just less than half give any money at all to secular causes. People who attend services 27-52 times per year, though, give money to secular charities in two thirds of all cases. (See page 1138.)
    • High-income households provide an outsized share of all philanthropic giving. Those in the top 1 percent of the income distribution (any family making $394,000 or more in 2015) provide about a third of all charitable dollars given in the U.S. When it comes to bequests, the rich are even more important: the wealthiest 1.4 percent of Americans are responsible for 86 percent of the charitable donations made at death, according to one study.
    Truthfully, you don't have to look further than this board to see the trend in personal giving vs. social seizing. How many times have we seen board liberals here claim they're more socially conscious for supporting Obamacare - essentially bragging of helping others by stealing from others rather than persona voluntary contribution? (and actually doubling the cost of insurance w/out actually increasing the quantity or quality of actual healthcare services)
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  15. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

16. jmckend1

jmckend1 Starter

Many would agree
  17. Quentin Daniels

No, tithing is a Biblical directive. But, again.

• Finer-grain numbers from the PSID show that the faithful don’t just give to religious causes; they are also much more likely to give to secular causes than the non-religious. Among Americans who report that they “never” attend religious services, just less than half give any money at all to secular causes. People who attend services 27-52 times per year, though, give money to secular charities in two thirds of all cases. (See page 1138.)
    I'm not sure why that matters though. (outside of being able to make the point that liberals are just as generous as conservatives - which they're not)
  18. Quentin Daniels

Is that really the DNC's #2 guy mugging for the camera w/a terrorist handbook?

Why yes, yes it is.

At @MoonPalaceBooks and I just found the book that strike fear in the heart of @realDonaldTrump
    [​IMG]
  19. Quentin Daniels

Another triumph of socialized medicine - 50K surgeries canceled in January.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/02/nhs-hospitals-ordered-cancel-routine-operations-january/

Hospitals are reporting growing chaos, with a spike in winter flu leaving frail patients facing 12-hour waits, and some units running out of corridor space.

Sir Bruce Keogh, NHS medical director, on Tuesday ordered NHS trusts to stop taking all but the most urgent cases, closing outpatients clinics for weeks as well as cancelling around 50,000 planned operations.

Trusts have also been told they can abandon efforts to house male and female patients in separate wards, in an effort to protect basic safety, as services become overwhelmed.
  20. Walter

Walter All-American