Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

The Politics Board Lives (in this thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenLantern, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

On the campaign trail Donut Don said he would end DACA "immediately." If by immediately he means 13 months after he's sworn in then yes, it is immediate. I wonder how his base likes being lied to. I'm sure their response will be "but Obama..." or "but Hillary..."
  2. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

"There are two kinds of Trump supporters today. There are the racists who hate Mexicans and all Hispanics and Blacks and women who think the playing field has somehow been tilted against White Men for half a century and who have sold this hateful bill of goods to those in this society who have failed and are looking for anybody to blame.

And then there are those other Trump supporters who do not have these vile hatreds in their blackened souls, but who are still willing to explain and embrace those who do. And they are worse than the racists. Because to them this is an opportunity for power. And on the existential subject of right and wrong they don't care. "

3. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

OK Trump apologists, help me out on this one. You rationalized his defending Nazis, demeaning disabled people, saying someone can't do their job because of their race, and grabbing married women's genitals.

Now justify why the messiah honeymooning with the likes of Chuck Shumer and Nancy Pelosi and ignoring Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan is a good thing.

We'll wait...
  4. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

"Hurricane Irma is just a scam to promote the climate change agenda."
    Rush Limbaugh, September 5, 2017

Let that sink in.

There have been 10 deaths in the Caribbean, but I'm sure that's just fake news.
  5. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels All-Conference

Life comes at you fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  6. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Please tell us you know the difference.
  7. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

8. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

9. Walter

Walter All-American

Russ Roberts - a former Mason professor - wrote a excellent article. I highly recommend it.

"Here are a few practical things I’d suggest for how to behave on Twitter, Facebook, and at social gatherings that are threatening to end in shouting matches or worse. I would summarize these suggestions as saying — when the world is increasingly uncivilized, take a step toward civility.

1. Don’t be part of the positive feedback problem. When someone yells at you on the internet or in an email or across the dinner table, turn the volume down rather than up. Don’t respond in kind to the troll. Stay calm. It’s not as much fun as yelling or humiliating your opponent with a clever insult, but it’s not worth it. It takes a toll on you and it’s bad for the state of debate. And you might actually change someone’s mind.
    2. Be humble. Shakespeare had it right: There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. You’re inevitably a cherry-picker, ignoring the facts and evidence that might challenge the certainty of your views. The world is a complex place. Truth is elusive. Don’t be so confident. You shouldn’t be.
    3. Imagine the possibility not just that you are wrong, but that the person you disagree with could be right. Try to imagine the best version of their views and not the straw man your side is constantly portraying. Imagine that it is possible that there is some virtue on the other side. We are all human beings, flawed, a mix of good and bad."
    https://medium.com/@russroberts/the-world-turned-upside-down-and-what-to-do-about-it-2dc27d1cf5f5
    Vurbel likes this.
  10. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. I couldn't have been more wrong about Hillary. I thought she would be a better nominee than Bernie. Boy, was I wrong on that one.

I also have no problem giving the other side kudos when deserved. Trump did well to reach across the aisle. Also, the GOP does a very good job at communication and riling up their base. They also are not afraid to think outside the box and nominate a candidate not like everybody else (cough, cough like the Dems rigged the voting to get Hillary).
  11. Walter

Walter All-American

Not about mere politics, but imagine you (or me) could be wrong about policy or ideology or philosophy. I am just as guilty as anyone to not give real consideration of another viewpoint. I am trying to do better.
  12. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

I've been wrong many times before (I'm ashamed to say who I voted for in 2004). And I will consider any viewpoint, except those viewpoints that condone Nazis, the KKK, or white supremacists. Conservatism has fair point, especially on fiscal issues like not spending it before you have it. Unfortunately the conservative movement is no longer Reagan, Nixon, Dole, and Kemp and has been hijacked by the Trumps, Bannons, Dukes, and Arapaios of the world.
  13. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels All-Conference

#NeverTrump conservatives today:

"Told you."
  14. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

It's not just #NeverTrump conservatives. It was just a matter of time until everyone came along. Progressives and liberals were first. Then establishment Democrats. Now #NeverTrump conservatives. Breitbart is already calling him "Amnesty Don." I guess his disciples and apologists are all that is left.

I'm still ready for Pelosi/Shumer to fade away and give way to the Warren/Harris/Booker's of the world.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  15. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

16. Walter

Walter All-American

17. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Antifa ran over and killed a protester?
  18. Walter

Walter All-American

Let's say two Mafia families meet up to intimidate the other. One guy from one side shoots someone from the other family. Someone comments that both sides are bad people. Most people shake their head in agreement. Unless it was Trump who said it.
  19. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

But this wasn't just two families. One of the sides was Nazis. As in white supremacist Nazis. That's on a whole other level.
  20. JimP

JimP Starter

Anybody marching with torch bearing white supremacists is in the wrong. I'd like to think if most conservatives saw a procession of torch bearing white dudes chanting Nazi slogans they'd applaud those who marched in opposition.

Anybody there to oppose the white supremacists in a non-violent way ought to be praised. Not lumped together with jerks who decided it was ok to march with dudes shouting anti-Semitic and Nazi chants. Sure, call out anybody in Charlottesville who was violent - no matter the side. For a president to say there were "good people" on both sides in Charlottesville is ludicrous and frankly, frightening. Trump likely realized that some of the clowns marching with torches voted for him and therefore needed to be characterized as "good." Sorry Trump, you had some truly bad people vote for you. In no way can you compare what went on there to two mafia organizations squaring off.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Vurbel likes this.