Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Dave Paulsen

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by GMURaider, Mar 30, 2015.

1. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

This is probably the part that I find most unfortunate about the current state of the program. I was hopeful that having the TBT scrimmage last year would help start to establish some of those relationships with former players. I guess that was not all too fruitful.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  2. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

To be fair, there was a pic of Oduro working out with Will Thomas and Trey Porter posted recently. Will Thomas works out at Mason every year (but this may have to do with only his relationship with Handy).

Also, Darryl Monroe is from Virginia Beach (also a great recruiting area), not the D.C. area. I mean, maybe he has ties to some local area high schools.

Big one for me, though, is it's pretty clear the staff doesn't have a great relationship with Butler, who is sitting on a gold mine of recruits at PVI right now.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    JPgmuswim likes this.
  3. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Darryl Monroe could be in Kalamazoo, the fact that he doesn't feel anything towards our current admin pisses me off

Butler and "great relationship" is not even close... he does not like the Mason staff much at all

We are missing out
  4. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

This is definitely a missed opportunity to have former players more involved. All you have to do is look at homecoming each year. Less and less players showing up. I’d love to see some of our notable basketball alumni more involved with the program, both with the players in the off season/drills (is this against any kind of rules?), and in other aspects.

How cool would it be if instead of a chalk talk from an assistant who doesn’t like public speaking for a meaningless game against American or Navy they brought back one or two alumni basketball players to talk about something for five minutes then hang out and take pictures with donors/interact with fans in the gold/green rooms? I like the chalk talks for league games or bigger non cons but really it’s kind of stupid for the Longwoods of our schedule when it just boils down to “we’re going to be better at basketball than them”.
    gmutom, By George., mkaufman1 and 2 others like this.
  5. sleeperpick

AMAZING idea. Greg Kennedy who is the only person I have faith with left in the program. Please read this
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  6. sleeperpick

Always great to go to Pats home games each year and get to wear former players SB rings and chat with them for a bit. Hell even a decent former women's player might be better than some assistants chalk talks
  7. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Lamar is still salty about Hewitt getting canned. I don’t think he likes Brad much, but I asked him on Twitter and he insisted he has no beef with the current MBB staff.

That said, it is infuriating how lousy a job Mason has done in maintaining the connection with our most successful basketball alumni. Regardless of how badly it ended with Larranaga, it’s inexcusable for those guys to feel anything but welcome in the program they built. They’re a living testimony to recruits what can be accomplished at Mason...
    Walter and sleeperpick like this.
  8. sleeperpick

I am not going to say I am shocked by this post but I am utterly shocked...
  9. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

love this idea. Send greg Kennedy an e-mail with the idea like @sleeperpick said
  10. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Never met him, any idea what his email address is?
  11. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

Greg is a real good guy.
    gkenned1@gmu.edu
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  12. Patriotsince81

13. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Greg is the best, known him for years. Puts up with me and @MasonFanatic and our snide comments lol. He’s essentially what Max was for the patriot club.
  14. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Herndon likes this.
  15. Patriotsince81

I just don't see Dave sitting around thinking up new plays "every single day." If that was true I would venture to guess that we would have something more creative offensively, defensively, and especially from an inbounds play point of view. I like him more when he closes his mouth. As expected he blamed last year on injuries. Broken record. Nothing new there. We are not yet an "elite" defensive team? Thanks Captain Obvious, I mean Dave. 39 - 51 in A10 play gets him little confidence from me. Wow, I need to have a few beers. I shouldn't be this down before the season even starts, or doesn't start.
    sleeperpick and tblack33 like this.
  16. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

The plays part cracked me up. I can probably count the number of set plays we've ran in the last 4 years on one hand. I don't need hands to count our inbounds plays.
    sleeperpick and Patriotsince81 like this.
  17. Patriotsince81

I have one finger I can give Dave for his inbounds plays.
    sleeperpick and The Great PATSby like this.
  18. The Great PATSby

The Great PATSby Starter

lol... I'll still take lobbing the ball at the top of the key over Hewitt's 4 second then call time out inbound plays. He needs to utilize AJ's athleticism. I want a see a minimum of 2 alley oop attempts a game.
    Patriotsince81 and tblack33 like this.
  19. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Make Mason Basketball Exciting Again
    sleeperpick likes this.
  20. sleeperpick

Paulsen hates ally oops so good luck with that. Sat Kier and AJ 5 mins each after a failed attempt last year and kicked the scorers table lol. "Bring 1940's basketball back again" is more like our slogan
    Patriotsince81 likes this.