Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Gameday Experience

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by GSII, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Let me make sure I understand. Brad Edwards was sitting in this office and said, "hey, I'm just not going to fund the Masonettes going to a national competition just for kicks. That sounds like a fun thing to do!"

Yeah, sure.
    Pikapppatri8 likes this.
  2. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

Hey as an "old fart" I really enjoy the games - I like watching the Masonnettes as closely as possible - and this Old Fart still heckles the ref, opposing fans, and the visiting team. I eat a lot of wings and drink a lot of beer while louldy cheering. At the end of each game I am probably hoarse and drunk and rely on the wife to drive me home ---- if she is still talking to me. Otherwise I beg a ride from an AOII.

Old fart my f*cking ass.
    GMUgemini likes this.
  3. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Wouldn't this have to come from Barnes & Noble and not the university?
  4. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I think some fans need to realize where the university is (hint: not downtown Richmond). If you're going to invite the community in, you have to accept the fact that it's mostly families and old farts.

By the way, young kids, if coached properly by their parents, are a lot more fun at games than drunk college kids (just ask PiKapp).
  5. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 Starter

Yup, at this point you fill the seats.
  6. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

Except for VCU. Too many VCU people get in. I say we hold their games at the RAC and only season ticket holders, students, and Mason alumni in the building! Sure, we'll lose some $ by not selling them tickets, but think of the money we would save on air freshener.
    Wefo27 and BandWagon18 like this.
  7. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Sixth Man

How excactly are the Masonettes now restricted from national competition? Is it the loss of funding that the group needs to overcome, or do they need some sort of official University endorsement or commitment to be eligible to compete that the University is no longer willing to offer?

If the Masonettes have 15 members plus coach and other team officials attending national competition, you'd have to think the cost is going to exceed $5,000 by a large margin. However, if the costs of maintaining the dance team can be covered by alternative means then what would prohibit the team to compete nationally? If the money is there, no matter where it comes from, internally or externally, then I say, "Knock yourself out! Go and compete and you have my blessing. If you can pay for it then go!" At least give the team the option to self-fund.

The Masonettes are a nice addition to the Mason community. I'd like to keep them as part of the program. What else is going on here? It appears to be more than money.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  8. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 Starter

This is a great idea. It always amazes me how many of the great unwashed from Richmond travel. I guess when you sleep with your sister-wife in a camper it makes it easier.
  9. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

The following are direct quotes from Brad Edwards posted above:

"We have received your emails with your concerns regarding the competitive element of the Mason spirit teams."

"First of all, we very much value our entire spirit squad."

"The primary purpose of the Masonettes, outside of earning a college degree, is to promote and enhance game day atmosphere."

"The Mason Spirit Program creates energy inside EagleBank Arena, fosters camaraderie with our fans and makes our athletic department and the Fairfax County community a more vibrant and welcoming place."

"This is the part of the program our Mason Athletics prioritizes, and because of that, continuing to focus on the competitive aspect does not align with our department’s ongoing strategic plan or the current NCAA collegiate athletics landscape."

"By way of process, an internal committee was formed and charged with evaluating all aspects of the spirit program."

"This study revealed that the teams’ participation in the non-NCAA affiliated competition carried with it major deficit spending that continues to grow at a double digit pace annually and has been covered each year with funds raised from our NCAA sport programs."
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. DJ3

DJ3 Starter

Love it! Mason needs to start getting creative to drive attendance. and I think this is genius.
  11. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

Yes my son is far more disciplined than I was or am at basketball games. But - you see - I don't care what anybody thinks. ;)

Plus - he gets waaaaay more AOII's than I did at his age.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Aren't we talking about thousands of tickets lost?
  13. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Absolutely - the attendance was 7,780 for the VCU game on 12/30/16.
  14. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

2000 Tickets aren't sold. We don't make $40,000. Small price to pay to not having to be around VCU people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

You need to re-check your math - the RAC has seating for 1,550.
  16. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-Conference

Nobody I know really likes Mason anymore.

They always bother you for money and they lose to stupid teams like Mt. St. Mary's and Loyola.

Pissing the Masonettes off just makes me dislike them more although it is true that feeding them Bojangles isn't cheap.
  17. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

I was thinking we LOSE those people by not being in EBA. Obviously, we aren't going to move one of our most attended games to the RAC. I didn't think anybody would take it literal that we should have 6,000 fewer attendees.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  18. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-Conference

I took it literally and agree completely although in fairness I am often described as functionally retarded.

I know a lot of my feminist liberal acquaintances from Mason are just chomping at the bit to put on their ridiculous pussy hats and go protest Edwards right now.
  19. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

If they're watching their team getting crushed, I've got no problem with 1,000 VCU fans giving GMU's AD money.
  20. jmckend1

jmckend1 Starter

I think a "pussy hat" goes for about $40 in Ocean View. :eek: