Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

News Adidas New Outfitter of George Mason Athletics

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Robot, May 21, 2015.

1. Herndon

Herndon Starter

I know this fight is lost, but Georgetown reminds me again how much I'd prefer a really intimate 5k seat gym that is packed to the Patriot center
    DJ3 and Joe Shannon like this.
  2. Vurbel

Vurbel Hall of Famer

3. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

4. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 Starter

I'd like something in Richmond's ballpark but with how big the school is it just isn't happening. At this point the best to hope for is the team gets really good and we pack EBA.
    gmujim92 and JPgmuswim like this.
  5. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

The law of averages says our fan base has to stop sucking ass at some point.
    Patriotsince81 likes this.
  6. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 Starter

I wish I could agree but history says the opposite. Our BEST average was about 6,800, if memory serves me correctly. Students, in general, are apathetic to say the least. Alums, at least near me in 115, complain about fans cheering and the noise. I'm afraid we are doomed in a 10,000 seat arena. Would love to build a new one with 6,500 capacity. We might have a chance of packing the house then. Sigh.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  7. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 Starter

I HATE VCU and all the others you mentioned. It always seems like half the damn crowd is the great unwashed from Richmond, Madison, and Ol Dirty U. UVA fans just sit quietly in their sweaters tied around their necks. Oops, wrong thread?
    sleeperpick and Vurbel like this.
  8. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

And it would more energetic. Less is more.
    Vurbel likes this.
  9. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

I think 7,500 with suites would be perfect.
    The Great PATSby likes this.
  10. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Sixth Man

Isn't that roughly what U of R did when they renovated their arena? It looks beautiful, I thought I read somewhere their renovation removed about 1,800 seats.
    gmujim92 likes this.
  11. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 Starter

Winning solves all. We haven't been good since we moved into the A10. If we're consistently going to the NCAAs we'll average a decent amount. Sure, some teams don't draw excitement like Duquesne or La Salle, but we'll get a lot more locals with no connection if we get better and put a product on the floor.
    JPgmuswim likes this.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Tell me that again the next time we have a sellout game.
  13. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Yeah, but we didn't have any kind of real history of success during and just after the Final Four season, so it's tough to really blame the community for not supporting the team more. You know, if we had done with Gonzaga, or VCU, or Wichita State, or Butler did after our big run, one wonders what those numbers would look like today.
  14. couchcoach

couchcoach Sixth Man

lol go ahead
  15. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Hall of Famer

That may happen with VCU coming into Fairfax on a Saturday and the students being back on campus.
  16. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Not quite a sellout, but 9,300 came to see Northeastern, which finished 11-20 that year, play at the Patriot Center in the 2010-2011 season.
  17. MasonSAE4

MasonSAE4 Starter

In this area I think we'll always have a decent away fan presence. Too many alum of other schools here for work.

Aside from VCU. Cause, you know, unemployment.
    Walter likes this.
  18. The Great PATSby

The Great PATSby Starter

HEY! They're not unemployed! They're freelance artists!
  19. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

We were a top 25 team with the longest winning streak in the country at the time and soldout the last three home games of that season. So, yes, it was an anomaly, but success brought the community out to see a good team. They will do it again.
    JPgmuswim likes this.
  20. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

No, but if we're a top 6 team in the A-10 consistently, it means a lot more than being top 6 in the CAA. The year we joined the A-10 there were several top 25 teams we played just in the conference alone, with 6 teams making the NCAA tournament.

The point being we should be thinking about our potential future and not our past.