Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Game 8: GMU (5-2 / 1-0) vs Dayton (4-2 / 0-1) on Saturday, January 2, at 4:30PM.

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Patriotsince81, Dec 30, 2020.

1. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

And this is precisely what I’m tired of about how Mason has played the last 6 seasons.
    DJ3, patriot2000, sleeperpick and 4 others like this.
  2. Petey Buckets

Petey Buckets Starter

Tom nailed the in-game analysis. Missed opportunity to steal one on the road that could be important for tiebreakers and seeding later on this season.

I would really love to know how often we've played a full 40 minutes against a good team under Dave. Feels like either get blown out or come storming back from 15 down every damn time. The glass half full take is that the guys battled back, the glass half empty take is why are we down 18 immediately after the opening tip. Just mind boggling.
    DJ3, gmutom and mkaufman1 like this.
  3. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Like I say, turn the corner, circle the same block.

we saw other adjustments in defensive strategy along the way, but not exploiting their lack of depth is really mind boggling. That was the difference and separates you when you are in a league like the a10.
  4. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I like the way that Davidson's Bob McKillop operates. He relies totally on his son and the other assistants to prepare the game plan. Then, he does the in-game coaching and makes the required adjustments as the game goes on. If the game plan isn't working, then he has no incentive to stick with it.
    DJ3, gmubrian, GMU1983 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

Not to worry. I have us covered with our slogan for next year......."Seven Years of Suck."
    DJ3 and mkaufman1 like this.
  6. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

It's not just good teams...it's middling teams and even bad teams. There have been WAY too many wins left on the table for this precise reason.
    DJ3 likes this.
  7. Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels Hall of Famer

You’re all a bunch of whiny quitters. We actually won that game. By a lot. It was stolen by the crooked Refs and @Pikapppatri8 has been on the phone w/the A-10 offices.

We only need 9 points after all!!!
    GreenLantern, Jack Strop and gmutom like this.
  8. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

That article made the loss even worse. Not only did they have only 7 players, I think it said 5 of those 7 had not played a college game before this season. And to put the cherry on top, two assistant coaches were absent as well.

No wonder DP was pissy. He played a team that had one arm tied behind it's back, and lost.
  9. Petey Buckets

Petey Buckets Starter

According to kenpom, at 63 possessions this was by far our slowest-paced game of the season (second was 68 against Howard). Just inexcusable from a game planning/management perspective.
  10. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

You seem to understand this. Does DP? Does his staff? Anyone? Buellar? Buellar?
  11. Petey Buckets

Petey Buckets Starter

I think there's some nuance here in that when our press doesn't generate turnovers it does push opponents deeper in the shot clock. I noticed a few times Dayton taking 8-9 seconds to cross halfcourt and starting their sets with 15-17 seconds left on the shot clock. Usually that's a good result but it played into their hands in this case. Not sure tactically how they could have adjusted without being much more aggressive, but considering Crutcher and Watson are such good ballhandlers that could've gotten burned too. Only two steals all game and only 12 TOs for Dayton is still pretty bad considering they had two guards play 40 minutes though.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

If we were more efficient offensively and more solid defensively, I'd say being able to play slow and forcing the opposing team to play with a shortened clock would work, but we aren't either of those two things.
  13. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Apparently it’s genius-level stuff for a coach to insist on speeding up the opponent when they are severely shorthanded. Because we spent the entire first half letting them do whatever they pleased like it was a walk in the MFing park.
  14. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

Shocking that a squad with strong ball handlers handled a press applied by an unathletic opponent.
  15. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY Hall of Famer

I mean I consider most of what we did a delay press with the goal to make em pass it a few times and start halfcourt offense late...only get an occasional TO.

Worked fine, and shot clock 101 defense, but not what I'd limit myself to against a depleted roster.

And as you nail, play that methodical against...
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  16. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

So our press promotes effective ball movement for the opposing teams offensive set??

Is this the cousin of 'homecourt disadvantage'?
  17. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Who????
  18. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

George Papas
  19. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Yes, wrong thread...deleted the post.
  20. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY Hall of Famer

Fordham erasing all pretense of our moral victory versus Dayton (no one thinks that), taking the Flyers to the brink...down 43-41 eight minutes left.