Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Poll: Should DP Be Fired?

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Leesburg Chankenstank III, Feb 5, 2020.

?

Should DP Be Fired?

Poll closed Feb 9, 2020.
  1. Yes, This Year

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Not This Year. Give Him One more Year

26 vote(s)
    57.8%
  3. No, He's The Victim Of Sheer Bad Luck.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. No, He's What Mason Needs and We Will Eventually Win.

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. f*ck Off Chank

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. Who cares? We're all going to be dead from Coronavirus in a month.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

This is exactly my fear
  2. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

If we finish fourth, we will probably be a bubble team next year. If we finish 6th, we fire. If we finish 5th it depends on the overall win total and if we make the semis or not.

For me, meaningful postseason is the benchmark, though. This team has to finish top 75 at the very least (being snubbed by the NIT is likely).
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  3. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 All-Conference

I voted for one more year, but that's without knowing the finances. If we have the money to can him and still aggressively pursue a coach we want then do it this year. But knowing Mason, we'll just get another budget coach if we have to pay DP for two years instead of one.
  4. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I didn't vote, but to be clear, Paulsen is entitled to 1/2 of his base salary (which I believe is currently $417,000) for the remaining year(s) on his contract if he's fired - https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...bbdad0-2d66-11e5-960f-22c4ba982ed4_story.html:

"If he is fired before the contract expires, Paulsen would receive half of his base salary for each of the remaining years of the deal."
    DJ3 likes this.
  5. Dawgs99

Dawgs99 Starter

His base salary is 700K....so we'd be on the hook for 350k. Whats even more crazy is that If he hit most of his incentives he'd be over a Million per season!
  6. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-Conference

If you want him gone...next year....the easy path is to have Edwards leave this year....so a new AD can say...I gave it a year and we're going to do something different....if we dont do well.

Paulsen pulls of anything and he is good..no matter the AD.
  7. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

His base is not 700k. Its 400k something. With supplemental pay it goes up to 700 something.
  8. Leesburg Chankenstank III

Leesburg Chankenstank III All-American

This
  9. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

10. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Bye bye!
  11. patriot2000

patriot2000 Starter

I don't disagree with any of the points from those who disagreed with me. Very valid points. I guess I'm just still curious what a year with a healthy senior class, and potentially our best DP recruiting class looks like. If we don't get a healthy senior class next year, still let him go because his roster management is the reason we can't survive these injuries. You are correct that it would be hard to pull the trigger after a relatively successful year that does not end in NCAA/NIT. But we're just internet clowns who don't have to make the actual decisions! I would support firing next year with no postseason, probably no matter what.
  12. Mason32

Mason32 Sixth Man

Mason's not going to bring in the type of coach will just arrive with elite recruits, if they fire DP they will bring in someone pretty similar. So again you'd starting over and hoping over time something is built. You all can call for his head at the end of this year but he's not going anywhere.
  13. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

As much as I bash Frumpy Dave, I do have to remind my self constantly that it's a tough place to succeed. I think we all get carried away by 2 incredible weekends in 2006 and believe that's the norm or attainable again. It's not.
  14. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

It’s not just the Final Four it’s:

2006: Final Four
    2008: Round of 64
    2009: NIT
    2011: Round of 32

That’s a pretty good record for any team.

And even VCU hasn’t made it out of the first weekend since their final four and they’ve only missed the tournament once since then.
  15. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

OK, they def had a nice stretch with Coach L. He's gone and ain't coming back either.
  16. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels Hall of Famer

Where's the option for :

"Who cares? We're all going to be dead from Coronavirus in a month."
  17. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I believe that’s option 5
    Quentin Daniels likes this.
  18. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

ask and you shall receive
  19. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-Conference

We had more than a "good stretch" with L. Our worst finish was 6th place....the year before the Final Four.
    Our postseasons were regular under Larranaga..even early--
    Year 1 None
    Year 2- NCAA
    Year 3-None (but tied for 1st in conference)
    Year 4- NCAA
    Year 5- NIT
    Year 6- None
    Year 7-NIT
    Year 8- None (finished 6th...worst)
    Year 9- NCAA Final Four
    Year 10- None (went to CAA finals and were minutes from another trip to NCAA)
    year 11- NCAA
    Year 12-NIT
    Year 13- CIT
    Year 14- NCAA

We were essentially doing something about every other year. We won a sh*t ton of home games. We were always in the top of the conference.
    This isn't a Larranaga still rocks statement...this is...we were used to alot of good things over those 14 years when you look at the body of work.
    So it really does hurt to know what has happened to this program since 2011.

And why we really aren't spoiled in our expectations. We should be demanding to see the same level of success return.
  20. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-Conference

I wonder if L at the time of moving from bowling green massacre to gmu was a lateral transition or not. Maybe mason needs to take someone from a conference of similar ranking next or a higher up conference assistant coach