Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Game Thread: Mason (11-2) vs. VCU (10-3), Sunday, January 5th, 12:00 PM

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by mkaufman1, Dec 31, 2019.

1. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I probably didn't say it the best, but essentially its more so what Jim said. Now that Dave has infrastructure in place, they can at least judge Dave fairly. Having infrastructure doesn't mean a top 4 finish or better recruits by any stretch. My underlying point was that because of infrastructure, I can have more confidence in Dave (or anyone) that he can improve the program in various areas. Having confidence doesn't mean it is a guarantee by any stretch.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  2. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

What this really means is this is the end and Oduro isn't getting any better. Where is the consistent player growth and development in the kids DP brought in? Remember all the Calixte talk? Where did his potential growth go over the summer? It's a disturbing pattern of player regression. Mar, Otis, Grayer even to a degree. I wouldn't be surprised if Kier ends up there too. Reuter saga is well documented as are DP's earlier whiffs. We scream mediocrity folks.

Is Brad going to accept mediocrity like W&M did for 17 years under Shaver?

I say get rid of DP and let Simpkins take over.

11-1 my ass. We had to come back in 2nd half's to beat more than half those shitty teams we scheduled.
    GMU1983, DJ3 and PoorManProfit like this.
  3. Five Two

Five Two All-American

I too see upside in Oduro that I wasnt so sure about this summer.
    I also agree that he can't bang with A10 bigs. So why do we constantly match him up man to man when he is over matched? We made no in-game adjustments on defense Sunday afternoon. (or did we and I missed it?) Maybe throw a zone at them for a possession or two change the look. It cant be worse than leaving Oduro or AJ or Greg alone 1 on 1 to get torched.
    Bricker, sleeperpick and gmutom like this.
  4. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

When Oduro was guarding MSS, no double. When Calixte guarded MSS, a double came. SMH.
  5. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Head up my friend. You aren’t wrong, but there’s no sense in going in circles on most of these topics again. Oduro is only a freshman. Not sure why Calixte hasn’t developed more.
  6. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

The player bears a share of the responsibility to do the work to get better.

Otis worked his ass off and maxed out what he could be. Did any of us think when he was a freshman that he’d become an all-timer at Mason? Anyone who says yes is lying.

Kier has done the same thing. He’s a warrior. Unfortunately he is hurt and you can see he has no explosiveness — either because of the foot or ankle — and a huge part of his game is driving the ball.

We need more guys like Santos-Silva who are totally committed to being great and willing to do whatever it takes to get there. The kind of improvement he has made has very little to do with coaching — it’s about will and effort.
    mason89 likes this.
  7. By George.

By George. Starter

Someone had to say it!

I’m getting tired of people’s fluff takes, take a stand already. People really need a 6th year to learn who DP is? Claiming we have a championship culture is almost laughable. Do our players like playing together? Sure, but absolutely nothing of the last 2 games suggests championship anything. DP has the best facilities of any coach in our history and previous coaches have recruited better with far less. Us at By George have become numb to all this and have accepted DP for who he is but the answers to Petey’s question so far have been less than convincing.
  8. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

First two paragraphs are spot on. Last paragraph is crap Jim... Unless you admit Paulsen can't recruit kids who want to get better but start off at a level far above an Otis or Kier (maybe)... Santos Silva had 2 power 5 offers (one from a team you crap on BC). He was benched and his father wanted him to transfer after his freshman year because of lack of playing time (ask a VCU fan). But through his own heart and great coaching he has become a top 5 big in the A10 as a junior.

You cannot have it both ways. Either Paulsen can't recruit or he can't develop players. Or both (like I think). He most certainly cannot recruit and develop because a lot of these kids max out WAYYYY too low compared to their A10 enemies
    GMU1983 and DJ3 like this.
  9. sleeperpick

we talk far too much about the size and strength discrepancy between us and upper tier A10 teams.. so we recruit two string beans and an athletic big that needs to add 25 lbs at least. Start recruiting these dudes who look like they have hit puberty and maybe we won't continue to be outmatched physically and athletically.

Also Bones Hyland is going to give me nightmares for the next 3 years... They stole him from much better offers.
  10. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Do you honestly believe we SHOULD be recruiting at the same level as VCU?

Even when we were in the CAA we didn’t recruit on their level. Since then they’ve matched our FF, gone back to the dance seven times and sunk $25M into a new practice facility.

Of course Dave isn’t recruiting guys on that level. My point was Santos-Silva is a product of discipline and hard work, not coaching, and Rhoades himself has acknowledged that.

Do we have enough guys who are willing to live in the weight room? Certainly doesn’t seem like it.
  11. By George.

By George. Starter

You really think Silva’s production has nothing to do with coaching? This debate should end here.
    DJ3 and sleeperpick like this.
  12. duncanlamb

duncanlamb Sixth Man

give him a full year in the gmu practice facility and the system. he will develop.into a beast.

He has all the tools to become a good a10 level big.
  13. sleeperpick

what system?
  14. sleeperpick

of course not Jim. I would just love to win a kid over an actual A10 team rather than being toe to toe with Towson for every recruit. I am super high on Malik Henry but can't say I am super inspired to recruit two more kids with high school basketball ready bodies. We need some weight room type of a dudes in this program but we recruit the same player over and over again and then don't change how we coach. It is consistently disappointing

Also the Santos Silva development certainly involves coaching. Coaching is obviously not everything... I am sure Rhoades has acknowledged that he has NOTHING to do with Santos-Silva being a successful A10 player
    DJ3 likes this.
  15. duncanlamb

duncanlamb Sixth Man

As a fan of both schools, I can sa
    As a mason/vcu fan, I can say tell you that vcu's front line isnt maryland or TCU.

The game was decided when AJ wilson got in foul trouble. It could well have gone the other direction if silva got in foul trouble.

See VCU vs. Witchita State game.

The point is opponents are successful when they get Santos-Silva in foul trouble early, take their ability to play inside-out and reduce them to a jump shooting team.

GMU needs to get MSS in early foul trouble to win in Richmond.
    mason89 and Walter like this.
  16. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Nothing? That’s too strong.

But coaches are limited in the amount of time they can work with kids. The difference between a decent-to-good player and a great player almost always lies in the individual’s willingness to work outside team practice.
    mason89 and Pablo like this.
  17. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I agree!

https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/bios/santos-silva_marcus_69d8:

"Reshaped his physique and shed nearly 40 pounds prior to freshman season"
  18. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Yes, the head coach and the strength and conditioning coach are absolutely essential for player development. But, it still requires the maximum effort on the players' part to become outstanding players.
    mason89, By George. and gmujim92 like this.
  19. sleeperpick

Dave must be recruiting non winners and lazy a-holes because they sure as heck aren't getting much better. must be that...(being completely facetious)
  20. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Well he recruited an all-state player from Minnesota who seemingly has forgotten how to play basketball and a scoring machine from Westchester NY who can’t even hit a shot in practice. I honestly don’t know what to make of that. It’s baffling.
    Bricker likes this.