Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

NEW NEW Game 18: GMU (9-8 / 5-6) vs VCU (15-4 / 8-2) on Saturday, February 20, at 2:30 PM.

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Patriotsince81, Feb 13, 2021.

1. GMU_DCU

GMU_DCU All-Conference

“Unfudgeingbelievable man. Mason has punked us at home 3/4 times since Mike has been here.” :chuckle:
  2. PDGL Hoops

PDGL Hoops Sixth Man

So I was wrong.....well done Patriots.
  3. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

Extend DP to a lifetime contract!
  4. gmutom

gmutom Hall of Famer

So happy for our players. They deserved this win. Beating VCU at VCU is never easy. Bravo!
    jessej, psyclone and gmujim92 like this.
  5. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

Sorry guys, we’re losing out.
  6. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Itd be nice if he also coached his ass off in other games but I definitely agree. He pulled the right strings today.
    gmutom and gmujim92 like this.
  7. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

What the heck was that play at the end of regulation? Just because we won, let's not forget how terrible both teams looked.

I will give DP credit though for sticking with Frazier. He put the right guys on the floor at the time. Can't be easy to shake up rotations in a game like that.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  8. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

Beating vcu is always a welcomed sight. That being said, this win terrifies me.
  9. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Frazier looks like a keeper. Rebounds, defends, versatile and plays hard as hell ... he went to the floor at least 3 times chasing loose balls and that is not something we’ve been accustomed to seeing from our guys over the last decade. Love his hustle.

Oduro, Miller, Frazier and Kolek is something to work with, but we need to find a transfer guard to contribute right away or the rotation will be painfully short without Javon and AJ.
    mkaufman1 and gmutom like this.
  10. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Hall of Famer

I had an OT stroke
  11. p8triotfan4life

p8triotfan4life Starter

I agree with GMUTom. Josh Oduro is GMU's best big man since....Ryan Pearson.
    By George. likes this.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Preferably a point guard.

You could do something with a 4-out with Oduro at the center now that you have 4 players in that 6’6, 6’7 range. But it’s also putting a lot of pressure on some sophomores to actually deliver consistently when they haven’t shown that at all so far.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  13. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Didn’t watch a second of this game because apathy has hit me that hard. Glad we won!
  14. mkaufman1

pending a run to the a10 finals without losing, I wouldn’t be worried. And I’d put that at very unlikely.

beating vcu is great and all, but ultimately we want to be in the ncaas. I don’t see anything that tells me it’s on the horizon with this staff, and haven’t for a while now. If this is the bar for an extension, we have much bigger problems.
  15. mkaufman1

How about some love for Jamal hartwell today?

7 points 1 assist and 1 board in some very important 25 minutes.

At first it was obvious that XJ and polite would run the point, but with Xj struggling and polite still not being ready, Hartwell played a lot of good minutes especially in the second half.
    gmutom and gmujim92 like this.
  16. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

He was very steady handling the ball and hit a couple big shots. We needed all of it.
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  17. mkaufman1

I think hartwell was supposed to drive and pull up for a floater. They took a while bc they probably didn’t want to give vcu time to run the floor and get a basket.

that’s a total guess though. I also suspect Oduro was an option but he was covered.
  18. The Great PATSby

The Great PATSby Starter

Also looked like Javon was supposed to set a screen or draw some defenders but he got bumped to the ground. Def could have disrupted the plan.
    FreeGunston12, mkaufman1 and gmujim92 like this.
  19. mkaufman1

yeah- I think the hartwell driving was probably the second action or whatever.
  20. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

I agree and think Greene was plan A. When he fell down, there was no plan B. Next time if you want Greene to take the shot, just give him the ball. Especially when you are dribbling the clock down beforehand. That was a bad play design for the reasons we all saw play out.
    tblack33 and mkaufman1 like this.