Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

DC United

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GMUgemini, Dec 20, 2013.

1. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I hope you are joking...

But if you must know, it's a European naming convention (that is way earlier than political correctness), like Manchester United or Leeds United.

But the justification for the name is that it's D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland (the DMV) "united" as one.

One of the biggest differences between soccer teams and other American pro sports teams is that the club and the fans are much more closely aligned, "united," than they are in, say, baseball or basketball or football.
  2. wijg

wijg Moderator Staff Member

It is American convention to name a sports team after a noun of some sort... Since we are in America, you would think we would follow European tradition, especially when it comes to something like being United. Oh yeah, it is not polically correct to follow American tradition, so you just made my point. Thanks!

Yes, it was a joke. But the team name is still uninspiring and awkward sounding regardless of the origin.
  3. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I prefer DC United over the "American" names like L.A. Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, Vancouver Whitecaps, and the god awful New York Red Bulls.

I think being sanctimonious over a name, and what is and isn't "American" is just as bad as being politically correct. If you are a soccer fan the name doesn't sound awkward at all. And as much as people want to dismiss soccer in this country, DC United has been the only bright spot for DC sports over the last 20 years.
  4. wijg

Do you not even realize when you are contradicting yourself?

You are the one that started with the "European convention" crap. When I use the same argument, it is now sanctimonious. You can go back to drooling over the poster of the president that is attached to your bedroom ceiling.
  5. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

It's not an argument. See, I was being descriptive (I gave you an explanation of its tradition and its justification), you are being prescriptive (you reject that description as being "unAmerican"). See the difference? In only one instance is a judgment being made.

So don't support DC United because of its name, because it's unAmerican, because the sport is unAmerican, that's fine by me. But don't try to project your sanctimonious attitudes onto a thread about a sport and a team you don't care about.
  6. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Going with world soccer conventions just seems to fit soccer teams. Just like having an NHL team named San Jose HC would be a bit odd. A lot of these world soccer clubs do have noun nicknames(Man U are the Red Devils for instance).
  7. wijg

How people like you keep double standards straight is pretty impressive, I'll give you that.

I never said it was un-American. You pointed out that it was European convention. I pointed out the American tradition. You are the one that assumed i was somehow insulting europeans or the rest of the world.

I was also pointing out that using an adjective as a noun is just awkward sounding, at best. If you don't see that, oh well.

As for the sport and team you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about... The Washington soccer team plays in America. Soccer fans are always lamenting it not appealing to more Americans. Maybe if the sport tried to cater more towards its audience, it could make greater in roads.

Finally, I think you might have the definition of sanctimonious wrong. It means acting as being morally superior. That is what people who are politically correct are. Since I was making fun of political correctness, that would seem to be the opposite of sanctimonious.

Along those lines, isn't united politically incorrect these days? I propose we change the name to the DC Diverse. Just as awkward as United, and more politically correct. Win-win, right?

OK, I've had my fun, I am done posting in this thread. It is obvious that self loathing soccer fans don't really want diversity in their fan base. I'll stick to basketball.
  8. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Actually, wijg, the rhetoric political correctness is not about moral superiority but rather moral relavatism -- it is the rhetoric of feminism and of inclusivity. The fact that it gets mischaracterized by those who feel they are morally superior is why you are confused. (And just to be sure, inclusive rhetorics get on my nerves too).

Just be honest with yourself about why you came on here and posted a joke about DC United's name. It isn't because you are a fan and you are happy they've clinched first in the East, excited about them hosting a playoff game, about the possibility of hosting a CONCACAF Champion's League semifinal, and possibly hoisting the MLS Cup championship...

You never have been a fan and are never going to be a fan. That's OK, you don't have to like a sport, just don't be a dick about it is all I'm asking.

p.s. United's fan base is already diverse and comes from all over the DMV.
    phoenix-arizona likes this.
  9. wijg

Because you asked me a question I'll reply. Contrary to your know it all assertions, I am a casual fan. As big a fan of them as I am of the Nationals. I like to see them win, but I could go very long periods without catching info on them. I have always disliked the name as it makes little sene. It is too much of a stretch and it is awkward. I was posting it to be funny, but I forgot that US soccer fans can't joke about because of the chip on the shoulder.

But I'll be glad to never pay a moments notice to them or participate in any discussions about them if you are representative of their fans being so thin skinned, self righteous and accusatory.

Don't ask any more accusatory questions and I'll be glad to not interact with you again.
  10. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Gemini is mls your top soccer league ?
  11. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Yes. My brother was actually friends with and played with some of the DC United players from the 1996-1998 iteration. So I've been fans of United since the beginning of the league.

But before MLS, we were both big fans of Ajax and it was my brother's dream to play for them, sadly that dream died when he blew out his knee and he couldn't play at that level anymore.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Who is being thin-skinned. Just drop the "the" and stop thinking of United as the nickname or the mascot and you'll be fine. It's the name of the club: D.C. United. If you want to refer to them as something other than United or DCU, you can call them the black and red.

I think you'll notice Redskins fans being similarly thin-skinned if you dropped a joke about changing their name in one of their forums. It's tradition what can I say?
  13. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Was a good run United ...
  14. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

phoenix-arizona likes this.
  15. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona Starter

Who do you like in MLS Cup?
  16. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

L.A. Unfortunately.
  17. Washingtonian

Washingtonian All-American

18. polepino

polepino Starter

I'm liking the new acquisitions in the offseason, particularly Halsti. Kitchen and Halsti locking down the midfield? Sounds good to me.
  19. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

DC United won the ATX Pro Challenge preseason tournament in Austin over the weekend by beating the third division Austin Aztex and fellow MLS club Dallas FC. Why is this significant? It's not (except for the trophy -- click on the link and you'll see what I mean).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ats-fc-dallas-to-win-atx-pro-challenge-title/

Next up for D.C. is another tune-up (a rematch with Dallas) and then a trip to Costa Rica on Feb. 26 for the first leg of the CONCACAF Champion's League knock out stage against Alajuelense.
    polepino likes this.
  20. Washingtonian

Washingtonian All-American

Won the first game of the season, 1-0 against Montreal.