Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2020-2021 Schedule Thread

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Five Two, Dec 5, 2019.

1. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Starter

Does that mean we may have to wait a week less to rid ourselves of DP?
    gmubrian and tblack33 like this.
  2. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Can someone explain to me why anyone wants to play a meaningless game between March 6th and the 14th (at least that's how I'm reading that schedule flexibility)?

We also play SLU the day before the tournament begins, so assuming they have a PIG and we are in it, our chances of winning that game go down after having had our butts handed to us by a big and physical SLU team.
  3. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I don’t think there will be meaningless games. I think it’s probably for covid protocol. I believe the slu game will be cancelled and the teams will probably leave once they are eliminated.
  4. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

We actually have a better chance of avoiding the PIG by playing fewer games. Not that it really matters either way...
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  5. mkaufman1

yep. At vcu, home to Davidson and at gw. Although they could lose all 3 and not help their chances.
  6. JimP

JimP All-American

If I understand correctly, there won't be any games for A-10 teams between March 6th and the 14th.
  7. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

True, unless the A10 tourney schedule is adjusted due to any unforeseen COVID-19 interruption.
    JimP and sleeperpick like this.
  8. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

The A10 is a joke. It’s just another mid-major at this point. Irrelevant
  9. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

When was it NOT a mid-major conference? It's a multi-bid mid-major conference, always has been.

Maybe the split of the Big East into the Big East and AAC hurt their conference ranking...the strengthening of the WCC outside of Gonzaga has also not helped. But the A10's overall situation has not changed on bit.

I mean, we had a team ranked in the top 10 for most of last season, and this season we've had two separate teams ranked in the top 25, so it's not like the A-10 is the MAC or NEC or something.
  10. mkaufman1

I am not sure I follow. The league has a chance to get 2-3 teams in the NCAA tournament and has several teams ranked in the top 100. It always borders on the mid major/BCS level.

If you are just frustrated with Covid and everything else, then I hear you. Hopefully brighter days ahead for the conference and this scheduling fiasco never happens again in our lifetimes.
  11. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

Agreed, the A10 just isn't getting it done. Mason should move to the SEC, ACC or Big 10. o_O
    Patriotsince81 likes this.
  12. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Naw...we COULD talk about how now that Duquesne is starting to take basketball seriously again, if Mason got its act together, we could jump over the AAC with a pretty nice top 6 or 7 programs.
  13. gmubrian

gmubrian Starter

I think your sarcasm detector is broken. I mean, I even put the smiley in it. Plus, it was a reply to ACW, I mean DJ3.
    Patriotsince81 likes this.
  14. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

That was probably more in response to my own sarcastic post I deleted before hitting send than yours really. So yeah, sorry for not showing my work.
    gmubrian likes this.
  15. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

In 2013 the A10
    Maybe it was just my view. But I used to view the A10 as the 6th best basketball conference. Just outside the p5. Heck in 2013, 6 teams made the NCAA tourney. I was ecstatic when Mason joined.

Now the A10 is canceling games, and I’m just frustrated.
    mkaufman1 likes this.
  16. mkaufman1

We hear you man. Frustrating times.
    DJ3 likes this.
  17. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Better than the Big East? The A10 is fairly consistently the 7th or 8th ranked conference with a few anomaly years dipping below that. They are currently ranked 9th, but that's mostly because the top of the WCC (Gonzaga NET 1, BYU 25) and AAC (Houston 8) is so high, the A10 is a deeper conference than either of those this year (7 teams in the t0p 100, 3 in the top 50).
  18. DJ3

DJ3 All-American

Good points.
    I used to love Big East basketball. Arguably the best basketball conference before the realignment. Times have changed.
    Bricker and mkaufman1 like this.
  19. mkaufman1

those tournaments at msg with UConn Cuse Georgetown West Virginia etc were always epic. I saw the overtime game between Georgetown and West Virginia in 1999. That was cool.
    DJ3 likes this.
  20. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Looks like our remaining schedule is going to be VCU, GW and La Salle