Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

The Politics Board Lives (in this thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenLantern, Mar 31, 2016.

1. GreenLantern

GreenLantern All-Conference

The George Mason School of Law will be renamed in honor of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who died earlier this year.

The university announced Thursday that it has received $30 million in combined gifts to the George Mason Foundation to support the law school, the largest gift in the university’s history. The donations make possible three new scholarship programs. Twenty million dollars came from an anonymous donor, and $10 million came from the Charles Koch Foundation, which has given millions of dollars to colleges in the U.S. The family is well known for its support of conservative political groups, sometimes stirring controversy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hp_local-news_gmason-law-431pm:homepage/story
    mason89, Walter and gmujim92 like this.
  2. GreenLantern

I consider this a great honor for the University regardless of political leanings
    MasonFanatic likes this.
  3. JBiggs

JBiggs Starter

ASSoL. Fitting name.
  4. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Starter

it'd be nice to get 30 million donated for athletics one of these days....
    gmujim92 likes this.
  5. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

great legal mind even recognized as s such by his legal colleagues. his closest friend on the court was Ginsburg.

our law school is named after supreme court justice and we got $30 million - all good
    gmujim92 likes this.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Conference

I think we should have hit up Charles Koch for at least $10M to rename the team the Kryptonite Shockers or the George Mason Fighting Koch Bros.:money:
    MasonSAE4 likes this.
  7. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

George Mason Judges
    George Mason Supremes
    Pikapppatri8 likes this.
  8. Pikapppatri8

All kidding aside - this is a big thing for the School of Law - and the University as a whole.
  9. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 Starter

I'm disappointed we named it after someone who never in a million years would have hired one of the grads of our law school. He openly admitted that he wasn't going to hire anyone who wasn't ivy while speaking to American's school of law (which is ranked just about the same as Mason). But $30 million is $30 million and for that kind of money you can name it the Supreme Overlord Trump School of Yugeness for all I care. Now if only we could fund that football program....
  10. Walter

Walter All-Conference

I hate that all the illiberals are shitting on the GMU and GMUSOL FB pages. What a bunch of brainwashed little twits. This is the difference between the thought police left and the rest of us. They must smear this man. He can't simply have views that are different from theirs. No one who isn't a left statist can be honored anymore. No one would argue that Scalia wasn't the most influential jurist of the last 30 years.

I didn't always agree with him. I would have preferred he be more libertarian in his opinions. But he was better than most. IMO, Thomas is actually more faithful to the Constitution.
  11. Pikapppatri8

Walter what did you expect ? Progressives and liberals react to feelings conditioned by the federally run public education system that is dominated by left wing ideologues. They "feel" and lack any ability towards critical thinking.

And before some of the posters on the board attack my comment - most of this was pulled from a Bill Maher rant in response to the stories of Emory college students feeling unsafe because someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk on a sidewalk in campus.
  12. G M U

G M U Sixth Man

Clarence Thomas on the other hand: "Thomas has said he has a preference for non-Ivy League clerks, although he has hired them.[86] He is the only one among his colleagues who sometimes chooses clerks from law schools that are not top-rated—schools like Creighton, Rutgers, George Mason, and the University of Utah.[87]"

Overall, this is an embarrassment for the university and hurts our image locally. Why align our program with such a divisive figure? Mason should stay neutral but unfortunately we look weak when we have the Koch brothers in our back pocket. Money is money but I feel like we're some sort of political pawn here.
    Vurbel and BandWagon18 like this.
  13. Pikapppatri8

Embarrassment? Scalia - whether you agreed with him philisophically or not was a highly regarded legal mind and scholar and a Supreme Court Judge. Not embarrassed at all. It is interesting that some of his best friends on the court were the liberal ones. Ginsburg being the closest. Jurists from both sides of the aisle have praised him. Embarrassment?? You are not speaking from a position of knowledge here.

And about the Koch brothers - no different than Soros who funds liberally slanted efforts at other universities - and he is a racist anti-American who sees liberal efforts as a means to weaken nations. B ut because he is "liberal" he is good. The Koch brothers are highly successful libertarians (pro-gay marriage aanyone?) who are known to be very nice people and far more charitable in their money and time to charities than you typical left wing monied crowd.

With regards to being neutral - no school of law is. Mason is one of the few right leaning, constitutional originalist, libertarian law schools there - it is a way of standing out from the left wing law schools. Our top 40 ranking seems to justify that strategy.
    Walter likes this.
  14. GMU92

GMU92 Starter

Wouldn't attack that comment at all. I have several neighbors in my condo building who are teachers or in the school system; the stories are nothing short of a nightmare. I'm stunned how much it has all changed since I graduated from the public school system in 1988. Parents these days really need to dedicate a lot of time and energy to keeping track of what's going on. (I've heard the stories from family too). These days I might just consider biting the bullet and finding a way to pay for private school.
  15. GreenLantern

While I certainly don't agree with Scalia's approach to the Constitution, he had a deep understanding and respect for the law and for his vision of what the Constitution should be.
  16. Five Two

Five Two Starter

I think people are missing the point. A donor with $20M in his pocket asked if we would name the Law School after somebody and the school said yes. I'll re-name my kids if somebody wanted to give me $20M........

A college president (and Athletic Director) are fundraisers first and foremost in the 21st century, IMO.

Its all about the $$$$$$
    gmutom, gmujim92, mason89 and 2 others like this.
  17. G M U

G M U Sixth Man

Clearly this is a great thing if you are a conservative or even just lean right but the move will alienate those that lean towards the left. It's one thing to be known as a right leaning school, and its another to call yourself the Antonin Scalia School of Law. It may be more difficult to lure some great liberal minds whether students or professors due to the the blatant affiliation with the republican party. Conversely, I wouldn't support the Sonia Sotomayor School of Law either due to the of risk of alienating a particular political population. Either way this is great news if you lean one way and terrible news if you lean the other.
    GMU84fanman, Wefo27 and BandWagon18 like this.
  18. Pikapppatri8

Not only that if you listen to the people who are from the different side of the political spectrum all liked him. He was pleasant to work with - he could disagree with you and be a close friend. He would go to a dinner party with big whigs and spend most of the time talking to the cooks and chef on how they prepared the food and what the liked etc. He is not this monster some on the left want to portray.

I may sound biased but his son was our parish priest at St. Timothy's for a while - great man. The way he and others talked about his father lends to all of this.
  19. Pikapppatri8

I think you are focused too much on the political leanings. Mason is known as a slightly right of center/libertarian law school before this. Scalia - while conservative in your eyes - did adhere to a legal line of reasoning held by many if not most legal minds. Originalism and constitutionalism is not necessarily liberal or conservative but a perspective on how to apply constitutional law to decisions. If you read Scalia's decisions some were championed by liberals because he stuck to limited role of government and its power. When his colleagues - liberal or conservative - said he was a great legal mind.

Having the name of a great legal mind who was a SC justice as part of your law school is not going to alienate anyone - but it will elevate the stature of the law school.
    MasonFanatic and Walter like this.
  20. Walter

Walter All-Conference

Lefties have plenty of law schools to choose from. GMULaw has a unique product. It attracts students from all over the country because of it. Those few lefties who are offended by Scalia have options.