Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Fire Dave Paulsen / Hire Tony Skinn

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by tblack33, Jan 15, 2020.

1. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Starter

I also don’t believe Brad and the search committee we hire will go with an assistant coach even if it looks like a no brainer to all of us.
    Give me a young up and coming coach that can relate to the players, is hungry, and can recruit at the A-10 level. I want our next coach to be sought after in the offseasons because he is doing that well. This is not the Mason way, I know.
  2. Bricker

Bricker Starter

Nowhere to go but up. Hard to justify this kind of hire after a successful coach splits, but it should be easy to take a chance given the current situation. Cheap. Zero expectations. Make it happen.

Of course, we're talking about the same place that can't be bothered to even retire the jerseys of its most beloved athletes for no reason other than they don't feel like it. So there's that...
    GMU1983, gmutom, gmujim92 and 4 others like this.
  3. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

I know a lot of people are against hire a retread, but it’s not like a young coaches are a guarantee hit either.

I think Skinn could be a great coach, but has he had enough time to make relationships to establish a quality staff.
    PoorManProfit likes this.
  4. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Brad should be let go too.
    jessej, PoorManProfit and JPgmuswim like this.
  5. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

Right? He’s the loser that hired the loser. All the dopes here that used to refer to him as “Big Balls Brad.” What a joke.
    DJ3 likes this.
  6. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Retreads are more expensive and thus a bigger risk.
    gmujim92 and Bricker like this.
  7. By George.

By George. Starter

Just get the Disney+ package which gives you Hulu and ESPN+. Then you can watch Lil Dickey, Mandalorian and Mason basketball.
    patriot2000 likes this.
  8. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

I actually never thought of that. Good point.
  9. gmutom

gmutom Hall of Famer

And Hamilton. You could buy a 3-year subscription to the Disney+ package compared to the price it would cost to see it in person.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM
  10. JimP

JimP All-American

That's how I saw Hamilton. Thought it was good - didn't think it lived up to the hype though.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    gmutom likes this.
  11. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Hamilton didn’t live up to the hype for me either. I had to use subtitles to understand what they were saying.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

It's a broadway show...part of the hype is being there live, unfortunately. Watch a production of Les Mis on TV...the revolving stage and the battle at the end does not have the same impact on the screen. The Lion King is pretty incredible live too...on TV it's just OK.
  13. JimP

JimP All-American

Good point...attending a Broadway show live is definitely on the bucket list.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  14. JimP

JimP All-American

I'd be a fan of a Huger hire. I thought Radford's Mike Jones was worth considering after Hewitt. 55 now though...been there a while. Guessing he's happy there - he likely has had chances to go elsewhere.
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  15. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Aladdin was pretty good on Broadway too. Loved seeing that. I of course wanted to see Mrs Doubtfire and had tickets in May but this whole pandemic thing got in the way.
    JimP likes this.
  16. mkaufman1

I think as long as Brad follows a competent hiring process, thats all we can ask for. It isn't that easy to hire a coach but its better to seek help than just doing the search yourself.
  17. gmutom

gmutom Hall of Famer

Completely agree. I saw Hamilton in NY when I was up there on business and also at the Kennedy Center with my wife and kids. I will say that it is a show that resonates a lot more when you understand the characters and dialogue. It's impossible to get all of that in one viewing.
    psyclone, gmujim92 and JimP like this.
  18. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Rather than relying on a shady-ass search firm like Parker, which has its own murky financial motivations for recommending certain candidates to universities, I would prefer Brad to organize a committee of internal stakeholders with heavy presence from the players who built the program in the first place.

Ask guys like Lamar, Jai, Will and Folarin for feedback on the characteristics a coach needs to be successful at Mason and give them input into selecting the pool of finalists.

The final decision obviously belongs to Dr. Washington on Edwards’ recommendation, but these guys know better than anyone what it takes to win here. The administration should want to hear what they think.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM
    jessej, GMUgemini, gmubrian and 3 others like this.
  19. mkaufman1

I like the idea. No idea if that is what will happen though. I'd love to join and have .02 on the next staff but highly doubt they'll ask me haha.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  20. tblack33

tblack33 All-Conference

When the time comes I think that some writing inclined folks should put together an open letter to Dr. Washington / Brad and push it around social media.
    sleeperpick likes this.