Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Game 12: GMU (6-5 / 2-3) vs Rhode Island (6-7 / 3-3) on Saturday, January 16, at 2PM.

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Patriotsince81, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

That speaks volumes about a failed culture in the program.
    Dawgs99, gmujim92 and tblack33 like this.
  2. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Yep this is the sh!t that losing programs do. Winners are too concerned about winning to waste time with “highlights.”
    Patriotsince81 likes this.
  3. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

I see this team finishing the regular season at 9-15 (5-13 A10) assuming all games get played.
    Patriotsince81 likes this.
  4. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Winnable games (not necessarily games they will win)

St. Joes x 2
    GW x2
    UMass (included because they won the first meeting)
    Fordham
    Duquesne

If they win all these games, they'll be 9-9 and we are definitely stuck with Paulsen for another season. But we're also going to find out very fast if that's even possible because they get St. Joes back to back on the 20th and 23rd next week, and then GW on the 27th.

edit: This would also be a VERY soft 9 wins as 6 of these wins would be against the bottom four teams and most likely none against the top 4 (probably top 6 -- if we manage to beat UMass twice, I can't imagine them finishing top 6).
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  5. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

You may be right, but I'm blaming the individual players who retweeted their highlights after the 20-point loss. If Coach Paulsen fails to appropriately address this issue and we see a recurrence after another loss, then I am blaming him and the culture.
  6. Patriotsince81

The culture is shared by all involved.
  7. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

those are def winnable, but I see a split at best with st Joe’s and gw. No chance they’ll beat Duquesne. Umass is a tossup and Fordham they’ll win although that might be a toss up too.

if they somehow end 9-9 that better still not be good enough to keep Dave around. These theoretically are all winnable but I doubt they’ll sweep GW and St Joe’s.
  8. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Duquesne is winnable without Sincere Carry.

Seems like they're our version of UMass only going the other way (Our last four against them: 3 point loss, 1 point loss, 2OT loss, 1 point win). Doesn't mean we will win, though.

And, yeah, I can't imagine this team being consistent enough against anyone to sweep them. St. Joes, GW, UMass...at least 2 losses out of those 3, maybe as many as 4.
    gmujim92 and mkaufman1 like this.
  9. mkaufman1

Even with only the permitted number of players or less I still think Dambrot will out coach paulsen.
  10. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

We got swept by GW last year, don’t see us sweeping them this year. Chance to sweep
    Joe’s though and Fordham needs to be another 20 point win.
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  11. Patriotsince81

I will predict 4 more wins. St. Joe's x 2. GW once and Fordham. That being said I won't be shocked if we sh&t the bed and don't win another game. I will be surprised, albeit pleasantly, if we end up 9 - 9 in the A10.
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  12. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

Why pleasantly? This program is garbage whether they go 9-9 or 5-13. I hope they lose every single game. The only chance of pleasant is to see DMD boy fired and, hopefully, dumbass AD too.
  13. mhAdmin

mhAdmin Administrator Staff Member

PMP, I’ve issued you a warning. We get it. Many of us feel similarly, but you don’t need to wish ill on the program and use offensive language to disparage individuals. Plus, I am a DMD boy as well and find that comment personally upsetting.
    psyclone likes this.
  14. PoorManProfit

Sorry for calling the beloved AD an “ass”. Donkey ok?

I stand by hoping they lose though. It’s just necessary. You know it as well as I.
  15. mhAdmin

mhAdmin Administrator Staff Member

:bricks:
  16. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-American

LOL.

To hope we lose is the only true way we can see change in our program at this point.

No different than pro teams losing out for the #1 draft pick.
    JPgmuswim and PoorManProfit like this.
  17. PoorManProfit

Yeah man. Leadership at G Mas is non-existent. So a below avg. season will get you more of the same. Need these guys to fail and do it miserably. I can take losing, but ffs give someone else a chance. This current guy is a bona fide loser.
  18. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-American

I think it's better to say Paulsen is "ineffective" or even "ill suited" to coach at this level. He has shown he can win, but just not finding success in a more competitive environment.

And it has ZIP to do witch facilities, etc. His style and his recruits are not compatible in the A10. If we were back in the CAA it would be different.
  19. mkaufman1

Yep- the last two sentences are key. He recruits guys who would be great for the CAA and are fringe A10 guys.
  20. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I suppose the question is, if we were still in the CAA would we have gotten fringe A-10 guys like AJ, Miller, Greene, Otis, etc. or would our recruiting classes look more like Whack, Dixon, Temara, and Abram?

Also, other than constantly beating up on JMU (which I am all for) our record against the CAA isn't all that great.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    GMU1983 likes this.