Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

The Politics Board Lives (in this thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenLantern, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels All-American

And you're opposed?

What part of men being allowed due process and not being pre-assumed guilty of charges do you oppose?

Would you support this in the federal courts too? That upon being accused of a crime, the burden of proof is on you to prove your innocence or else face imprisonment.

Do you think Matt Boermeester got a fair deal? How about the Duke Lacrosse team? Or the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity at UVA?
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

I can see the argument from both sides. I tend to take into strong consideration what sources like the Slate and the Atlantic have to say, and they bring up good points on Devos' favor. It is a shame that the issue has become a political football.

https://www.theatlantic.com/educati...-sexual-assault-became-so-politicized/540846/

''Ultimately, though, they are only temporary—the Education Department will adopt binding regulations after it consults with the public—and they allow universities to maintain many of their existing policies. For instance, the department allows campuses to continue using the controversial adjudication standards put in place by the Obama administration. It also asserts that any agreements Obama-era Education Department reached with universities it had found in violation of Title IX would remain in place.''

''Since Obama implemented these new policies, college sexual assault has become a hyper-partisan issue, with Democrats indiscriminately defending the rights of victims—often ignoring the reliability of evidence—and Republicans indiscriminately defending the rights of the accused—at times questioning the existence of the epidemic of sexual violence on college campuses.''
  3. Quentin Daniels

So their 1st Amendment right to religious freedom is subject to my demands for decorating a cake.

Yeah, that sounds like how George Mason wrote it up.

What about a Kosher bakery. If I go in and ask for a Swastika on a cake. Same thing?
    Walter likes this.
  4. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

I think it would depend on who's asking for the Swastika cake. A kosher bakery might be willing to bake a swastika cake for a Hindu.
  5. Quentin Daniels

So some religious groups get preferential treatment? Well, that's an interesting take.

What about atheists?

So if asked to make the cake, is it incumbent on the small business owner to inquire their religious beliefs? Can they refuse to make it if the customer refuses to identify their faith?

I can't see any potential legal entanglements in this line of thought at all.
  6. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

I think the small business owner, an owner of a business, should pretty much serve everyone, and not discriminate on basis of gender, race, religion (or lack there of), sexuality, disabilities. The customer's religion, sexuality, race, ect shouldn't come into play. The government should protect the citizen from being discriminated against.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  7. Quentin Daniels

Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the ability to force a business owner to violate his or her religious principles and conscience to suit my whims.

America!
  8. Quentin Daniels

Didn't really answer any of the uncomfortable questions though, did you?
  9. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Which ones might be those?
  10. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Remember when Trump called white supremicists SOBs? Me, neither.

But calling football players who peacefully protest SOBs is ok. I mean, they're largely Black.
  11. Quentin Daniels

The specific ones I asked.

You went for meaningless generalities. I'm guessing you've never had to write policy have you?
  12. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

L: Very fine people
    R: Sons of B-----s

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

14. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

15. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

16. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Groups for Graham/Cassidy:
  17. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Tim Tebow said:

"My faith is the basis from where my game comes from. I’ve been very blessed to have the talent to play the game that I do and be successful at it. I think God guides me through every day and helps me take the right steps and has helped me to get to where I’m at. When I step on the field, I always say a prayer, say I am thankful to be able to wake up that morning and go out there and try to glorify the Lord with what I do on the field. I think if you go out and try to do that, no matter what you do on the field, you can be happy about what you did.”

My bad, sorry, that was said by Colin Kaepernick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

19. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

20. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Let me see if I get this straight, it's disrespectful to kneel during the National Anthem. OK, but it's ok to boo during the National Anthem?