Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Fire Dave Paulsen

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by tblack33, Jan 15, 2020.

1. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Yeah I saw they just got South Carolina.

I don’t think it’s can’t either.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  2. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Honestly I’d rather it being can’t that won’t. Wont means there’s some serious issues with the staffs philosophy.
    Patriotsince81 and sleeperpick like this.
  3. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I have no insight into this, but I’m curious if GW and Richmond are paying more share or something when getting these home and homes. They do have private money so maybe that’s something.

umass did get a home and home with Rutgers, so I’m curious how that worked, amongst other examples.

(no I’m not defending Dave’s scheduling, I still think it sucks so far this upcoming year, just a question)
  4. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

IMO, the primary reasons for a P5 program to schedule a home and home series with GW are recruiting, alumni support, and tourism. While Mason should be attractive for the same reasons, I believe that GW's location provides a slight advantage.
    jessej and DJ3 like this.
  5. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Slight advantage I agree. But we aren’t exactly in the middle of nowhere like William and Mary. We are right off the beltway in one of the most diverse areas of the world where people from a ton of colleges settle down in. Just remember the penn st alumni take over years back. Any school that large would fair the same in fairfax. If paulsen says he’s trying and teams won’t do it then he either sucks at his job or is lying
  6. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

Also playing at Tennessee
  7. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

This has always been a problem for us. Maybe GW is paying more. Since we are cheap, it's likely that could be the difference. That or Coach Christian at GW has better connections than DP. That's a high probability too. Then again our sched isnt complete yet, so we will see.
  8. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Shocking that you would arrive at that conclusion
  9. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

what conclusion can you arrive to Jim, when you said it would almost be impossible for a mid major of our stature to attract a P5 home and home ... and then GW goes out and gets a couple and Richmond gets a couple. We aren't talking Dayton or St Louis or VCU we are talking about programs very similar to ours... The program will go on and get 20 wins (11 that are horrible) and then Paulsen will get a 3 year extension and we get to witness mediocrity until all of the 80 year old donors pass and the money becomes even harder to find. If we have a similar OOC SOS next year Paulsen is a complete failure on the scheduling side or has realized that he can appease our mostly basketball illiterate fanbase and keep being bleh forever
    PoorManProfit likes this.
  10. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

I'll have you know Williamsburg is a great tourist destination. Visitors have been going there since 1607, thank you very much.
  11. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

I’m not drawing any conclusions about our schedule until the entire schedule is announced. So 1950s, I know.
  12. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

Don’t pay fanboy any mind.
    Patriotsince81 likes this.
  13. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

GW has a better program than G Mas.
  14. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Says the non Mason fan who can’t stop posting on our board. What a dipshit.
  15. By George.

By George. Starter

You love the debate, but there’s a thread with a Paulsen interview and some Paulsen praising. Join us!
    DJ3 and sleeperpick like this.
  16. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-Conference

Consider the other side of the coin....

Edwards needs a sh*t ton of home games to parade around Green, Redskins and other celebs he can dig up for the donations to keep flowing.
  17. By George.

By George. Starter

One thing seems clear after the interview, DP will finish out his contract, tell me I’m wrong.
    DJ3 likes this.
  18. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-Conference

He will. Mason is not that school.....we will just plod along till its a dumpster fire..or an outside force (like new AD) makes change happen.
  19. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I doubt Brad will lame duck him because that would make his job much much harder. The other option is extending, and I'm guessing they'd rather roll the dice with another year or two of Dave than a full restart. That of course is pending major changes.
    By George. likes this.
  20. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Depends on what the new president does. Could be a wild card.