Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2020-2021 Schedule Thread

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Five Two, Dec 5, 2019.

1. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

after signing their 7th recruit in 2020, Duquesne is now 3 scholarships over the limit. Last year they were 1 over the limit right up until the season started. Can someone smarter than me tell me what is going on? I feel like I have asked this 3 times and never got an answer that makes sense. @Pablo I hate to task you but if anyone can find out exactly why this can happen it would be you. Are they waiting for 3 people to transfer out that are currently on the roster? They really only have one returnee as a transfer candidate from MPG and stats alone (not a Duquesne expert by any means).

Their new 2020 freshman class:
    Acuff: offered by pretty much entire MAC and UMASS
    Okani: offered by Minnesota, UMASS, Coastal Carolina and Hofstra
    Chad Baker: no other offers
    Andre Harris: offered by Washington St, New Mexico, Tulsa, St John's, Georgetown and TCU (this kid is gonna be huge)
    Bekelja: D2 schools
    Mounir Hima: offered by VCU, Rhode Island, UMASS, BONA
    Jett Roesing: (great name) offered by UMASS, Towson, Fordham and low level D1.

My only thoughts are that Baker and Bekelja are PFO but that would still put them over the scholarship limit. I am probably going to tweet at the nice Duquesne fan. I get consistently every year recruiting over kids and cutting their scholarships (believe it or not we do it cough JDS cough) and I approve of this if you do it rarely. Just throwing this topic out there to see if anyone can help provide clarity.
  2. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://duquesnefans.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3906&p=1:

"I agree. Regardless of what's going on, it doesn't look good. There should never be anything to hide, so they need to figure out the roster, and then make it public. Outsiders are looking askance at the program. We may say 'to hell with them', but it's a position I think we'd prefer not to be in."
  3. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

My Duquesne twitter friend got back to me and says dambrot always over recruits one spot per year fearing attrition. This year it looks like he has 2 more guys than scholarships as nobody left like he thought. This guy thought dambrot might ask two recruits to prep a year and reclassify. What a game plan?!?!?
  4. Walter

Walter All-American

Must be nice to have a coach that can get players other programs want and not just diamonds in the rough.
    Patriot8 likes this.
  5. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

6. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

Considering everyone goes to service academies for free, I don’t think that it matters how many “scholarships” they offer.