Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Dave Paulsen

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by GMURaider, Mar 30, 2015.

1. patriot2000

patriot2000 Starter

That wasnt the only one I noticed, and I'm definitely not calling anyone out specifically. I just thought it was a really interesting read.

One positive takeaway is that the vsst majority of posters were pretty reasonable and said they would "wait and see." Those of us (I hope myself included) who think we have probably waited long enough, have hopefully been fairly level-headed through this whole "process" and mostly started out that way.
  2. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

Oh I definitely flipped sides over the last two years. In my defense, Paulsen took us from horrendous to a ceiling of 5th place. The first couple years were an improvement, but then he topped out.

So now, here we are. I respect anyone willing to change their opinion given new information.
    patriot2000 likes this.
  3. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

"Also, can anyone honestly say that they think Dave Paulsen will ever be an upper-echelon A-10 coach?

No offense to Paulsen. If he is the new coach, I'll give him a chance like everyone else, but this does feel like a CAA hire.

May as well make a run at Bill Coen if we're going in that direction."
    gmujim92, Mar 30, 2015

"I have no idea what the talent level is on the current GMU roster, but rest assured, if Paulsen is hired, he will bring in good players, develop them and have a team that will be at the top of the A10 in a few years."
    ephoops, Mar 30, 2015

"Bucknell fans don't seem to care if he stays or goes.

Interesting comment:

'Find this a stretch. Paulsen has a number of strong assets, in particular strong recruiter in academic environment. Not known for being flexible in his offensive and defensive schemes. George Mason a different environment.'

They seem to be high on one of his assistants."

http://boards.basketball-u.com/show..._session_id/794a55db759e998896ea177c08dfe1a9/
    Walter, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    sleeperpick likes this.
  4. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

http://gmufourthestate.com/2020/02/...lk-on-jack-tempchin-awarded-full-scholarship/:

"When the team found themselves with an extra scholarship spot, Paulsen knew there was one student-athlete he had to give it to.

'Nobody is more deserving and sometimes you can’t always do that … But we had one and a) he’s deserving of it and b) he’s a galvanizing force on our team,' he said.

No one except Paulsen, who got the idea for the scholarship reveal while on a run, and the team’s director of basketball operations knew what would be happening at shootaround that day.

'That was a genuine, heartfelt [reaction], they love the kid and respect him,' Paulsen said.

'I think you want to be in a situation where nothing’s given, nothing’s promised. Everything’s earned, but once somebody earns something, they get the recognition,' he continued. "
  5. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Starter

Would someone post a link to the video to the Jack Tempchin thread?
    I would, but I don't know where to find it.
  6. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Starter

OK. Many of you have asked for it for a long time and now you got it. During the press conference following the GW game, Coach Dave took responsibility for the team's lack of energy and focus. He also stated that it will be addressed and it will NOT occur again.
    https://ebay.to/2SgZ50U

[Note: I think Coach Dave's lamentation was in direct response to
    a question posed by, I think, GK. • KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, BOYS!!]
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 10:36 AM
    By George., tblack33 and patriot2000 like this.
  7. gmutom

gmutom Hall of Famer

He mentioned certain players not playing with energy without naming names, but I will say I saw him jawing pretty good at one particular player after he pulled him from the game. With a 7-man rotation, we need all hands on deck — especially the upperclassmen.
  8. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

I appreciate the sentiment from a few things he said in this interview and will be interested to see if it translates on the court.
  9. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...eeps-george-mason-notching-another-73-67-win/:

"Johnson attributed the poor second half to a 'lack of focus and energy. We had a good first half, but we just came out with a lack of effort in the second half.'"

"'We’ve prided our program on, whether you play well or don’t play well, you play with an edge, you play with toughness, you play with emotion,' Paulsen said. Not showing those traits 'won’t happen again. It will be addressed.'"
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 9:28 PM