Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Game 11: GMU (5-5 / 1-3) vs LaSalle (5-6 / 2-2) on Wednesday, January 13, at 7PM.

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Patriotsince81, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

This!
  2. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

here's a big positive.....10-13 from the FT line. gotta keep that up.
  3. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

It is mind boggling that Kolek who I feel is more a traditional off guard, is outplaying Hartwell and XJ to start at the PG position.

Of course XJ is hurt and Hartwell has been fairly non existent so the competition isn't that great, but still tells you something. I have a feeling as the game slows down for Polite he will potentially compete for more of the point guard role, but its obvious that Polite needs some more time to adjust to the speed of the game.

Kolek didn't have the best game yesterday, but in 30 plus minutes he had 4 steals, 6 boards, 3 assists and 5 points. I remember Dave mentioning that when he went to scout Kolek that he didn't score but he did other things to positively impact the game. I really enjoy watching this kid.

Also, as much as Kolek is outplaying for minutes at the PG spot, its nice to have this level of depth at such a critical position.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  4. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

It should be clear that Tyler Kolek is a combo guard who is proficient playing PG or SG -https://www.thehoophustle.com/news_article/show/1014380:

"While his jump shot is undoubtedly at the center of his offensive skillset, Kolek is far from a one-trick pony and just as likely to slip a no-look pass to a slicing teammate as he is to pull-up from 6-feet beyond the arch to bury a dagger in your grill. His improved movement off the ball, better use of angles while working off screens and precision passing in pick-&-roll action makes Kolek an extremely versatile weapon in coach Michael Crotty’s system.

When you throw in an unflappable demeanor, quiet confidence and fiery competitive streak, it’s no surprise that some of the best prospects in the 2020 class gather along the sidelines to watch Kolek go to work every weekend. And he doesn’t just own the respect of his peers. Kolek’s list of college offers have grown alongside his skillset over the last 16 months."
  5. mkaufman1

That's fine, however in my opinion based off how I see him fitting on this team, I see him as more of a pure"2" than a point guard.

Doesn't really matter since I'm not on the coaching staff making decisions.
    tblack33 likes this.
  6. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

100% more of a 2 than a 1. As we've seen with every other player who we've played out of their natural position, just because they can play somewhere, doesn't mean they should.
    PoorManProfit likes this.
  7. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

During the 2005-06 season, Coach L moved Folarin Campbell (a "natural" wing) to the point and Tony Skinn (a "natural" PG) to the wing. How did that work out?

A coach needs to do what is necessary to win!
  8. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Kolek cannot dribble!!!!!!!!!!!
    In 1926 Aunt Jemima switched branding from waffle mix to pancake mix. A delicious confectionary conglomerate needs to do what is necessary to win!
    PoorManProfit likes this.
  9. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Let's again go back to the 2005-06 Final Four season. Tony Skinn primarily brought the ball up the court. And, then passed to Campbell who ran the offense.
  10. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

The only player on our roster who can "dribble" is Tempchin...maybe he should be our point guard?
  11. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

About all XJ can do is dribble and the lasalle game showed he has gotta be badly hurt because he couldn’t dribble at all. Ball looked like it had glue on it
  12. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

Right now Kolek is our best point guard and best two guard. He gives us the best chance to win. Play him for 40 minutes in my book. Give him oxygen and an IV at the half.
    sleeperpick and mkaufman1 like this.
  13. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

That knee has been in a brace all season and now it's probably causing shin problems (which were also wrapped)...I think he needs to be rested the rest of the season.
  14. mkaufman1

I didn't realize Kolek being a PG would cause such a debate, lol.

If Kolek is the best option at PG, thats fine, but also speaks to the issues with the other players. I don't really think thats what he is best suited for.

Whatever, doesn't really matter. Nice to have the options and depth.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

And Hewitt tried to move Jalen to be a stretch 4/3. For every example of a player playing out of their natural position working, there’s probably 4-5 examples of it not.
  16. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

Looking back on the Expat hoops podcast the interview with Vlad talks about L wanting him to essentially play a different style/position than what he was best suited to do. It didn’t work out, he transferred to a school that used him correctly and he flourished.
    gmutom likes this.
  17. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

I don't believe that you understand my point. What I'm saying is that Tyler Kolek is a combo guard who has the skill set to play both the PG and SG positions. If there is a better option at PG, then you play him at SG. If not, play him at PG.

In the case of Jalen and Vlad, they were not combo forwards and were only effective at the PF and SF positions, respectively.
    tblack33 likes this.
  18. Petey Buckets

Petey Buckets Starter

Respectfully, I think everyone understands your point because you keep repeating it. Sometimes moving guys to different roles works and sometimes it doesn't. That it worked with two different guys under a different coach 15 years ago isn't relevant to whether or not it's the best thing for this team.

I was skeptical on Kolek at the point but early returns are pretty decent. I'll happily take the L if this turns into the best thing for the team. I'd prefer him at the 2 but our PG play has been deficient with XJ hurt and whatever's going on with Jamal, so if having Kolek in that role makes him a little less effective but makes everyone else better, we've gotta consider it.
    tblack33, mkaufman1 and sleeperpick like this.
  19. psyclone

psyclone All-American

Over the last 4 games, we're 39-53 from the line (73%). Not terrific perhaps but better than the Div 1 average of 70% and much better than we were in the first half of the season.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  20. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Calixte and Dady haven’t really been at the line much in the last few games (Calixte 0-2 last game). Greene has gotten over his early season yips it seems. Hartwell has been pretty automatic so far when he’s gotten to the line (10-12).

If we ever get into a FT shooting match in a game it should be Hartwell, Kolek, Greene, Miller, and AJ on the floor.