Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

The Politics Board Lives (in this thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenLantern, Mar 31, 2016.

1. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

No.
  2. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

3. GreenLantern

GreenLantern All-Conference

While I would not personally kneel at the anthem or disrespect the flag, I do not want to deny the right of anyone to express themselves as they see fit.
  4. Walter

Walter All-American

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the government prohibit any player from kneeling. However, many consumers of professional football would like the guys that are being paid to entertain them for a few hours to not disrespect the flag or national anthem before the show starts.

The NFL had better be careful here. I can see not only lost fans but taxpayers refusing to be blackmailed into buying a new stadium in the future.

Sometimes a protest has a cost. Let's see if they - owners and players - care enough about this issue when it starts affecting their bank accounts.

And Trump needs to stop sticking his nose in everything. That is what statists do.
  5. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

You have two faulty assumptions.

First, fans come to watch players during the National Anthem.

Second, legally peacefully protesting is disrespectful.

I agree that Dotard needs to focus on things other than football, but in his defense maybe he's just not smart enough to handle health care, North Korea, tax reform, natural disasters, or infrastructure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  6. JimP

JimP All-Conference

Yep - talk about government interference. I was waiting for one of the right leaning posters to bring that up. I'm still waiting for PiKapp to criticize the Orange God-King.

Once again, Trump has used his platform to successfully rile up his base while simultaneously further dividing the country. It's infuriating that with everything going on in the country and world - this is the issue that Trump puts front and center.
  7. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

[​IMG]
  8. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels All-American

Spent the start of the week in Seattle at Amazon, Expedia, Zillow, Microsoft and some other clients.

You know what the people I met with thought about the NFL players kneeling?

I have no f'n idea.

Because I was working.

And not spending my time at work sharing my personal political views on social issues to pi$$ off a majority of my company's client base.
  9. JimP

JimP All-Conference

Yeah - for the most part there is little political talk at my work. Probably better that way.
  10. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

While it would be easy to spike the football as do an "I told you so" dance, Democrats should not smile at the GOP's health care failures. The Democrats need to propose ideas to improve Obamacare, and single-payer, realistically won't get any traction. A bipartisan fix is the only thing that will work in the long-term, otherwise it will end up being a "food fight" every time a different party gets in power, like Rand Paul said.

The extremes on both end of the spectrum (free healthcare on one side, letting sick people die on the other) won't be happy, but they'll just have to deal with it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/26/politics/health-care-republican-senate-vote/index.html
  11. Walter

Walter All-American

As I have said before, I will accept universal catastrophic coverage if government gets out of the rest, including tax incentives for employer health insurance. Those areas like cosmetic surgery and dentistry where the government and insurance companies are not heavily involved have seen the price of the procedures decrease and, consequently, access to these services go up.
  12. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

OK, let me throw this scenario at you, because it isn't a hypothetical. What about the people born with a pre-existing condition to no fault of their own? Those who need life saving drugs on a regular basis. I'm talking about seniors with dementia or kids born with leukemia or asthma.

How can we guarantee they are covered and aren't charged more than anybody else? We can't be such an un-Christian society that says "sucks to be you, but oh well, I'm fine, what do I care?"

It is catastrophic if some people don't have live saving medicines. It's not like they go in the doctor, get fixed, and that's it. They need continuing care.

If the GOP can address that (they've only had 7 years) then I say repeal away. But until then, for better or worse, Obamacare is here.
  13. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

14. Walter

Walter All-American

Sure
  15. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

So if we have that as a starting point we can work from there. Whether or not you sell across state lines, whether or not insurance is tied to your employer, whether or not you have a PPO or POS or LMNOP, I have no opinion. So long as you get from Point A to Point B. If you get there on a bike or in a go-cart or by a moped, I don't care, so long as you get there.

It's like a GMU-VCU game. I don't care if we beat VCU by playing great defense, or by hitting lights out 3s, or by rebounding really well.
  16. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Sports is political. It can be hard to separate the two sometimes.

I think pikapps's wife is from PR? I hope her family is okay.
  17. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Remember when she protested at work and conservatives said she was a hero and stood by her beliefs?

[​IMG]

But she's white, so it's ok.
  18. Walter

Walter All-American

That is actually a good point. For the record, I would have fired her.
  19. GreenLantern

GreenLantern All-Conference

It was her job to do what she refused to do. She could not discriminate but did.
  20. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I understand you correctly you are for rules/expectations to be the same across the board. Not different for one person vs. another. You want a person in Kentucky to be held to the same standards as a person in California, and vice versa. Am I correct?