Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Game 8: GMU (5-2 / 1-0) vs Dayton (4-2 / 0-1) on Saturday, January 2, at 4:30PM.

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Patriotsince81, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

Dayton is currently 4 - 2 on the season and 0 - 1 in A10 play.

History: Including tournament play DP is 2-3 against the Flyers.

Wins: Eastern Illinois (66-63), Northern Kentucky (66-60), Mississippi St. (85-82 Double Overtime), Ole Miss (65-62)
    Losses: SMU (66-64), LaSalle (67-65)

Schedule: https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
    Roster: https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
    Stats: https://daytonflyers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats

Dayton is led by 6’10” Mustapha Amzil who started/played for the first time this year against LaSalle and had 22 points and 7 rebounds. 6’5” Ibi Watson (16.5 ppg & 4.3 reb), 6’1” Jalen Crutcher (17.5 ppg & 4.3 reb), 6’9” Chase Johnson (12.2 ppg & 6.0 reb), and 6’1” Rodney Chatman (10.0 ppg & 2.3 reb). Jordy Tshimanga (6.7 ppg) has also started all 6 games for the flyers.

Dayton averages 68.5 points per game while giving up 66.7. The Flyers shoot 50.2% from the floor and 36.7% from 3. Opponents are shooting 41.9% from the field and 31.4% from 3. They shoot 74.3% from the free throw line. The Flyers are currently being out rebounded their opponents by 1.6 boards per game. They average 17.3 turnovers per game.

The game is on NBCSN.

My prediction: The Flyers shoot the ball well and play good defense. The one glaring weakness thus far has been turnovers. I expect a low scoring game. One thing in our favor is that Covid restrictions will help reduce their home court advantage by eliminating their average home crowd of over 13,000. Flyers 70 - Patriots 64 in a quiet arena. We fall to 1 - 1 in A10 play.

Discuss.
  2. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Chase Johnson just left the team due to failing out of college the second straight year I presume. They are weaker than we are in front court. If we contain Crutcher I honestly think we can win this one. Well maybe not but we shall see. Mason by 3
    gmutom and gmujim92 like this.
  3. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I'm guessing that Jordan will return to the starting lineup replacing Javon.
    By George. likes this.
  4. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

We’ll literally never have a better chance to get them in Dayton, what with no crowd and very little up front for our big guys to contend with. A 2-0 start with both away from Fairfax would open some eyes.
    ephoops and tblack33 like this.
  5. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

I think Grant is going to light a fire under Dayton after their showing tonight. I am stoked on our win at Umass but let’s not act like we looked particularly good, Umass just pretty bad and it showed. Dayton by 12+. I think we’re about to start to see our wheels fall off unfortunately. Side note— anyone know how I can watch NBC sports with no cable? Maybe Brions showing the game?
  6. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

I do agree with your points though if there were ever a time to go up to Ohio (ew) and steal a W it would be this Saturday.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  7. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Are we forgetting they did it two seasons ago? Boneheaded coaching decisions by Grant in the second half gave us that win, too.

(Javon with the monster box out of Obi Toppin late in that game to help seal the win, too).
    By George. likes this.
  8. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

Honestly I did completely forget about that. I didn’t think we’d ever won at Dayton. Wasn’t that during Kiers monster stretch?
  9. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

tblack33 likes this.
  10. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

11. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

Yes, the game will be on at Brion's.
  12. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

it was actually amazing. Mason was 7-1 in conference and we were all over the moon in excitement.

of course they finished 4-6 the rest of the way and out of the double bye.
    By George. and gmujim92 like this.
  13. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Yup, Goanar broke his foot, Boyd broke his wrist and it’s been pretty much downhill since then...
    GMUgemini and mkaufman1 like this.
  14. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-American

Beating Dayton in Dayton would be a nice feather in this season's cap, even if they aren't Peak Dayton.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  15. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Starter

Get a free trial of YouTube TV, Sling, DirectTV, or similar. Then stream it to your TV (or, watch on your PC screen). Don't forget to cancel the service before the free period expires.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    tblack33 likes this.
  16. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Hall of Famer

Us 73
    Them 84
    OT

Make my wife happy!
  17. psyclone

psyclone All-American

Kenpom has Dayton as a 9 pt favorite. The only possible advantage in the stats is that Mason's offensive rebounding % is good (90th nationally) whereas Dayton's defense for that stat is poor (311th). Might be a function of their quality of opponents, though.
  18. patriot2000

patriot2000 Starter

We also have more offensive rebound opportinites because we miss so many shots :)
    Patriot Lawdog likes this.
  19. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

KenPom doesn’t reflect that their best big man, PF Chase Johnson, either quit or got kicked out of school (depending on who you talk to) prior to the LaSalle game Wednesday.

I’m sure their guys will be plenty motivated to not lose another home game and start A-10 play 0-2, but this is one we can steal if we prevent Crutcher and Watson from going berserk.
  20. JimP

JimP All-American

Anybody know the status of Henry and Frazier III?