Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

In Memoriam

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GreenLantern, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Hall of Famer

2. mason89

mason89 Starter

3. GreenLantern

GreenLantern All-American

Night Court was probably my favorite sitcom of the 80's. Had always hoped for a reunion but was not aware that Anderson had walked away from acting years ago.
    mason89 and Washingtonian like this.
  4. GreenLantern

5. GreenLantern

6. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

JimP, Walter and GreenLantern like this.
  7. Walter

Walter All-American

Even though Bourdain was a New York liberal, he could go to West Virginia and he would present the locals fairly. He would allow gun owners to make the case against gun control and he knew his role wasn't to debate but to understand them. He was never condescending. He accepted that different people all over the world and in US have different views and cultures. He celebrated those differences.

It is easy for liberals to appreciate the cultural differences of other countries, but they rarely extend the same to flyover country. Bourdain did.

I will miss his show and I will miss his approach to telling a story.

EDIT: I saw this quote today.

"I’ve gotta tell you, I was absolutely rocked back on my heels by, first of all, how beautiful it is, and how kind people were to me, and generous. I mean, in the same way that my preconceptions are upended so often around the world, I felt the same thing happening in West Virginia. In the stereotypical coal mining town in West Virginia — which is pretty much where we went, into the poorest area of West Virginia coal country — I was utterly moved and enchanted by the people and the place. And I like to think I came back from it with a more nuanced picture of what it means to be a coal miner, and why people voted for a sketchy businessman from New York who’s never changed a tire in his life.

You know, I went right at those things — guns, God, and Trump — and I was very moved by what I found there. I hope that people who watch the show will feel the same kind of empathy and respect, and will be able to walk in somebody else’s shoes, or imagine walking in somebody else’s shoes, for a few minutes in the same way that hopefully they do with one of my other shows."
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    GreenLantern likes this.
  8. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

That was a good quote. Bourdain always did a good job of making me check my preconceptions.
    Walter likes this.
  9. mason89

mason89 Starter

10. GreenLantern