Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Car Thread........

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pikapppatri8, May 8, 2017.

1. Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8 Hall of Famer

OK so we bust eachother over the head on the politics thread and we get into some tedious topics so I thought we could use some topics on key issues guys might be interested in.

CARS. And first discussion point ----- Anticpated Mid Engine Corvette.

Apparently there has been a lot of R&D and testing on this platform and Chevrolet has shut down tours of the Corvette factory as it undergoes and expansion and tooling for the new mid-engine model currently named C8 Emperor.

Link ==> http://nseavoice.com/cars/mid-engine-corvette-more-signs-pointing-to-2017-release-920023699.html

Thoughts?

Personally I am very interested in what they could do with a mid-engine layout. The current model is very well balanced and provides outstanding performance and technology for the price. Like the C7 the C8 would include a carbon fiber main chassis frame and a heavily retooled version of Chevy's outstanding small block V8.

However, some consider this a betrayal of the traditional Corvette concept much like Porsche afficianados decried the 944 and 928 who were front engine models.

Thougths?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. mason89

mason89 Sixth Man

I like the design, but not as a Corvette. It loses the long sleekness that the traditional Vette has had. Why not just call the design by another name?!
  3. Pikapppatri8

Well there are rumors this will also could be a Cadillac model. However, what GM is doing is setting up the Corvette brand as a stand alone brand (much like Porsche is at Volkswagen - yes VW is the owner and parent company of Porsche).

Lutz and one other guy I cannot recall --- wanted to make Corvette stand on its own as THE GM sports car brand. Hence the unique supply chain and stamping and assembly facilities. Both models will be sold side by side.

My speculation - and this is just Pikapp day dreaming while looking out the window of my office ---- is that they have historically positioned the Corvette as the affordable high performance sports car. Making a mid-engine model positions the Corvette brand as the affordable exotic sports car.

From an engineering perspective -- the Chevy Small Block V8 (which is a gem of engineering with VVT and the perfect balance of torque and HP) would be fantastic in a mid-engine platform. Industry rumors are that it will include quad overhead cams and eventually an integrated supercharger at 550-650 horsepower.

If they price this right - GM will make a killing. Especially if they put their patented magnetically controlled suspension.

Jeans getting tight just thinking about it.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Conference

I read somewhere that the small block will not be used in the mid-engine Vette. Which will mean it will likely be phased out for the traditional vette.
  5. Pikapppatri8

That would suck - that engine is a marvel - the amount of torwue and HP they can get out of that with still solid fuel economy is rediculous.

I think that they may modify that engine with a new header to include 4 overhead cams and add a dry sump system. The weight benefits of that engine are tremendous. If they don't use that engine - what will they use?
  6. Walter

Walter All-Conference

7. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

So, coming from possibly one the longest time fans of the Corvette on these boards and a long term owner (over 20 years now), I think changing the existing Corvette to a mid engine would be a mistake, and really unnecessary. With the near perfect 50/50 balance it already has, it isn't needed for balance. Many mid engine, powerful cars have turned out to be nearly un-drivable at times. I believe the original NSX had some of these issues. The lower weight overall and possible shortening might make some improvements, but not enough to compensate for the fans you risk losing.

Now, if it is to bring out a new model sports car, possibly even a separate sports car brand that includes the Corvette, I think that is a good idea.
  8. Pikapppatri8

The mid-engine would not replace the current Corvette - it would a different line of Corvettes - like with Porsche
  9. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

Love that you brought up a topic that I am passionate about (in a positive way)...

I would hope the supercharged version would be well above the 550 number. My ZL1 with the pushrod version of the engine is just shy of 600. The brand new ZL1s are already at 640. So it better be closer to the 650 number, or higher if they are going with the valve/head/cam improvements.
  10. Pikapppatri8

Brian I am always positive ---- just like you. :)

I think it will be at the higher end of the HP band. I just hope it has at least 7 speeds on the transmission.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Conference

Sorry to turn a positive thread negative but . . .

Am I the only one that has not warmed up to the latest Mustang? The styling isn't an improvement over the last one. I get that it handles better but I think Ford missed on the styling.
  12. Pikapppatri8

I actually like the exterior design - its less bulky and has more subtly curves. I will say I like the rear better thant the front. However, its not attrocious.

I think they missed the bar on the interior. It could have been more high end. The werewolf engine is great though.
  13. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

I am in agreement with you, but I am biased as a lifelong Camaro lover (I have owned a Camaro ever since I have had a license)
  14. Walter

Walter All-Conference

I traditionally have preferred the Mustang, but I think GM has done a much better job designing the Camaro.
    Pikapppatri8 likes this.
  15. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

Yeah, in the retro rod category, Chrysler and Chevy have blown Ford out of the water with their designs.
  16. Pikapppatri8

I love how Dodge just decided to go balls to the walls on HP with cars like the HellCat. 750HP === yeah that's our baseline.

The only problem is --- most people do not have the driving skills to handle such cars.
  17. Walter

Walter All-Conference

18. Pikapppatri8

19. Walter

Walter All-Conference

20. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Ford should drop the base Mustang and focus on the higher-end performance versions and forget about "volume" sales.

Night and day between the V6 base model and the V8 GT versions.

Full disclosure: my first car was a half-way restored 1966 Ford Mustang I bought off a guy for $1,500.
    mason89 likes this.