Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

George Mason - The Man

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Walter, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Walter

Walter All-American

This link may violate the "no politics" rule, but I have always thought we should have a thread about the guy our university is named after. So, the first post from the Federalist:

http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/08...nding-gun-control-at-george-mason-university/

"George Mason, born in Fairfax County, Virginia, was the most influential Founding Father you’ve never heard of. He was both a stalwart defender of individual rights—including the right to bear arms—and a fierce critic of government’s propensity to exceed its authority."
  2. GMU92

GMU92 Starter

Mason and Patrick Henry are amongst my favorite figures from the Founding era. (A mid-19th century print "Patrick Henry addressing the General Assembly" is on my living room wall, along with prints of Gunston Hall and portraits of Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe). Been to Gunston Hall several times, I hope to the make the trip to Red Hill sometime soon.

Without wading too deep into the politics (you've probably already guessed my leanings), a guy like Obama is VERY aware of both the politics (trying to drum up support in the increasingly liberal area of a key swing state) AND the symbolism of selecting Mason for such an address.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Walter likes this.
  3. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

A T-Paine fan myself
  4. GMU92

GMU92 Starter

Ah, you have a lot of common sense (sorry, couldn't resist)
    phoenix-arizona likes this.
  5. Walter

Walter All-American

6. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer