Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Coronavirus Pandemic Impacts

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Pablo, May 13, 2020.

1. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...proves-10-game-conference-only-slate-football:

"The Pac-12 on Friday approved a 10-game, conference-only fall schedule for football to begin on Sept. 26, with 'a lot of built in flexibility,' the conference announced on Friday.

Each team will play five home and five road games, and the Pac-12 championship will now be played Dec. 18 or 19. The conference title game will be held in a home-hosted model for 2020, with the Pac-12 and partners Allegiant Stadium and the Raiders, Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority (LVCVA) and MGM Resorts International agreeing to begin hosting of the Championship Game at Allegiant Stadium in 2021 for its two-year run in Las Vegas."

"Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott conceded it 'may not be possible' to play even a 10-game schedule by Dec. 19 -- or the spring might be needed to finish it.

'The same thing may happen in other markets,' he said. '... We recognize that the best-laid plans may not come to fruition, whether being able to start on the 26th, play a complement of a minimum number of games we feel would be required for a College Football Playoff, and we may start but not be able to finish, and then we will have to adjust. We'll have to adjust with a spring piece, either to finish or to start, maybe delay dates for a playoff if it's still possible. There are many, many scenarios still on the table, but we felt it's critical at this point to be able to give some clarity in our plan.'

When asked on Friday what his confidence level in this season is, Scott answered, 'I don't know.' As Major League Baseball continues to struggle with schedule-halting outbreaks, Scott said he is expecting the same this fall in college football."
  2. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

3. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-American

tblack33 likes this.
  4. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-Conference

ASU starts its season against Arizona instead of ending the regular season with the Territorial Cup. Same with Oregon and Oregon State and the Civil War---no longer the last game on their schedules.
  5. Walter

Walter All-American

I love this. I hope other schools do this. It would be a shame if some of these historical rivalries don't get played. Iron Bowl in September would be awesome.
  6. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Brett McMurphy
    @Brett_McMurphy

·
    40m

Ohio State had hoped for 20 percent capacity
    Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Marcus Hartman

@marcushartman
    · 3h
    Ohio Dept. of Health press secretary confirmed Aug. 1 order prohibits spectators at contact sports game. That includes Ohio State, Bengals, Browns. Remains in effect until state of emergency declared by Gov. no longer exists or ODH rescinds/modifies order
  7. Walter

Walter All-American

UConn cancels football season due to Covid-19. I wonder what excuse they will use next year?
    jessej likes this.
  8. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

What happens on the NCAA level if basketball gets canceled? Does the NCAA grant another year of eligibility? Do they up the scholarship limit for teams for one year?

How about at Mason, do we think our seniors would hang around for another season, two of whom are red shirt seniors? Do recruits reopen recruitment because roster makeups/playing time look different?

Understand this is completely uncharted territory for a major sport (I don’t consider any of the spring sports major in college athletics, even baseball).
    jessej likes this.
  9. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-Conference

I have wondered about this in particular. I can't imagine AJ and Ian sticking around for another year. If I was them I would move on with life and pursue a career or basketball on the next level. I don't see either as NBA prospects but both could have long careers elsewhere. Will Javon stick around? I can see that happening depending on his relationship with DP which seemed strained to me.
    jessej likes this.
  10. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

I can't see it. AJ is about to get PAID somewhere. Ian might not have a future after college in basketball so who knows if he wants to get a full masters from Mason on their dime (I probably would). Javon can definitely go play somewhere in Europe and make some money too. Who knows with Greg honestly.
    jessej likes this.
  11. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

Several schools may not be in the financial position grant another scholarship year, even if the NCAA does.
    jessej likes this.
  12. Walter

Walter All-American

I could see Covid-19 becoming the impetus for college administrations to finally change the number sports they offer, the conferences they play in, and even the level the play. If ever there was a time for the mess that is college athletics to become more rational it is now. I know, I know there are contracts binding schools to conferences, but the mess that is CUSA and SunBelt needs to get fixed. The A10 could use some work too. Maybe Fordham realizes that they are not the best fit. Maybe the SoCon and the Ohio Valley can do some private/public trading. Maybe the MAC will throw in the towel on FBS.
    jessej likes this.
  13. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Brett McMurphy
    @Brett_McMurphy

·
    14m

UConn coach Randy Edsall on canceling season: “If I was in a Power 5 or Group of 5 conference I'd be saying the same thing. I’d be doing the same thing. Because these young men’s lives are more important than money."

[​IMG]

Brett McMurphy
    @Brett_McMurphy

·
    47m

NCAA Division III fall sports championships are canceled
  14. Patriot8

Patriot8 Starter

If UConn was in a Power 5 conference with TV money coming in (and if they hadn't lost over half of their schedule) they would absolutely not be saying the "same thing". This move was 100% about saving money, because they sure weren't going to make any.
    jessej, Five Two and dr. gunnie like this.
  15. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

16. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops

·
    4h

The Bubble is expensive, but it works. …
    Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Marc Stein
    @TheSteinLine
    · 5h
    Testing update from the NBA: Of the 343 players tested daily since the league last announced results on July 29 ... zero confirmed positive tests

[​IMG]
  17. KAOriginal

KAOriginal All-Conference

I tell my 15 yo what it was like pre 911...go to an airport...paper tickets, no IDs, non flyers at gates. He's astonished.

Certain events create necessary and long lasting change.

I cannot imagine college athletics, budgets, etc being any different. Even for big schools. My guess the sports business is going to change.
    jessej likes this.
  18. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

There is a real danger that our (and others) Olympic sports are going to be negatively impacted by all of these cuts in sports. Lots of schools cutting swimming and diving, track and field, and other Olympic sports (I'm sure rowing is another) that feed that system.

The first example is pretty rough...Akron cut cross country four years after hosting a cross country alum who won the gold medal in the 800 meter.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/06/11/college-sports-program-cuts-ncaa-olympics
  19. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Now that UConn joined the Big East, they should cut bait on football and just dominate in basketball. There is no reason to keep that program around unless they think they're going to dangle it to get into the next round of BCS reshuffling.
    jessej likes this.
  20. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer