Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Guns! And the People Who Love Them

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pikapppatri8, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

In the spirit of card and technology - I have another thread idea - Guns. Any conversation on new guns, reviews, technical discussions, range stories etc. are welcome.

Talk about your favorite carry firearm.

Tell a story about a rifle or shotgun handed down in your family and the memories it brings back.

Show your newest toy.

Let her rip!
  2. Walter

Walter All-American

I will neither confirm nor deny that I have any guns. I will say that when the SHTF, two is one and one is none. And ammo will be currency. But I am not paranoid.
  3. Pikapppatri8

Well just discuss the guns you "wished you had" . :)

I own nothing either and that is my answer if the government comes asking for them.
  4. Walter

Walter All-American

In an hypothetical world where I own guns, I probably would stockpile as few caliber sizes as is necessary. Off the top of my head, I might stockpile .22, 308, 9 mm and .223. I might have a few boxes of .380 for an LCP-type carry gun but there are small 9 mm guns that would be more effective.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. Pikapppatri8

Strong approach.

In my set up it’s 5.56/.233, 9mm,12 gauge, and 7.62x39 mm - that covers all tactical, hunting, and defense needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Walter

Walter All-American

How could I forget 12 ga? Especially since I would imagine having fun shooting my hypothetical bullpup KSG.
  7. Pikapppatri8

Well if I were to use a 12 gauge - I would rely on a Remington 870 magnum pump action . Reliable and proven action with interchangeable barrels for any occasion. It has tactical abilities, hunting applications, and you can shoot skeet. But it kicks

8. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

My (hypothetical) home defense gun is a Remington 870 12g with a 18 inch barrel, blued/black. I have it candy cane loaded with birdshot/buckshot to make it as safe as possible to use against an intruder inside the house.

The rest of my arsenal hasn't been 'planned' as they were inherited. I have two other shotguns. One pump action and one side-by-side double barrel. I think one is a 20 gauge.

I have .22 bolt action rifle. That is my long range zombie sniper rifle. I have stocked up with about 500 rounds of ammo for that in case a horde of liberals, err, I mean zombies, comes to attack/attempts to take my stuff.

Funny story, some of my daughters friends pointed out to me that my barn is the perfect bunker for the zombie apocalypse. The stairs to go up to the living area on the second floor can be sealed off with a trap door that requires a wench to raise it back up. So, you can seal yourself off upstairs and plink zombies from the windows with a view of all four directions. We have agreed to an informal arrangement that if the sh!t does hit the fan one day, they will bring their guns and we will defend the homestead together.

I still need to get a good concealed carry gun.
  9. Pikapppatri8

Well .22 long rifle is good to capture small game and target plinking but not sure about long range zombie zapping. Might need a .30 Calibre rifle or a brush gun (45-70) for that.

I have two M-4s and an AKM for tactical rifles. One M4 has a red dot sight the other has flip-up iron sights. I have a 9mm pistol for open carry (Ruger American).

Brian - you should look for a Ruger LC9s pro. It has an amazing trigger and was designed for conceal carry. It’s chambered in 9mm

10. Walter

Walter All-American

I concur, LC9 Pro is an excellent concealed carry gun.

Mrs. Williams carries the LCR with Crimson Trace. Happiness is warm revolver.

In a SHTF scenario, the Ruger 10/22 will be invaluable. They are cheap; buy 5 or more. Load up on 22 ammo too. You got food and currency.
  11. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look at the LC9s when I get around to getting a concealed carry gun.

On the .22 LR, I disagree (somewhat) based on some good statistics and reasoning. The statistics and reasoning seem to show that caliber matters in such few situations, on the order of less than 1%. Having any gun and shot placement account for the other 99%. The argument for .22 LR is the following:
    • Shot placement matters much more than caliber for stopping someone
    • Shooting a .22 accurately is easier due to less recoil
    • Shooting frequently helps your accuracy. Shooting a .22 frequently is easier due to less recoil
    • Expense factors in as well. Given how cheap .22 LR ammo is, you are more likely to practice and be more accurate. It also makes it cheap to stockpile.
    • I already had a .22 in my possession
    • It is a light setup in case you have to be mobile
    • I have shotguns to backup anything that makes it past the .22 plinking. I have the short barrel Remington 870 handle all but the closest of encounters.
    Admittedly not a perfect setup, but, I haven't put a lot of time/money in so it is my poor man's initial setup.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  12. Pikapppatri8

Brian - agreed shot placement is an important factor -- yes but when comparing similar cartridges. For example - you have 9mm and .40 SW and .45 ACP fanboys argue about which is the best self defense cartridge for a handgun From a ballistics standpoint they are basically the same -- and ergo shot placement and skill is the only true differentiator on effectiveness.

Fact is - a .22LR has limited penetration and tissue damage. It wont stop a guy or knock him down. It will wound and it will hurt. At close range -- really close - a head shot or an up close shot to a vital organ --- it will kill. But you need to be a good shot and close.

With a more potent cartridge -- you have more wiggle room in tactical situations.

For survivalist purposes - I think a .22LR is great for defense against animals like wolves and to capture small game for food. I am with you on that. But if I want to drop a bad guy - give me a 9mm.

Now one option is a pistol calibre carbine - recoil is zippy and you can use the same cartridge/magazine from your handgun in the carbine. So you can leverage one type of cartridge and use in multiple applications. A 9mm pistol calibre carbine leverages a longer barrel to get more muzzle velocity making it practical for small game as well as defense.

For full disclosure --- I have a 10/22 - first rifle I ever owned.
  13. Pikapppatri8

Ok the production quality this is poor but I was drinking and only had
    My phone to video it - I put together a quick and dirty rifle review . Tell
    Me what you think

View: https://youtu.be/Jy5vu5xsTUg

14. Walter

Walter All-American

Good job. I am not knowledgeable on the AK at all. Are there any US made AKs?
  15. Pikapppatri8

Yes two companies one in Nevada, and one in Texas. They make the receivers on up.

The Russian company that makes the Russian AK has opened a plant in the US as well.

There are rumors that FNH is going to make barrels in South Carolina.

16. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

Enjoyed watching the video PiKapp. I liked your reference to our local hysterical crowd.
  17. Pikapppatri8

It was a shout out of love. Just a little toungue in cheek.

[​IMG]
  18. JimP

JimP All-American

PiKapp gave a shout out to the slippery slopers? Nice fella that Pikapp.
  19. Pikapppatri8

An it was a loving shout out sir.

JimP likes this.
  20. Pikapppatri8

Here is another one.