Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Privacy Concerns

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Walter, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Walter

Walter All-American

I thought this needed its own thread. Makes me want to overpay for an iPhone, but Apple probably does this as well.

Many people realize that smartphones track their locations. But what if you actively turn off location services, haven’t used any apps, and haven’t even inserted a carrier SIM card?

Even if you take all of those precautions, phones running Android software gather data about your location and send it back to Google when they’re connected to the internet, a Quartz investigation has revealed.

Since the beginning of 2017, Android phones have been collecting the addresses of nearby cellular towers—even when location services are disabled—and sending that data back to Google. The result is that Google, the unit of Alphabet behind Android, has access to data about individuals’ locations and their movements that go far beyond a reasonable consumer expectation of privacy.

https://qz.com/1131515/google-colle...ons-even-when-location-services-are-disabled/
  2. Walter

Walter All-American

3. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

I have a colleague who is network security and told me never to get an Android phone - Apple allows you to turn off location services completely and baseline encrypts iMessages and email.

So I stay faaaat away from anything Google.
    Walter likes this.
  4. Walter

Walter All-American

I use DuckDuckGo as my primary search engine, Signal for texting, and ProtonMail for email. Now if Purism can get it's Linux based phone to the market, I'll be completely free of Google.
  5. Pikapppatri8

I am on an iPhone and am free of google. Apple Mail is encrypted and Apple does not have keys. Its encrypted end-to-end. Second -- I put default search to Duck Duck Go.

Don't go with a Linux phone --- that will be a hot swamp of ass. Open Source is great but it has security holes as well. Look at Android - the core is Open Source and it has a cheese grater for security.
  6. Walter

Walter All-American

I doubt if I will ever see the Purism phone. But I will buy it if it makes it to the market. I am a Linux fan.

But more than likely I will be switching to Apple within six months.
  7. Walter

Walter All-American

I closed my FB account. MeWe looks like a viable alternative. Eight of my family members have switched to MeWe. Good way to keep in touch without giving away your information.

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/prnewswire/press_releases/New_York/2018/05/28/NY07721

"Engineered with privacy-by-design, MeWe has no ads, no facial recognition, no spyware, and a definitive user Privacy Bill of Rights. MeWe members enjoy total control over what they share along with full ownership of their content and data. The next-gen social networking platform has no newsfeed or content manipulation, common on other social media platforms. MeWe members see every post, chat, comment, etc., made by individuals and groups they are connected to, in true timeline order with no interference."
  8. Walter

Walter All-American

"Many were hoping that once Barack Obama was out of office we would see less of this Big Brother surveillance nonsense, but instead it seems to be getting even worse. In fact, the Department of Homeland Security has just announced that it intends to compile a comprehensive list of hundreds of thousands of “journalists, editors, correspondents, social media influencers, bloggers etc.”, and collect any “information that could be relevant” about them. So if you have a website, an important blog or you are just very active on social media, the Department of Homeland Security is going to put you on a list and will start collecting information about you. "

http://endoftheamericandream.com/ar...gers-journalists-and-social-media-influencers
  9. Walter

Walter All-American

As Facebook sought to become the world’s dominant social media service, it struck agreements allowing phone and other device makers access to vast amounts of its users’ personal information.

Facebook has reached data-sharing partnerships with at least 60 device makers — including Apple, Amazon, BlackBerry, Microsoft and Samsung — over the last decade, starting before Facebook apps were widely available on smartphones, company officials said. The deals allowed Facebook to expand its reach and let device makers offer customers popular features of the social network, such as messaging, “like” buttons and address books.

But the partnerships, whose scope has not previously been reported, raise concerns about the company’s privacy protections and compliance with a 2011 consent decree with the Federal Trade Commission. Facebook allowed the device companies access to the data of users’ friends without their explicit consent, even after declaring that it would no longer share such information with outsiders. Some device makers could retrieve personal information even from users’ friends who believed they had barred any sharing, The New York Times found.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
  10. Pikapppatri8

I just post pictures and articles from Snowflake and Couch Coach on my FB. But really haven't accessed it in years. The only real social media I use is LinkedIn. Nothing else.

Hence I go back to my preference for iPhone and iOS. It puts hard controls on sharing information and even Safari browser has now integrated components from TOR to protect privacy.
  11. Walter

Walter All-American

And Firefox now has a FB quarantine app.
  12. Walter

Walter All-American

Google wants to know where you go so badly that it records your movements even when you explicitly tell it not to.

An Associated Press investigation found that many Google services on Android devices and iPhones store your location data even if you’ve used privacy settings that say they will prevent it from doing so.

Computer-science researchers at Princeton confirmed these findings at the AP’s request.

https://apnews.com/828aefab64d4411b...-Google-tracks-your-movements,-like-it-or-not
  13. GreenLantern

GreenLantern All-American

You have to disable a web and app analytics setting for your phone to be truly private. Google never gives instructions about that.
    Pikapppatri8 and Walter like this.
  14. Pikapppatri8

Useful information thanks GL.

Or just shut down your google accounts.