Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2020-2021 Schedule Thread

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Five Two, Dec 5, 2019.

1. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Ken Pom preseason for non conf... I was told not to hold too much weight into this last year but seemed to be 99% correct... Quick lineup preview as well

Quite the murderers row this non conference slate...

George Mason is 112

Northeastern 170 (Playing a tougher non conf than we are including games vs Georgia and UMASS. Graduated best player and leading scorer Jordan Roland "GW kid". They also graduated their second best player as well. 5 freshmen 0 seniors on this years roster. Tyson Walker leads a team which should be in rebuilding mode and have issues scoring the rock initially. They have 7 players 6 foot 7 or taller so we shall see how our bigs match up with them. ) Prediction: WIN
    Belmont 94 (Non conference schedule incomplete at this time. They are a team that won't be as good as their KENPOM. Lost two of top 3 players from a really good team. Nick Muzinsky should be a top 5 big man Mason plays this year "not hyperbole this kid is good" so we will see early if Paulsen trusts the newly slimmer Oduro with guarding a teams best big man. They are going to score primarily from the inside so hopefully AJ stays out of foul trouble during this game as we will need him defensively. I think our guards specifically Javon should dominate.) Prediction: WIN
    Howard 256 (If Nojel Eastern gets eligibility this prediction might be wrong****. Right now Howard is not a very good basketball team that just so happens to have the best player on the court in 90% of their games. But we have AJ Wilson so not today Bison. They currently have 11 eligible players for this season. Outside of Makur Maker their lineup is not going to be very good. If we can keep him to 20 we will mop the floor with them. AJ will have to guard him so that is going to be a match up to watch. He is close to 7 feet tall and has really good handles. Prediction: WIN
    Maryland 51 (They are not very good this year. Like bottom of the Big 10 near Nebraska last year not good. But they will probably be a bit too much for us. Jalen Smith left for draft "nobody wanted to see Greg or Oduro guard him". But... the return Wiggins and Morsell and add BC transfer Jarius Hamilton. Hamilton vs AJ is another instant classic matchup to watch out for. They had a crap recruiting class and their coaches seat should be just as warm as Paulsen's. Prediction: LOSS
    Morgan St 331 (One of the worst teams in D1, but should stack up some wins with the worst non conference schedule I have ever seen. 2 D2 teams and Mason is far and away the best team on their schedule this entire year. They return 2 of their best 3 players but that shouldn't mean much. Kam Murrell would probably start on this team. Prediction: WIN
    JMU 270 (They have Matt Lewis and a couple other starters are back. They will end up being much better than 270 but still shouldn't be very good this year. Joel Mensah "big from SDSU" gets eligibility and will provide issues with us down low. If Javon and Jordan can stop their guards from scoring we should win this with ease. This is definitely one of the upset alert games on the schedule that I think we could lose. Prediction: WIN
    ODU 99 (They return everyone off a really bad team. They add URI transfer Mekhi Long and KSU transfer Austin Trice. In theory they should be better than us. I think they will be highly competitive in a bad CUSA this year though. I think this will be a very close game and we definitely could pull out the W but ODU seems too deep for us with scoring that somebody is bound to go off with our ole defense. Prediction: LOSS
    Coppin St 340 (Another of the worst teams in D1 but they are coached by UMD favorite Juan Dixon. They return 1 of their top 3 players from a really bad team last year. Former Mason recruit and St Joe's commit Chereef Knox will be in attendance redshirting this year. This should be a 20 point win but Mason will probably win in OT by 3. Prediction: WIN
    Towson 199 (They are pretty damn bad themselves. They play 4 other A10 teams and we are last on the schedule so we should have a really good idea of them and conference opponents which is very valuable. They lost almost everyone off of a good team last year and this season should be a rebuild. I do not see us losing to our former CAA foe. Prediction:WIN

Mason OOC prediction 7-2
  2. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Im the same down the line other than the ODU game, I think we matchup well and will win that by 7+ on the neutral court. I think the Belmont game might be a coin flip but I think we should win that as well.
  3. JPgmuswim

JPgmuswim Starter

Probably free if you tell her you’re distant cousins of Otis.
    tblack33, The Great PATSby and gmutom like this.
  4. MasonFanatic

MasonFanatic All-Conference

Very reasonable. Not sure our second loss will be ODU, but 7-2 is about right for that schedule.
  5. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I'm also in the "7-2 OOC boat" but I also think 11-7 in conference is possible so I probably have my blinders on.
  6. phoenix-arizona

phoenix-arizona All-Conference

Maybe enough to get some NIT buzz if A10 tournament is a bust.
  7. sleeperpick

sleeperpick Hall of Famer

Absolutely not unless we murder the A10
    MasonFanatic and DJ3 like this.
  8. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Yeah with this schedule it's either going to be NCAA tourney or bust. Can't see a scenario where the 4th or 5th team in the A10 gets an NIT birth. If they even do the NIT this year...
    DJ3 and sleeperpick like this.
  9. Five Two

Five Two All-American

I hadn't noticed, but our game against Maryland on Dec 4 is a 3pm tip on BTN.
  10. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-American

tblack33 likes this.
  11. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

I'm a lil shocked AJ isn't one.
    jessej and FreeGunston12 like this.
  12. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

A little surprised at these selections, but I don't have insight into those dynamics so I'm assuming these are the right guys for the job, hope they are ready and understand what it really means to be a leader. I'd assume that means that the starting PG job is Hartwell's to lose.
    mkaufman1 and FreeGunston12 like this.
  13. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    4h

Could add Oakland to this list as well:

At Xavier
    Bradley (neutral)
    At Michigan
    At Purdue
    At Oklahoma State
    At Michigan State

Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · 7h

Non Power Conference teams who have assembled quality non-conference schedules:

Saint Louis
    Richmond
    Davidson
    Rhode Island
    Davidson
    St. Joe's
    VCU

Northern Iowa
    Utah State
    San Diego State
    UNLV
    Saint Mary's
    BYU
    Western Kentucky
    San Francisco
  14. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    28m

Saint Louis has now sent out a release that it will host the Billiken Classic at Chafeitz Arena.

11/25: Saint Louis vs. SIU-Edwardsville

11/26: LSU vs. SIU-Edwardsville

11/28: LSU vs. Saint Louis

Quote Tweet

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein
    · 33m

Sources: Saint Louis is withdrawing from the Golden Window Classic in Nebraska and will instead play games at home during the first week of the season due to COVID-19.
  15. Patriotsince81

16. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

I think this is the most fair way to approach it. I do hope that if the students don't fill their allocation in the first few games, the AD looks at reallocating some of those seats over to season ticket holders for A10 play.

I know a couple of you on this board are probably right up at the top of the priority points list.
    jessej likes this.
  17. Patriotsince81

I don't like that it's based, to an extent, on amount given this year. Had I known that in advance I would have donated my usual amount. Because of Covid I donated to Inova Health and St. Jude instead of GMU.
    sleeperpick and tblack33 like this.
  18. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Yeah I had purposely been holding my donation until we got info on the game situation, and instead bought a couple cardboard cutouts while we were waiting on the announcement, but I can't imagine that too many people donated this year.
    Patriotsince81 likes this.
  19. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Also, not a shot at them what so ever, but in their own interest I hope some of our extremely elderly fans think hard about their decision to attend games. If there was ever a year for some of our geriatric givers to sit out, this would probably be it.
    GMUgemini and Patriotsince81 like this.
  20. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

They also calculate a lot of other things in the formula including consecutive years and total. I'm sure you'll be at the top. I'm actually curious where I rank since this is my 9th year technically.

I agree, although I have to think many fans will likely sit out. I would think every game will sell out but theres a chance some of the crappier ones may not. Maybe some folks just pick 1 game to go to this year.
    Patriotsince81 likes this.