Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Poll: Should DP Be Fired?

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Leesburg Chankenstank III, Feb 5, 2020.

?

Should DP Be Fired?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2020.
  1. Yes, This Year

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Not This Year. Give Him One more Year

26 vote(s)
    57.8%
  3. No, He's The Victim Of Sheer Bad Luck.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. No, He's What Mason Needs and We Will Eventually Win.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. f*ck Off Chank

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Who cares? We're all going to be dead from Coronavirus in a month.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Comparing men’s volleyball to basketball is ridiculous. The blue bloods in basketball spend almost 10 times more than we do in a year and that doesn’t include the money they give recruits under the table. That kind of disparity doesn’t exist in non-revenue sports.
  2. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

3. patriot2000

patriot2000 Starter

To be clear, you are agreeing with the point that our volleyball team is nothing special, and should not be "propped up as some underappreciated gem" due to the fact that they "have little competition?" I don't have a strong stance about something I know little about; just making sure I understand yours.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  4. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Absolutely
    patriot2000 likes this.
  5. patriot2000

patriot2000 Starter

Got it. So, I get your point, and it obviously makes sense. I was actually replying to a post that had already compared to basketball success with volleyball success and agree with your point that the comparison is silly. But I still would say that I look at a sports team through the lens of how it fares against It's chosen competition. Does our basketball team consistently compete with and even beat the top of the A10? Does the volleyball team consistently compete with and beat the top of their league? Forgive my ignorance, but are we consistently ranked in the top 20 every year? Even if that's not that great when considering there are only 50 teams, it's still a hell of a lot better than finding ourselves in that bottom 30 over and over again.

You're right, It's apples and oranges. I would just say that if one person cannot compare basketball and volleyball in order to defend our volleyball team, another person cannot compare them in order to disparage it.
    gmujim92 and FreeGunston12 like this.