Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Ian Boyd commits to Mason

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Washingtonian, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

JimP likes this.
  2. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I definitely don't want Hartwell to leave, I love his game, I think he provides a lot of experience at PG and his scoring ability is an added plus. His sophomore year was definitely uneven because of his health. This team needs him even if he is small. Let Polite ease into playing PG and learn from XJ and Hartwell.

For once its nice to have a full roster

4 frosh
    2 sophomores
    2 juniors
    3 Seniors
    2 redshirt seniors

If Paulsen can't have a good season with this type of roster, it probably means a new coach.
    gmujim92, GMUgemini and DJ3 like this.
  3. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

I think its possible that Hartwell had covid. I saw a report that covid was in the states as early as December, but doctors didn't know to look for it and were miss-diagnosing it with pneumonia and bronchitis
    Jack Strop likes this.
  4. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

oh come the f*ck on
  5. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Obviously we will never know. But call it pneumonia/covid. The point is he was definitely ill and it effected his game.
  6. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Never said I want Boyd dribbling — he is a catch and shoot guy. That’s what we need, again assuming the dribble handoff offense goes away.

I was saying this to @mkaufman earlier today, we actually have the personnel to run the offense Dave ran at Bucknell. Still lots of ball screens but more motion and passing, much less dribbling.

A dribble drive offense does not fit this roster without Kier.
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  7. sleeperpick

This is where we just don't agree. What makes you think the dribble hand off will go away or that we will run some sort of offense that allows smooth catch and shoots for our guards? We get them for AJ and Jordan but we don't generally get those for guards
  8. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

They were gonna hold it for Kier, but with all the uncertainty who knows when the NCAA would’ve gotten around to ruling on his medical.

Cant blame the staff for opting to fill the scholarship with a proven player instead of leaving it open and maybe ending up with neither Kier nor Boyd.
  9. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I hope we don’t lose Hartwell. I can see a lot of Hartwell and XJ and Hartwell and Polite on the floor together over the next two years.
    gmutom and sleeperpick like this.
  10. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Because we didn’t run this offense until Otis left and Dave was looking for something that fit Kier’s strengths?

If you remember Dave’s first year, we actually ran a double post offense with the rotation of Shevon, Jalen and Marko because we were young at guard and the bigs were the strength of the team.

Dribble handoff is not Dave’s base offense and he has zero reason to stick with it at this point.
  11. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I believe that the A10 will make the decision, assuming that a request for a waiver for a medical hardship has (or will be) submitted.
  12. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Also Dave’s offense generated plenty of wide open looks for Grayer and Boyd from the wings.

Again I will be stunned if the offense doesn’t look much different and play far more to our current players’ strengths.
    smccart5 likes this.
  13. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Not what I’ve heard. Was told the ball is in the NCAA’s court.
  14. p8triotfan4life

p8triotfan4life Starter

At least Boyd is a pretty decent shooter from 3-point land. We missed that this year.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  15. TweederGMU

TweederGMU Starter

Potential Starting 5 next year:

XJ
    Greene
    Boyd
    Miller
    AJ
  16. sleeperpick

2% chance that happens. AJ at 4 and Body by Oduro at 5.

My lineup would be XJ, Greene, Miller, AJ, Oduro.

Boyd is a career 6th-8th man and should stay that way. no need to reinvent the wheel with him
    DJ3, mkaufman1, gmutom and 1 other person like this.
  17. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

Agreed, really don’t wanna see AJ play the 5 next season, his best defensive work comes at the 4. I think Oduro is more than serviceable at the 5 on offense and I expect to see 8 and 6 out of him next year.
  18. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Couldn’t agree more. Ian is a terrific sixth man and will still play 20-plus minutes even if he never starts.
  19. p8triotfan4life

p8triotfan4life Starter

Ok...here is the scenario for Kier to return if granted a medical hardship waiver...one of these have to transfer out...not sure who had a more disappointing year between Mar and Calixte. Both played well at the end of the season:

Daddy, Hartwell, Mar or Calixte
  20. sleeperpick

goodbye Daddy. cannot afford to lose Hartwell or Calixte and Paulsen will never ever let go of his precious Mar. Also I have 1% hope Mar can return to his peak ability. still a chance though