Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2020-2021 Schedule Thread

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Five Two, Dec 5, 2019.

1. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Must be nice.
  2. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

Have to think its a buy game, unless he somehow suckered a Big Ten school that isn't too far from them into a home and home
  3. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

4. mkaufman1

mason would be invited to the bubble with Morgan state and American, let’s be real haha.

In reality I hope it’d be a good bubble of northeast teams. Maybe Georgetown and Maryland get forced into a Dc team bubble of some sort.
  5. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Maryland, American, Georgetown, Mason, William and Mary, Towson, GW (we don't play), Loyola, UMES, Navy, UMBC, Morgan St, Coppin St, Mt St Mary's, Delaware St in the Gaylord/MGM... They can set up at least 4 basketball courts in there and probably another couple outside for practice.... weak as our OOC was going to be anyways so I don't mind it.
  6. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

That link said 20-32 teams in Houston for SLU...you could probably also include all the Virginia schools in there (UVA, Tech, ODU, Hampton, JMU, Richmond, VCU, Norfolk State) -- am I missing any D1 programs? Oh, Howard...

Also, why Delaware St and not Delaware?
  7. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Clicked an NCAA google maps link for closest schools in proximity to MGM.. no reasoning behind teams other than closest location, which Delaware St is closer per that link. I missed typing Howard though for sure.
  8. mkaufman1

It would be very amusing if a pandemic is what gets Georgetown to finally play the likes of Mason and GW.
    jessej, Walter and GMUgemini like this.
  9. Five Two

Five Two All-Conference

A few years ago the A10 women's and CAA women's tournaments were held at the Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro, MD as both conferences were looking for neutral sites and in the middle of the conference footprint. This was before the new Mystics arena in SE DC. As you can imagine, its a terrible place for basketball. The A10's attendance was meh. The CAA did well as JMU and Delaware brought big crowds. These were the Elana Della Donne years at UD. All of the teams and out of town fans stayed at the Gaylord or Hampton Inn at National Harbor. I was overheard by one of the conference execs saying they should set up the court in the atrium of the Gaylord as they'd get more fans to watch. I was half joking, but the precedent had been set with Battle of Atlantis and others playing in hotel ballrooms. The conference exec wasnt too pleased with my idea. But now all those Nov tournaments in the Caribbean are in hotel ballrooms.

All this to say, I think playing at the Gaylord bubble makes a lot of sense.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  10. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

Sources: If college basketball begins on 11/25 or 12/4, Mohegan Sun has emerged as a bubble location to host teams in December that were scheduled for the following early season events:

Empire Classic
    Gotham Classic
    Legends Classic
    Hall-of-Fame Tipoff
    Hall-of-Fame Invitational

1:44 PM · Aug 28, 2020
  11. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    14h

Source: Winthrop is emerging as a potential bubble location for both power conference teams & mid-major programs in college basketball. Could be a golden opportunity during the "Golden Window" for mid-majors to get non-conference games if they're not in early season tournaments.
  12. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Jon Rothstein
    @JonRothstein

·
    7h

Well embedded moles in Kingston continue to rave about URI's Jeremy Sheppard, who redshirted last season. Could be Rams' 2nd best player. Averaged 9.2 PPG as a freshman at ECU
  13. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Nah he sucks I heard -Jim
  14. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

He can really shoot it. Played HS ball in Richmond and I saw him absolutely torch some teams. But not surprised Jon’s “moles” on the URI coaching staff are hyping one of their players ...
  15. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

What does "hyping" up a potentially highly touted player look like? Asking for a friend.