Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Are we fading away like UMass did after their Final 4?

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by JDK, May 5, 2020.

1. PoorManProfit

PoorManProfit All-Conference

I didn't say superior fanboy. I said better. Which, in this case, ain't saying shit.
    DJ3 likes this.
  2. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Ok dope
  3. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Yet they still finished with a better Net ranking.
    PoorManProfit likes this.
  4. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Look back over the last 20 years and get back to me. One or two years doesn’t make a program.
  5. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

and Towson's best player goes to Rhode Island.... Jollay you are a shaman...
  6. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Duquesne snags Mounir Hima... a 6 foot 11 center with offers from Rhode Island, VCU and Bona....
  7. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-American

Towson's program may not have passed us, but I know Paulsen has failed to recruit anyone like Bertrand yet, a 6'5" 2/3 who shoots 38% from three...hopefully that changes this year with our frosh.

Good get for Rhodey.
    DJ3 and sleeperpick like this.
  8. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

How quickly people forget Jaire Grayer. SMH.
  9. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

I didn't forget him, he just played 3/4 for an undersized team and wasn't a two guard.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  10. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

some people think a 6 foot 5 kid playing the four that can shoot and a 6 foot 5 kid playing the 2 and 3 that can shoot are the same thing
    DJ3 likes this.
  11. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Ok so what you’re saying is Paulsen actually has recruited a 6-5 ace 3-point shooting wing. Whether he had to play up a spot for us at times is beside the point.

Again there’s enough to criticize about the coach’s actual performance without needing to make shit up.
  12. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Jaire was a wing coming out of HS but you already know that
  13. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

I don't get why this is confusing you. A 2 guard that is 6 foot 5 and a deadly shooter has never been successfully recruited AND utilized at George Mason University during Paulsen's tenure. Paulsen recruited a 2-3 (Jaire) and turned him into a tiny 3-4 and that is the closest we have been to accomplishing it. How in any part of the above you could disagree with really confuses me. Jollay didn't say anything false in any of his statements but you choose to disagree.. it is confusing Jim. Jaire was also listed as a 2 in every recruiting site I have checked other than the one in your head
    DJ3 likes this.
  14. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

The whole point is we need an A-10 sized SG/2 who can shoot. Grayer almost never played the 2.

Also, even if you grant that he did deliver Grayer, he still hasn't delivered nearly enough perimeter shooting.

That's not in a vacuum, that is also tied into his inability thus far to recruit A-10 caliber big men as well. And yes, it does negate Grayer being a good-sized wing when you have to play him at the four along side Livingston, Boyd, and Kier.

Without scoring big men it allows defenses to play the perimeter more, and thus, hinder outside shooting more.
    Petey Buckets and sleeperpick like this.
  15. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

And let's also not pretend Grayer was THAT good a 3-point shooter, he shot 38% from three one year...

And would he even get that shot off as much if bigger fours weren't guarding him? Could he do it as a starting 2/3?

I mean 36% at TCU from three is certainly not bad, though.
    DJ3 and sleeperpick like this.
  16. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

I know you like to make stuff up to support your arguments, but Jollay’s original post claimed Paulsen “has failed to recruit anyone like Bertrand yet.” It said nothing about how Grayer was utilized.

It also ignores the fact that Paulsen also signed Boyd, who is a whole one inch shorter than Bertrand and was shooting over 40% from 3 before he screwed up his wrist.

Not sure what you are so confused about.
  17. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Come on, Boyd is a career 30% three guy.

Dude you were yourself psyched about JDS exactly because we've clearly needed anyone who can shoot for what seems like forever now.

You can never have enough shooting, we just simply haven't had enough of it under Paulsen.

Hopeful Kolek helps change that.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  18. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Nobody is arguing that we’ve had enough 3-point shooting. We clearly haven’t. Guess I’m just missing the boat on Allen Effing Bertrand as the second coming of JJ Redick.
  19. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

You could honestly claim I guess we've recruited a decent amount of shooting, though a little undersized, its just been hindered by having very little inside offense to open it up.

Honestly, would Lamar Butler have averaged 39% without Lewis/Thomas? Especially in the A-10? Probably no way...
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    sleeperpick and Walter like this.
  20. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Dayton wanted him.
    sleeperpick likes this.