Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

The Politics Board Lives (in this thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenLantern, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Imagine if the Dems tried to push through legislation with no GOP support that changed 1/6th of the economy without knowing how much it would cost and getting feedback from constituents.
  2. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

3. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

4. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels All-American

OK to punch this NAZI?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Walter

Walter All-American

6. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-Conference

Remember when the argument was: "How does it affect you? What do you care?"

That was a true argument for most of us. It really doesn't affect me in the least, save for like more state employees getting state benefits I pay for. I was never really against gay marriage.

But, shocker, as usual it was never about tolerance. It's about making everyone march lockstep with them and the federal government trying to regulate what people think.

Same as Colin Kaepernick. Liberals' view of "oppression" has become so warped that it now means a gay couple having to choose from one of a thousand other bakeries nearby that will make them a wedding cake. Oh, the humanity.
    Quentin Daniels and Walter like this.
  7. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

8. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

It was a thought experiment, an exericse. I have taken a few of these myself. I am not sure I see the outrage.
  9. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

But what's the line between one business deciding and whole communities deciding they don't want to serve a certain clientele? In a big city it probably doesn't matter if a bakery or diner doesn't want to serve gays or Muslims or black people. They just march their business elsewhere. What happens if a bunch of businesses in small town Oregon band together to shut their doors and services to Jewish looking people, closing the door the services they might have to go multiple miles to get to?

Is it only an issue when it gets ''too big''?

10. Walter

Walter All-American

A group of businesses getting together to not sell to people. You may not understand how capitalism works. And before you say, "lunch counters," remember that local and state pols had to pass laws to prevent some diners from breaking the boycott.

And there is always Amazon or other internet retailers
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  11. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-Conference

Very valid point/question. Like, if it's like a small town or something and logistically it's hard, I could be made to change my mind. Legally I always go case to case.

But I was under the impression that at least the first lawsuit was two Massachusetts guys just suing a Denver bakery just to prove a point. Same with the Oregon one. Just ridiculous in that case. I know there's some group that just goes around testing people in this matter.
  12. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Groups of people can act irrationally. They can be blinded by their prejudices, even at a cost of business. And not everyone can afford access to reliable internet.

Again, in bigger cities this really isn't an issue. If a shop in Portland or Phoenix doesn't want to serve gays or Muslims, I can boycott their business. In smaller towns, this might create a harmful burden on the individual(s) affected.

13. Quentin Daniels

Can you provide an example where that has happened in the last 20, 30 years?

Can you provide any example of this?
  14. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

I haven't really looked. I was mostly dealing with hypotheticals, possible situations.

You did make me remember that situation of the No Muslim Zone gun club in Arkansas.
  15. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

But why would it be a common occurance in the last 20, 30, years, if there are laws against discrimination in the books (not applying to gays)?
  16. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Even if they were just trying to make a point, if there wasn't a point there to be made to begin with, everything would be ok.
  17. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Wow, you're sheltered.
  18. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

19. Quentin Daniels

OK, hypothetical situation then.

I walk into a Halaal bakery and request a cake decorated with John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Do they have the right to refuse to decorate it that way for me?
  20. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

I lean towards no--they don't. You shouldn't be able to refuse service because of their religious beliefs, or their sexuality, or their race, their gender, their disabilities.