Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Coronavirus Pandemic Impacts

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Pablo, May 13, 2020.

1. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Man a selection committee with a good sense of humor could make some epic matchups that would absolutely never happen otherwise.
  2. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-team-ncaa-college-basketball-tournament-work:

"After a good night's sleep, perhaps the current ACC head coaches will come to a similar conclusion. Because their idea to conduct an all-inclusive NCAA tournament in 2021, however well-intentioned (color me skeptical), is going to crash against the rocks.

Don't believe me? Consider:

• There are 346 Division I schools eligible for NCAA tourney play this coming season. That is 324 more teams than the NBA sent to its Orlando bubble. Conservatively estimating each school's travel party at 25, we're going to repeatedly test and quarantine more than 8,000 people? Just so half of them can lose and go home after 40 minutes of basketball? I don't think so.

• The bracket itself, while amusing, would tax even the best of us. The basic math dictates that 166 teams receive opening round byes. The remaining 180 would play 90 additional games to create a symmetrical field of 256 teams, followed by a tidy eight-round gauntlet through the Final Four.

• All told, we're increasing the number of games -- with commensurate travel and risk -- from 67 to 345. That's a fivefold increase and, while epidemiology is not my "ology," I do know that infectious disease transmission is not arithmetic. We would be looking at way, way, WAY more than five times the amount of exposure.
    All of this so that Chicago State, which has averaged four wins per season over the past five years, can be part of a "celebration of the game?" No disrespect to the Cougars, but that makes about as much sense as putting the expansion, winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 1976 NFL playoffs.

The NCAA tournament isn't an exhibition. It isn't charity. It is an earned opportunity to compete for a national championship.

If the ACC coaches were really interested in celebrating the sport, they would play a road game at UNC Greensboro or Furman. In the meantime, I remained unconvinced this isn't a self-serving ploy to avoid nonconference games and/or get every ACC team into the NCAA tourney.

But I'll get started on a bracket just in case ..."
    gmutom likes this.
  3. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Brett McMurphy
    @Brett_McMurphy

·
    6h

Oklahoma State's athletic department eliminated 10 positions & won’t fill 9 others. 66 employees will be furloughed, another 151 will have salaries reduced up b/w 2.5% & 25%. Every head coach & AD Mike Holder also took voluntary pay cuts. These moves will save OSU $13 million
  4. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    28m

Have heard a lot of talk over the last 24 hours that non-conference play is going to be imperfect and obsolete. This is why we must all watch closely at the leadership of each conference over the next 2-3 weeks. Pivotal!

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    35m

The ACC's proposal on Wednesday was well intentioned and in good faith. But competing in the NCAA Tournament --- under any circumstances --- is a privilege, not a right. Onward and upward!

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    48m

The NCAA is NOT looking to expand the NCAA Tournament as the ACC proposed --- or in any way --- in 2021, per Dan Gavitt.
    Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Andy Katz
    @TheAndyKatz
    · 55m
    Statement from @NCAA SVP Dan Gavitt on the @accmbb proposal for an all eligible Division I 2021 @marchmadness:

[​IMG]
    Patriotsince81 likes this.
  5. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://nabc.com/documents/2020/9-8-20_Blanket_Waiver.pdf:

NCAA Division I men’s and women’s basketball programs may permit up to two Division I men’s and women’s basketball-specific noncoaching staff members to engage in managerial duties during on-court activities (e.g., rebound, pass, assist with drills) provided the noncoaching staff position existed as of September 7, 2020, and the institution has prohibited some or all student managers from attending practice or other countable athletically related activities due to the health and safety impact of COVID-19. The noncoaching staff member(s) designated to perform such on-court managerial duties must be designated by the institution and kept on file in the athletics department. The basketball-specific noncoaching staff members are only permitted to perform these managerial duties until the conclusion of an institution’s 2020-21 playing season or when the institution permits all student managers to attend practice or other countable athletically related activities, whichever is earlier.

Additionally, in women’s basketball, up to two basketball-specific noncoaching staff members permitted to engage in managerial duties during the 2020-21 playing season may also serve as practice players. For institutions still utilizing student managers, those student managers may also serve as practice players during the 2020-21 playing season. In both instances, the practice player duties may be performed by basketball-specific noncoaching staff members and student managers until the conclusion of the institution’s 2020-21 playing season or when the institution permits practice players to attend practice, whichever is earlier.
  6. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

A10 Talk

@A10Talk

·
    11h

Here’s how the A10 would be seeded and matched up in 2020 if the NCAA tournament included all 353 teams. (seeded according to Ken Pom)

[​IMG]
  7. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

if we are taking this years rosters I would call an A10 sweep in the first round
  8. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Tell me you old CAA nerds wouldn't have creamed your pants over playing Delaware in a single elimination first round.
  9. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index...considering-20-game-league-schedule-in-20-21/:

"The American Athletic Conference is considering going to a 20-game, double round-robin league schedule during the 20-21 college basketball season, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation.

The conference currently plays an 18-game league schedule and a true double round-robin format now makes more sense for the league since it has 11 total teams instead of 12 following UConn’s departure to the Big East.

While nothing has been officially decided or proposed, the idea has gained momentum during the past few days, according to multiple sources due to the scheduling issues created by COVID-19."
  10. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

No way you make the top seeds play that many games.
  11. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    17m

Source: As college basketball anticipates an official NCAA announcement next week of an 11/25 start, many key decision makers expect games initially scheduled between 11/10 and 11/24 to dissolve or be rescheduled due to "force majeure" related to COVID-19.
  12. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

Sources: Several conference executives have informed programs in their respective leagues that they should plan on playing up to EIGHT non-conference games following the NCAA's expected start date announcement next week.
    5:10 PM · Sep 10, 2020
  13. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Brett McMurphy
    @Brett_McMurphy

·
    3h

Washington’s athletic department is eliminating 16 positions & requiring additional 35 staff members take furlough. In June, the school had department-wide furloughs for 156 professional & classified union staff, as well as voluntary salary reductions for all contract staff

[​IMG]

Brett McMurphy
    @Brett_McMurphy

·
    3h

Minnesota is eliminating men’s indoor & outdoor track & field, men's gymnastics & men’s tennis at the completion of their 2020-21 competition season
  14. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Delaware? No. JMU or UNCW? Yes.
  15. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ent-trump-remarks-big-ten-play-cheap-politics:

"The Big Ten's return to competition task force has been working on improved testing and other medical benchmarks that, if reached, could kick off the football season. Ohio State coach Ryan Day and others are pushing a return as early as mid-October. According to Big Ten bylaws, at least nine of the 14 presidents and chancellors would need to vote to approve the resumption of competition. A vote could take place early next week, sources said."
  16. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm with you. Honestly, I don't want to see a Mason/Delaware matchup. I watched Udel play last year and I was pretty impressed with how they spaced, the shooters they have etc. Ingelsby is on his way up and will bounce once Delaware makes the NCAAs.
  17. Five Two

Five Two All-American

According to Elias Sports, yesterday was the first time in history that MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA, MLS and WNBA had games on the same day
    jessej likes this.
  18. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

Dan Gavitt adds that the NCAA is tracking and planning towards having an NCAA Tournament in 2021 with 68 teams and all 14 planned sites. Contingency plans are obviously in place.
    Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · 1h
    More: Dan Gavitt also told @dandakich and @SethOnHoops that if there's an unequal number of games or a conference tournament can't be played, conferences will have the flexibility to name their league regular season champion as their automatic qualifier for the NCAA Tournament.
    10:20 AM · Sep 11, 2020

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    1h

Dan Gavitt also tells @dandakich and @SethOnHoopsthat the current minimum number of games for a college basketball program in is 25, but there will likely be a recommendation to reduce that number by maybe as much as 50% --- to 13 games --- due to COVID-19.
    Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · 2h
    Dan Gavitt tells @dandakich and @SethOnHoops that the NCAA will set a start date for college basketball. Once that is determined, it's up to conferences and institutions when games will begin.
  19. psyclone

psyclone All-American

20. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    3h

Sources: Several conferences in college basketball are planning important calls and meetings for next Thursday following the Division 1 Council's Wednesday decision on a start date. The season is happening!

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    3h

Source: Improved testing models are expected to be a major topic of discussion when the Division 1 Council decides on an official a start date for the 20-21 season next Wednesday. Something to monitor when planning for the "Golden Window".
    Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · 3h
    Sources: The improved testing protocols implemented the past few weeks by both the Pac-12 and the Big 12 have increased the optimism amongst key decision makers regarding a successful late November start for college basketball.