Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Yossarian, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian Preferred Walk-On

2. Five Two

Five Two Starter

Anyone know what is being done on the lot at the corner of University Dr and George Mason Blvd, across the street from University Hall? The lot is cleared and fencing up all around it. Not sure if that land is owned by the university, though.
  3. gmububba

gmububba Recruit

New academic building for College of Health and Human Services (Academic VII/Research III): http://facilities.gmu.edu/projects/view-project.cfm?customel_dataPageID_2336=2483

http://facilities.gmu.edu/CampusPla...20924-Land-and-Building-Committee-24SEP12.pdf (first few slides)
  4. Walter

Walter All-American

Construction cost $3.5 million? That must be a misprint.

Also, the gateway signs look lame.
  5. EXpatriot13

EXpatriot13 Starter

Hell of a step up compared to the signs they have at the entrances to campus now.
    MasonFanatic likes this.
  6. MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic Starter

Wow, I knew about the new CHHS building, but I thought it was going somewhere completely different. Mind = blown.
  7. Walter

Walter All-American

Agreed. But could be better.
  8. Yossarian

Yossarian Preferred Walk-On

$3.5 mil seems really low to me for that CHHS building. Also, I thought Ffx county/city owned that property (are we talking about the gravel lot where buses are normally parked?) Did Mason own that spot all along and rent it, or was this a recent land grab that slipped under the radar?
  9. MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic Starter

I believe that is the planning budget for the architect, the line below (which is blank) is where the construction budget should be listed.
  10. EXpatriot13

EXpatriot13 Starter

No, it's the area between the new dorms that were just recently built and University Hall. I believe it used to be called Lot I/H.
  11. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

The University did buy the land across the street about 3.5 years ago. But I don't think the CHHS building is going there. Something else is planned for that plot of land.
  12. Scythe

Scythe Administrator Staff Member

13. gmu05

gmu05 Starter

14. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

15. EXpatriot13

EXpatriot13 Starter

Should have just made it a residence/dining hall in the first place. The demand for on-campus housing continues to increase, why not address the issue? Additional space for conferences and gatherings could have been planned differently and placed elsewhere.

The place was never full. Good move by the University to do this now rather then later. There are too many other hotel options (and much cheaper) in Fairfax alone.
  16. Washingtonian

Washingtonian All-American

I wonder if people knew it existed. I mean, there is the Days Inn (or whatever the hotel is near I-66 on Route 123) and that's it until you get to Tyson's to the north and Woodbridge/Lake Ridge to the south.
  17. gmu05

gmu05 Starter

why did they ever think a fancy hotel on a commuter-perceived school would ever be worth it
  18. EXpatriot13

EXpatriot13 Starter

There are a lot of nice hotel options in Fairfax: Marriott Fair Oaks, Courtyard Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott (amongst a few others).
  19. Scythe

Scythe Administrator Staff Member

The Mason Inn was constructed as a solution in search of a problem. There aren't enough large scale conferences and such on campus to make it fully utilized year round -- which I think they realized.

If anything dorm rooms should've been top priority -- you can milk those for a long time.
  20. Washingtonian

Washingtonian All-American

True, those are on Route 29 (I think). I always thought that the closer a hotel is to an interstate, the more expensive it gets.