Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Game 19: GMU (10-8 / 6-6) vs GW (4-9 /3-3) on Wednesday, February 24, at 6PM.

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Patriotsince81, Feb 20, 2021 at 5:46 PM.

1. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

GW is currently 4 - 9 on the season and 3 - 3 in A10 play.

History: Including tournament play DP is 4 - 7 against the Colonials.

Wins: Coppin St., Fordham, Duquesne, Rhode Island
    Losses: Navy, Hampton, UMBC, Delaware, William & Mary, Charlotte, Duquesne, VCU, Dayton

Schedule: https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
    Roster: https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
    Stats: https://s3.amazonaws.com/gwsports.com/stats/mbball/2020/pdf/cume.pdf

GW is led by 6’2” James Bishop (19.8 ppg), 6’7” Jamison Battle (18.4 ppg & 5.9 reb), 6’8” Ricky Lindo (13.0 ppg & 10.0 reb), and 6’9” Mathew Moyer (10.1 ppg & 9.6 reb). 6’9” Chase Parr rounds out the starting lineup but doesn’t always play major minutes. Lindo, who transferred from Maryland, made a big impact in his 2 games with GW. He had 13 points & 12 rebounds against VCU and 13 points & 8 rebounds against Dayton.

GW averages 72.4 points per game while giving up 73.8. The Colonials shoot 45.6% from the floor and 33.6% from 3. Opponents are shooting 45.2% from the field and 33.8% from 3. The Colonials shoot 70.6% from the free throw line. They have been out rebounded by opponents by 1.4 boards per game. They average 14.9 turnovers per contest.

The game is on ESPN+ and MASN.

My prediction: During the DP era this has been a battle of streaks. GW won the first 5, then lost to us 4 consecutive times, and then swept us last year. GW is big and they have a very nice 1 - 2 - 3 punch in Bishop, Battle, and Lindo. Contain them and we have a shot. I also believe the more than month long layoff with affect them negatively.

GMU 71 - GW 70 in a game that’s closer than it should be given the circumstances.

News outlets will report that the James Mason Patriot/Dukes squeaked by the George Madison Colonials at the Fairfax Foggy Bottom Bank Arena in Harrisonburg.

Discuss.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    GMU_DCU and gmubrian like this.
  2. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-American

3. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

Fun fact: after every game we have won at VCU under Paulsen, we’ve lost the very next game.

GW 77 Mason 69 (nice)
  4. psyclone

psyclone All-American

A bit of surprise...after a month without a game, GW at home beats URI by 8. It was a tied game until the last 2 minutes.

Kenpom has Mason as a 7 pt favorite.
  5. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

George Washington colonials 75
    George Madison colonials of the patriot league 67
    GMU_DCU likes this.
  6. GMU_DCU

GMU_DCU All-Conference

How many points will Peterson score?
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  7. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

8. mkaufman1

At least 50, but he’s got nothing on Abraham.
  9. DRK331

DRK331 Recruit

Mason would make it to the NCAA Tournament every year if they would be sponsored by Nike instead of adidas.
    emjayar08 and tblack33 like this.
  10. mkaufman1

it’s that easy of a solution, huh?
  11. GreenLantern

GreenLantern Hall of Famer

12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Tough one since we both just won games we probably shouldn’t have. I have no confidence in either team being consistent. Let call it Mason by 3 in an ugly game.
  13. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

No reason we should lose to GW. With Frazer in the lineup now, team plays different.
  14. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

It remains to be seen if VCU was Frazier's coming out party or not. I hope it is, because we need more options off the bench who can actually produce on both sides of the court.

My principle concern is Jamison Battle. You'd think you would put AJ on him, but he's also so good at shooting off of screens and I don't know if AJ is going to be able to chase Battle around those screens. And then there's Bishop, who I assume Greene will mostly guard. Guy has scored 20+ in 10 of their games this season. If both Battle and Bishop are on and we have no way to stop them, this could be a GW situation like we saw last year.
    tblack33 likes this.
  15. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

The Mason team we saw Saturday wins these next 2 games. Will be interesting to see if that team shows up again because consistency of focus and effort has been elusive under DP.
  16. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

Maybe AJ gets a jolt from Frazer? He certainly needs something. Maybe same jolt is contagious to the rest of the team and we see something that we haven't in a very long time.

Or, maybe we hear how great practices have been and then shit the bed per usual.
  17. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Parr and Moyer were out last game... not sure why but if that's the case I see no issue thinking Mason wins by 5 or more. Bishop and Lindo are very nice pieces and you have to guard Battle but they lack defense and if you can contain Battle (outside shooting).
  18. psyclone

psyclone All-American

Vegasinsider opens with Mason favored by 8.
  19. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

These next two games determine will Paulsen’s fait. On paper Mason should win out and finish 7th ( I think) in the conference
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 6:31 PM
  20. TweederGMU

TweederGMU Starter

Goodguys 68
    Dub 65