Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

OT - WaPo: From Madrid to the melting pot, educator helps map others’ success

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by mason89, Sep 4, 2015.

1. mason89

mason89 Sixth Man

2. Herndon

Herndon Starter

The outreach is real. I work at MITRE, and there are signs all over the place regarding Cabrerra giving a speech here.
  3. gmutom

gmutom All-American

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. I either want to be George Mason or Mason, but I can't stand the acronym. I know others here embrace it, but I won't buy anything that uses it.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    gmujim92 likes this.
  4. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-Conference

Looking back at the situation at the time....we missed on hiring the right basketball coach, but got the right President.

I really like that he has the newer mindset that higher education can be practical, innovative and profitable and not just a bunch of tweed jackets pontificating ideas....
  5. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-Conference

Although I fully back sending all the Portugalsese back to Madrid, I have been reasonably pleased with El Presidente.
    I wish him mucho successo, as we both mutually wish George Mason to excel.
    Jack Strop likes this.
  6. GMU92

GMU92 Starter

Interesting article, I like his focus on 1) continuing Mason's entrepreneurial focus 2) helping to diversify the region from the Fed Govt. 3) expressing a fear and dislike for heavy student loan borrowing.
    BandWagon18 likes this.
  7. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

The trick is in honoring both sides of the university (the professional and the academic). Also, we don't wear tweed anymore, it's beards, man buns and tattoo sleeves now (or if you're trying to be ironic, corduroy jackets with leather elbow patches).
    BandWagon18 likes this.
  8. Walter

Walter All-American

We are no longer in the top 25 in most innovative schools. We were once #1. Isn't that a reflection on El Presidente?
  9. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

I don't know.. but I like your picture.
  10. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

I would also like to take back my initial assessment that I am "reasonably pleased" with Cabrera.

I think he sucks.
    DJ3 likes this.
  11. psyclone

psyclone All-Conference

12. MasonCrew

MasonCrew Starter

I feel like we have to have one of the largest disparities in the country between our national ranking and our high school counselor ranking. This is probably due to our endowment which, if we're looking for a comparison would be like Pikapp's endowment relative to the average male.
    psyclone likes this.
  13. Herndon

Herndon Starter

BTW, I cannot emphasize how impressive it is that Mason is considered the 68th best public university in America. The school gained independence in 1972, and is already ranked higher than many "X State" universities with a much longer history, and much more money.

In 20 years, who knows what can happen, and this is happening while competing for top students with the #3 (UVA), #6(W/M) and #25 (VT) public schools in the nation in state.

It's entirely conceivable that Mason is the top public school in the DC area in that time, passing UMD.
  14. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Shoot, South Hampton Institute of Technology would pass UMD (points if you know the movie).
  15. The Great PATSby

The Great PATSby Starter

[​IMG]
    sleeperpick and Vurbel like this.
  16. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 Starter

Rankings aren't everything but man I would like to crack the top 100. I feel like all our metrics that make up the rankings, aside from our admission rate, have been improving. Was hoping to see a bigger improvement.
    couchcoach likes this.
  17. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Mason is never going to become a hyper-selective university, nor should it.
    BandWagon18 likes this.
  18. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 Starter

I never said it should be. But you can be in some like Tech's ballpark where it's an accessible school while still admitting much less than we do. 82% is really high. I don't want to be like UVA.
  19. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Yeah we admit a lot of garbage into Mason. I would think that's readily apparent just from some of the posts you read here.
  20. Leesburg Chankenstank III

Leesburg Chankenstank III Starter

Don't be so hard on yourself.